Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I’m almost done with the overhaul of my front end and decided to go ahead and upgrade the manual locking hubs to the Warn premium. My question is, my spindle nut looks like the one in the first picture, will it work with the Warn hubs or do I need the type like in the 2nd picture and is one stronger/better than the other?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Addicted to Junk
10,866 Posts
You'll need to convert to the ones in the second pic.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Personal opinion, but I much prefer the OE manual hubs. The Warns are difficult to turn in the best of conditions and really suck when wet or muddy. Also the bolts they use for attaching rust and strip very easily. Never had an issue with the OEs

·
Addicted to Junk
10,866 Posts
The originals were Warns iirc.

I'll also comment that the screws warn was using a couple years ago would break off really really easy. Finding those locally is almost impossible.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
You'll need to convert to the ones in the second pic.
are you sure about that?

if a bronco came with manual hub locks, then they shouldn't need the conversion. the conversion is only for going from auto to manual hubs. ... at least that was my understanding.

when i first got my bronco, i found that the PO did not replace the spindle nuts. at first i was going to try to use the locks like the OP showed that i found at a JY. i like the mechanism of them better, even having used the conversion nuts.

the problem i ran into was that they wouldn't fit. however, it wasn't b/c they were too big. i was new and didn't realize i needed to push the axle through the hub all the way with a screwdriver. i learned that later. so...had i known to push the axle through all the way i would have been able to use the OEM spindle nuts.

here's the thread:

·
Addicted to Junk
10,866 Posts
are you sure about that?

if a bronco came with manual hub locks, then they shouldn't need the conversion. the conversion is only for going from auto to manual hubs. ... at least that was my understanding.
I'm almost 100% positive. Though I did miss the part where he had manuals to begin with...

I know @miesk5 will know for sure.

EDIT: are those ratcheting nuts RH and LH threads, respectively, like on a Sterling? If so that would require different spindles to use the dual nut and washer setup.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
EDIT: are those ratcheting nuts RH and LH threads, respectively, like on a Sterling? If so that would require different spindles to use the dual nut and washer setup.
those are the OEM spindle nuts that ford used with ford manual hub locks. i've pulled 3 of them from the JY, each off different vehicles.

·
Addicted to Junk
10,866 Posts
My 85 didnt have those. It has the standard 2 nut set. Neither has the few I've pulled in the JYs.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
My 85 didnt have those. It has the standard 2 nut set. Neither has the few I've pulled in the JYs.
hmmm...that's odd. i know you spend a lot of time in the JY. i wonder if they were swapped by previous owners. surely ford didn't use multiple spindle nuts designs at the same time? or maybe they did. no telling...

·
Addicted to Junk
10,866 Posts
The '80 F250 with d44HD I recently pulled the pumpkin from had factory ford lockouts and the two nut setup. That's the only one I can be SURE about. What years have you seen those ratchets in? I'm wondering if it coincides with the latest spindle change in like 94? When they went to the 3 bolt auto lockouts.

My 96 d60 had MM lockouts put on by the PO, but he didn't convert the nuts and I had a wheel start working it's way off. It had a weird flanged nut that was part of the auto hubs it came with. I replaced both sides with the 2 nut setup. I know it's a d60 vs d44 ttb, but it might apply.

·
Premium Member
3,321 Posts
it's been a while since i found any, but if memory serves correctly, they were older than 92. but, that doesn't mean they weren't used in those years. but i have found most later model broncos had auto hubs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help and info guys.

After reading the comments and breaking my hubs down to inspect them and understand how they work I think I may just the the factory hubs and put the $ I was going to spend on the hubs toward and different project on my Bronco.

I do have another question though...I broke down the hubs to get a better idea of how they work and to clean them up and inspect the spring and parts. I put them back together but didn’t take enough pictures when disassembling. Is this correct, seems to me like it should be the other way around. The center gear is retracted when free and extended when locked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
23,715 Posts
Yo,

"if a bronco came with manual hub locks, then they shouldn't need the conversion. the conversion is only for going from auto to manual hubs. ... at least that was my understanding."
Broncos built from May 1995 through 96, note H; "When Replacing Automatic 3 Hole Cap Screw Hubs, You Must Purchase Corresponding Spindle Nut Conversion Kit"
Source: by Warn®

For posterity;
"just completed this exact same conversion with Warn premium hubs and something a TON cheaper than their rip-off conversion set: NAPA factory replacement wheel retainer nuts. They were only $17 each (per side, that is), but JBG has 'em for only $10 IIRC. I just didn't feel like waiting when they were in stock at NAPA. NO, you do NOT need those three washers OR the spring clip that holds them in place. I came across that problem, too. I ended up taking the rotor and hub off, just to see what the clearance between the hub lock and spindle would be, and it's too close for that clip to be in its slot; the clip completely stops the hub lock from going on the stub shaft all the way, and the washers aren't needed because the hub locks have C-clips on the ends that go on the stub shaft to keep it all in line...."
by SigEpBlue (Steve) at FSB

Our 96 XL, bought new had 3 screw automatic locking hub as standard equipment; manuals were optional across model lines.
I knew about the auto failure rate by mid-96, so we did many on beach fishing runs and each hub self mid-dtc estructed.
They were replaced under warranty, but I swapped to manual hubs.

·
Super Moderator
4,441 Posts
For what it's worth, I've had and worked on an '81, 84, 85, and 86 and have never seen those before. They've all been the double nut with the lock. Granted, they all came from the factory with manual hubs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts