Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i looked on Ryans site and didnt see it. i was guessing that it was his kit but i could be wrong. search didnt help much. thanks, AXE

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Are you talking about upgrading an existing alt? Does this sound like what you mean?
3G 200Amp Rectifier $75.00
Converts your 130Amp 3G alternator into a 200+Amp animal!
Fits 148mm 3G Alternators, typically called “130A Large case 3G.”
Will not fit 135mm 3G Alternators, typically called “95A Small Case 3G.”
Requires alternator disassembly and soldering at 6 points.
If so, look down at the bottom of this page.
http://fordfuelinjection.com/?p=67

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
cool thanks. i didnt look there i guess.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Fellas;

I am gonna do this upgrade, so if I were to go to the junkyard what is the best model of vehicle to grab a 130 amper from for my 79/460

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
do a search for 3g swap or 3g alt and you will find lists of things to pull from. i had good luck with any 3.8 motor v6 or and 3g mustang or thunderbird.....just did 2 more this weekend and pulled mine from 3.8 v6 taruras cars. as a kit goes need to be clear to upgrade to a 3G or upgrade a 3G? ryan got it all, but i hate waiting so i gone local on my adventures. Batterys plus OO welding cable for charge and new battery wires ($25)(OO is way over kill but i like the bulk look and i not had any issues yet. you can get 2 guage wire) i like to use a 175 or 200 circuit breaker (easy to reset in the field-i like to lose things and a lost fuse out in the sticks will suck)it is easy to push a reset button($30)so for $70 i never had anyone say they were dissatified paying the price so far. ech place i done one has been very noticable upgrade.........mike
when getting a 3G from the junk yard make sure you get the correct 12-6 mount and or correct case size. i got the 10-2 mount a couple times (these make good welder alt or 2nd add in alts for 2nd batterys if you have the need for power...mike

·
Practicing Infidel
15,299 Posts
Paully33 said:
Fellas;

I am gonna do this upgrade, so if I were to go to the junkyard what is the best model of vehicle to grab a 130 amper from for my 79/460
Can't speak to a 460 Paully

but as a fellow V-belter(86') I had no trouble making the Taurus large case bolt in. Even lined up with the pulley centers.

Also a very cheap case in junkyards too.

Sixlitre

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
i just decided to spend the cash and get mine redone at the local alt. shop. Now that I took the stereo out of my car and put it in my bronco the stock alt. can't hang anymore. with the electric fan, a/c, stereo (not even turned up loud), and headlights my battery will almost drain at a stop light for a min lol. I know it's cheaper to do it myself and would rather do it myself but it's 110 degrees here right now so I am willing to fork out 250 to have it done while I chill in the pool.

·
Registered
2,734 Posts
the 79 have a sweep style mount so eather will bolt right in. i used the pulley off of a a older vbelt tarus 4 door and it went right on no spacers. i seen a few people place a washer behind to give alittle more clearence.it is a trial and error thing....mike

·
scrounger extrordinaire
4,775 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i found 2 3G's and dropped them off at the alternator place AFTER i looked at which case had the mounts opposed 180* and had the other case swapped to match. now i have 2 identical alts that have both been tested at well over 150 amps each. they are on my 460 in my 79. look in my superford. there should be some pictures there. no clue what they came out of, sorry.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
collinsperformance said:
do a search for 3g swap or 3g alt and you will find lists of things to pull from. i had good luck with any 3.8 motor v6 or and 3g mustang or thunderbird.....just did 2 more this weekend and pulled mine from 3.8 v6 taruras cars. as a kit goes need to be clear to upgrade to a 3G or upgrade a 3G? ryan got it all, but i hate waiting so i gone local on my adventures. Batterys plus OO welding cable for charge and new battery wires ($25)(OO is way over kill but i like the bulk look and i not had any issues yet. you can get 2 guage wire) i like to use a 175 or 200 circuit breaker (easy to reset in the field-i like to lose things and a lost fuse out in the sticks will suck)it is easy to push a reset button($30)so for $70 i never had anyone say they were dissatified paying the price so far. ech place i done one has been very noticable upgrade.........mike
when getting a 3G from the junk yard make sure you get the correct 12-6 mount and or correct case size. i got the 10-2 mount a couple times (these make good welder alt or 2nd add in alts for 2nd batterys if you have the need for power...mike
Can you take a picture of this push-rest type circuit-breaker and where did you get it at ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts