Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my coolant overflow/windshield washer bottle and the pump kust wont stop dripping. I pushed it in and put the retainer ring back on and it just keeps dripping. The washer fluid bottle is brand new and the gasket on the pump seems fine??

·
~*~*~*~*~*~*~
10,097 Posts
I had to put a zip tie on the line that attaches to the pump. Mine was doing the same thing after installing a new pump.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think its leaking where the pump meets the container. But yeah I do need to put something on that line it doesn't feel right

·
Super Moderator
26,086 Posts
yo Mike;
Section 01-16: Wiper and Washer Systems
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
Installation
1.Make sure the chamber of windshield washer pump is free of foreign material prior to installing windshield washer pump into new windshield washer reservoir.
**** 2.Before installing the windshield washer pump, lubricate the outside diameter of the seal with a dry lubricant such as powdered graphite. This will prevent the seal from sticking to the wall of the windshield washer reservoir, making assembly easier. ***
*** 3.Align small projection on end cap of windshield washer pump with the slot in windshield washer reservoir.
4.Assemble windshield washer pump so seal seats against the bottom of the cavity. ***
5.Using a 25.4mm (1-inch) socket (preferably 12-point), hand-press retaining ring securely against end plate on windshield washer pump.
6.Connect headlamp dash panel junction wire (14290) and windshield washer hose.
7.Install windshield washer reservoir into vehicle as described in this section.
8.Fill windshield washer reservoir.
9. CAUTION: Do not operate windshield washer pump until fluid is added to the windshield washer reservoir.
Check washer system for proper operation.
10.Check for leaks and align the windshield washer nozzle jet and brackets (17603) if necessary.

Some use plumbers putty to seal aftermarket reservoirs; remove the pump and the reservoir; hook it up to batty power and fill res. w/fluid. use the putty or selaant of your choice and hook up an outlet hose; see if the putty stops the leak

1 17618 Windshield Washer Reservoir
2 17664 Windshield Washer Pump
3 — Retaining Ring (Part of 17K624)
A — Add Dry Lube

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why?From where? What brand is it?Does it LOOK fine? Does it FEEL fine? Have you checked for tiny cracks, debris, hard spots, deformation...? :shrug Did you apply silicone grease to it before installation?
The old one was missing the tab that holds it on
I got it from oreilys auto. Its dorman.
It feels pliable and theres no cracks visible to the naked eye.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I've got the same one. mine had a drip too and I went ahead and replaced the pump. it was old and crusty anyway. spray it with dry graphite when you install it and that will fix it.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've got the same one. mine had a drip too and I went ahead and replaced the pump. it was old and crusty anyway. spray it with dry graphite when you install it and that will fix it.
Perfect thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
another thing you might want to do. the 2 tabs on top the new tank only one has a bolt in it the 2nd has no hole in the truck for it. go ahead and drill a hole in the metal bracket and add the 2nd bolt. I had a new tank and went to check the spark plugs and broke the unbolted tab off. autozone swapped the tank and I added the bolt no problem since.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts