Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been noticing lately that ive been getting water in my pass floor, its coming from the heater box i believe, if i reach my hand up in the right upper corner of the pass side near the kick panel there is water in there, not much but enough to overflow and run down and lay on top of my floor mat. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
I have a very good idea on what is happening to your truck....

Read this thread water leak in windshield wiper 'cowl'

My contribution begins at post #40 but there are several other contributors to the thread as well.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Ughhh im dreading this so much. Ill look up in there in the morning to see if i can get a pic or look of where its coming from. Maybe the drain is clogged? Anyway to access it without removing the wheel well liner

also isnt the heater box sealed? I know its connected to the opening in the firewall but Hows it getting into the box itself?

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Ughhh im dreading this so much. Ill look up in there in the morning to see if i can get a pic or look of where its coming from. Maybe the drain is clogged? Anyway to access it without removing the wheel well liner
Most likely not. To do my job I pulled the whole front end off. I did the whole thing and since completing it I have not had the first leak. It is a huge job, but I am glad my carpet isn't wet anymore...

On other thing you may look at before tackling the wiper cowl...
Check your A/C / Heater box in the engine compartment. Your gasket between the firewall and heater bx may be bad. You cay get away with sealing the top of it so the rain doesn't trickle down the firewall and into your cab.

·
Premium Member
5,774 Posts
I had the same exact problem and it ended up being what klh95bronco mentioned, the cracked seal around the HVAC box. They used some sort of sealant around the box which cracks over time, I just filled in the cracks with black RTV and it solved the problem

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Update, i went and looked in the box, everything is dry on the inside above underneath the cowl. I was looking and kept thinking where is this water coming from. Well with some help from my phone i could see there is actually water in the box beyond that plastic grate. Know i know it cant be coming from the bottom. I noticed the seal on the fresh air door was wet, i traced it up to the top of the door. Heres a pic i got with my phone and can see what appears to be the water trail. Look at the upper right where the door pivots.

6CE3FE30-FA4C-48AB-AEB0-46F9F4BAFEE9.jpeg

I got some water in a cup and poured it on the cowl. Water runs right over the edge and comes down to the point on the cowl edge and drips right on the door actuator pivot

3A35F5C9-4159-4494-857C-89FAC4EF9BD1.jpeg

I used the burst photo setting and captured it perfectly.

heres the drop of water landing right on the fresh air door pivot

F0210C06-3C1E-4E71-AB57-4EEAC1331015.jpeg

EFC9AEE6-6D15-4259-8D28-34A2FE68D2DC.jpeg

64E05400-529B-45B3-9C39-0832B9E746B6.jpeg

Now my next question is, is there a seal in there that can be replaced? There is a small gap where arm attaches too but not sure sealant would work since it moves, maybe an o ring? Also i guess while im figuring out a way to seal the pivot point i need to get that old sealer from around the box and re seal it with some super urethane. Also i may try to make something to divert the water from laying on the box either with a piece of aluminum or making a drip rail with rubber weather stripping. What do yall think? Also are these door vacuum actuators even available still?

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
Check to see if your hood seal is in place and in good quality. It should shed the rain water away from that area you are speaking of.

This is what I am talking about, Item #1 Hood, Door and Window Rubber

I did notice from your pictures your sealant around your heater box is cracked. That needs to be replaced too.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The hood to cowl seal is there but it doesnt extend the full length of the cowl, at least mine doesnt anyway, from what i can find on google images it doesnt go the full length, it stops right before the hinges. yeah the sealer is pretty brittle, looks like it will come up easily, i think im going to get a new vacuum actuator and swap it out, when i have the vacuum actuator out im going to clean off that old sealer on the top of the box and reseal it with super urethane. I still have to come up with a plan for that area above the heater box

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok heres my short term fix, and by short term i mean till the weekend.

F078C374-E5FC-4BD4-B281-D1FC35E90697.jpeg

its raining pretty good tonight, im going to check the heater box in the morning. I have two cowl seals ordered, one to replace the original and im going to use the other new one and hopefully make pieces that will extend the seal the full length of the cowl. Hey at least the folgers lid matches the coffee can vacuum reservoir lol

·
Premium Member
3,319 Posts
my windshield leaks on both sides. when i park on the bronco side of the house, it sits partially under the overhang. so i have to make sure i don't pull up too far as to allow the runoff to drop on the cowl. otherwise the floor will be soaked.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quick update, there was water in the box this morning. Wtf. Got home tonight and the cowl seals arrived from summit, swapped the cowl seal out. Had to cut a slight rounded spot out for wiper motor clearance. I cut off about 12” of the other new cowl seal and got it to fit pretty good. I poured water over the pass side area of the cowl and it doesnt spill over directly onto the box anymore. Some water still gets partially on the box from the fender and then drips right on top of the body of the vacuum actuator and drips on the box. When i redo the sealer im going to run a bead of sealer across the box underneath where the vacuum actuator sits to prevent the water from pooling up and also keep it away from the rubber grommet that the vacuum lines run through. Upon water testing the cowl seals i noticed when i poured water over the pass side cowl, right where those perforated holes end the water actually runs down the firewall and right on top of the heater core pipes. The actual cowl drain doesnt go the full length of the perforated holes. There was some foam pieces that were loose up in the cowl by the pass side hinge, they were tore so i pulled the pieces out. It looks like there was foam in there to direct the water into the cowl drain? Checked inside the box and sure enough in the upper corner it was wet, the sealer is gone from around the heater core pipes and that upper corner of the box to the firewall from when it broke away when i changed heater hoses. So this weekend im going to take the heater hoses loose, clean out that old sealer across the top of the box and then reseal the top and around the heater core pipes, hopefully that will take care of my heater box leaks. Still have to make the other cowl seal piece for the drivers side.

·
Premium Member
1,083 Posts
One other test you can do is to take your wiper cowl off and use your water hose on the inside of that chamber. By directing water on specific areas of the wiper cowl chamber you can find where the chamber is leaking. My biggest leak was from the inside of the wiper cowl chamber above the heater box. I found it by letting the water hose run on certain spots and when the water came through, I knew I had found my leak.

It is a huge job to do, but like I said in my post above, I no longer have any water coming in to my truck and the hassle was well worth the results.

Don't give up !!!

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Im dreading pulling it off, i dont think theres a issue with the cowl chambers but theres about a 1” where theres metal below the perforations in the cowl, the water is running down by the hood hinge and on top of the heater box where it meets the firewall.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I was able to pull the two heater hoses and reseal the top of box and around the heater core tubes before the rain came this evening. Also replaced the vacuum actuator for max ac since i had to take it off to reseal the top of the box Im going to check in the motning but hopefully its dry in the box.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Checked it sunday morning and it was dry, also ended up washing my truck sunday afternoon and it was still dry. Hopefully it stays that way lol. Thanks all for the suggestions

1 - 16 of 16 Posts