Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, strange question. Yesterday was the first time I really engaged the Warn Premiums on the truck in the freezing cold. I've had the standard manual hubs and never had a problem. The Premiums, however, have smaller slots for my fingers to go in and are a little less forgiving with the metal sharp edges. I know I have big fingers, but it was almost painful to turn them all the way around, compared to my standard that I just flipped over.

So, I'm wondering, does anyone make any kind of a tool, whether made of poly or metal or whatever, that fits inside the half moon cutouts on the hubs and allows you better leverage to turn them? I know I can't be the only one this affects, so I'm hoping someone knows what I'm talking about here...

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
warn specifically makes a tool for doing this, it's big red and plastic. vicegrips work, but tend to eat up the finish.

well, i can;t seem to find one. maybe they didn't sell well or something. anyway it was two tabs that went in the finger holes and the back had a BIG hex grip on it. it was designed so you didn't have to take your gloves off to lock the hubs in.

Justin

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
I've had to use a pliers or wrench on mine since day one. well i guess day 2 after then had mud and shit in them

·
ford freak
731 Posts
Ive heard of people making a tool out of a piece of PVC. what you do is cut a slot in one end so it fits in the hub and then you have something to twist with.
just a thought.

here is a quick sketch of one. you can wrap the tube in that anti slip stuff, or drill through it and stick a rod through if its really stuck.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I am trying to track down that tool. I want to say the same people that make the Hi-Lift handle isolators make them.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
The blizzard just started here, so I just went out to my Bronco to get my snow brush and to lock my Warn premium hubs. I tell ya, I almost busted my damn fingers getting those bitches to turn. Almost wish I went with the regular ones, but I was afraid those were TOO easy to turn. I like to use a shop rag, jam it in the slots, and push while I turn. That usually works well, 'cept for these times when it's cold as a witch's tittie out.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys -- now I KNOW I'm not the only one.

I don't want to use anything that would damage the finish, that's why I was thinking poly. The one that is made of plastic and specifically fits in the slots sounds like exactly what we're looking for.

Now who's going to find it first?

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
dude i got a pack of hotdogs for hands and i have no problems turning them. just so you know i wear a size 16 wedding band

·
Registered
826 Posts
Are you guys not lubing the hubs with anti sieze? I wouldnt want to use a tool on the hub locks, too much torque can be a bad thing.
You might also consider just leaving them locked in for the winter season.

Auto hubs FTW
:goodfinge:goodfinge:goodfinge

·
Premium Member
2,196 Posts
Warn actually makes a knob for these and I've seen them for sale in a Jeep catelog (I think it was 4WD Hardware) but I can't find the item on line and my catelog is at home.

·
Engineer
13,165 Posts
Are you guys not lubing the hubs with anti sieze? I wouldnt want to use a tool on the hub locks, too much torque can be a bad thing.
You might also consider just leaving them locked in for the winter season.

Auto hubs FTW
:goodfinge:goodfinge:goodfinge
Front locker and snow sucks if you're driving but great if you're breaking trail, or getting into the driveway. I run 2wd pretty much all the time and I know I get a lot more snow than all of you. They plowed our roads down to pavement this week for the first time since thanksgiving so that was exciting. Auto hubs are pieces of shit

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts

·
Registered
3,716 Posts
Ive heard of people making a tool out of a piece of PVC. what you do is cut a slot in one end so it fits in the hub and then you have something to twist with.
just a thought.

here is a quick sketch of one. you can wrap the tube in that anti slip stuff, or drill through it and stick a rod through if its really stuck.

good idea.....a piece of pvc and a hacksaw....you could make one for next to nothing.

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
i dont know what the deal is. what is so hard to turn on them? they are not hard to turn and mine were used. mike2 gave them to me and i have no probs. hell my 5 year old can turn them by hand

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
only time i have issues is if i'm wearing gloves and don't want to take them off. otherwise for me it's just a matter of cleaning the dials whenever I repack the bearings. (every 18 months or so)

Justin

·
Registered
4,684 Posts
I've never had a problem turning them yet. If that tool is solid plastic, how's it going to "snap" just turning hub locks? If they're that hard to turn, something's wrong or broken.

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I've never had a problem turning them yet. If that tool is solid plastic, how's it going to "snap" just turning hub locks? If they're that hard to turn, something's wrong or broken.
I would have to agree. There is no central weak point on it for it to snap at. Plus like everyone else has said, they shouldnt be THAT hard to turn.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts