Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So yesterday it decided to be 70* so I decided to take advantage of it and wash my '86, get all of the road salt off of it. I hadn't done anything aesthetic to it since i bought it so it really was about time.

Anyway washing was no big deal, took about 45 minutes to clean it up, but then i decided to be smart and wax it. Figured that even though it's still salt season, the wax would help the dirt just fall off next time.

So i started waxing. started at the drivers front fender and decided to go in a circle around the truck CCW. get a coat on the whole thing, wipe down, recoat, etc.

Well I made it back around to where I started and there was no wax haze :shrug

I'm the only one there so i'm a bit confused, so I just keep waxing- figured i must've started at the door or something. Well i made it to the tailgate seeing no haze so i stopped and just walked around the truck looking; there was no haze anywhere. :doh0715: Now I know I'd definitely started before this point, so i'm still a tad confused.

That's when i realized what was going on; it'd been so long since the last time the truck was waxed that the wax was just soaking into the paint :shocked

Finally after i got the third coat on the truck it hazed out so I was actually able to buff it, but i've never had a vehicle take so much wax just to get a "base" on it. It took 3/4 of a normal size wax tub (~4" dia, 1.25" deep).

Prior to this the worst car i ever had to work out was a '66 VW i had that had sat under a pigeon roost for 15 years and it only took two coats to be able to buff.

But hey, spending 6 hours doing this yesterday means it'll only take an hour next time plus the truck'll look good in the meantime :chili:

Justin

·
Formerly vt89gtvert
2,425 Posts
ah reminds me i gots to wax mine and my dads lol
Yeah, having 5 vehicle makes wax day a bitch.....

:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead:banghead

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
I don't live near the ocean and we don't get snow here... so I don't even wash or wax my 1990. I do hose it off.

Forget about about waxing to prevent rust... its the other side of the panel and the undercarriage you should be washing out.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
mine hasnt been waxed since Ive owned it, it usually will only get the mud rinsed off of it

·
It's BTW Not AKA!
5,354 Posts
I wax at least once every three months.

If you have a decent clear coat still intact, there is no reason why your paint should be soaking up wax.

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I wax at least once every three months.

If you have a decent clear coat still intact, there is no reason why your paint should be soaking up wax.
Did I ever say the clearcoat was still intact :toothless the truck looks good, but it's at the point where I'm going to have to keep it waxed to prevent further deterioration of the paint. The hood's the worst, it took 4 coats before i could buff it out and looking at it today in the rain it still needs more.

Justin

·
Registered
457 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
wax and wash what is that the only time i wash mine is when it is time to get it inspected otherwise just a rinse

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
pledge is actually a pretty good idea. I'll try it on my hood once it stops raining since if it gets screwed up i'm not out anything.

Justin

·
Registered
271 Posts
Well since you have so much practice at it, ill have to run my truck over to your house next time its nice out and you can do mine. :thumbup

Matt

·
has no skidplate
4,322 Posts
pledge is actually a pretty good idea. I'll try it on my hood once it stops raining since if it gets screwed up i'm not out anything.

Justin
it's an old ambulance crew trick from wax day, my dad used to have to go outside and smell their trucks, if it was lemon scented he made the crews wash and wax it again

·
Registered
1,573 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well since you have so much practice at it, ill have to run my truck over to your house next time its nice out and you can do mine. :thumbup

Matt

Nah, but i will sit there and watch while drinking beer while giving constructive criticism :thumbup

Justin

·
Registered
54 Posts
why not just use some baby oil.. LoL 6 hours, I wouldnt have made it 2 without breaking the buffer out....

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
So yesterday it decided to be 70* so I decided to take advantage of it and wash my '86, get all of the road salt off of it. I hadn't done anything aesthetic to it since i bought it so it really was about time.

Anyway washing was no big deal, took about 45 minutes to clean it up, but then i decided to be smart and wax it. Figured that even though it's still salt season, the wax would help the dirt just fall off next time.

So i started waxing. started at the drivers front fender and decided to go in a circle around the truck CCW. get a coat on the whole thing, wipe down, recoat, etc.

Well I made it back around to where I started and there was no wax haze :shrug

I'm the only one there so i'm a bit confused, so I just keep waxing- figured i must've started at the door or something. Well i made it to the tailgate seeing no haze so i stopped and just walked around the truck looking; there was no haze anywhere. :doh0715: Now I know I'd definitely started before this point, so i'm still a tad confused.

That's when i realized what was going on; it'd been so long since the last time the truck was waxed that the wax was just soaking into the paint :shocked

Finally after i got the third coat on the truck it hazed out so I was actually able to buff it, but i've never had a vehicle take so much wax just to get a "base" on it. It took 3/4 of a normal size wax tub (~4" dia, 1.25" deep).

Prior to this the worst car i ever had to work out was a '66 VW i had that had sat under a pigeon roost for 15 years and it only took two coats to be able to buff.

But hey, spending 6 hours doing this yesterday means it'll only take an hour next time plus the truck'll look good in the meantime :chili:

Justin
Am I the only one that smells bullshit here? I have waxed many vehicles.

First off, you are supposed to wax only 1 panel at a time,at most, and every time I've waxed a vehicle it dried to a haze before the panel was finished. Granted, this is summer time, but at 70* if I were to start at my DS fender and go around, I can assure you that I would not only see swirls from the wax, but it would also be hazy.

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
I don't know? I know a couple of people that will tell me to my face while the sun is in my eyes that it is cloudy. I don't know why they do it, they just do.
I just never heard of nor witnessed wax disappearing after it is applied

·
green ones make me horny
11,136 Posts
i just think his truck is oxidized and is sucking all the really light coats he is using up. I myself do one panel at a time, it is easier that way

1 - 20 of 29 Posts