Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Next weekend I plan to do the water pump on my 302, I have read the post about broken bolts and people saying heat, penetrating oil, are the best to keep from braking the bolts, does anyone have opinions on using a cordless impact to shock the bolts loose??????

·
Registered
4,923 Posts
Soaking them over night helps a ton. Just spray them down good, get a rag and put it over the bolt, then spray the rag, this will keep it soaking all night. Then get a propane torch the next day, hit it for about 3-4 minutes or more and then try it. I like Sea Foam a lot.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alright, I need another opinion..... Walked out fromthe store and there was a puddle of coolant under the truck, the water pump is being replaced cause the seal was bad and leaking, I have to wait till parts are delived to do the work, any1 think ATV will seal it in the mean time - just a few days

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
best not to chance it. if you aint doing it till next weekend i would spray the bolts everyday this week real good.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Screw it bought another water pump tonight, and going to do it tomorrow, any1 need to buy a brand new water pump cheap????????????????

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Jlep said:
Screw it bought another water pump tonight, and going to do it tomorrow, any1 need to buy a brand new water pump cheap????????????????
How cheap???

·
Registered
56 Posts
If the bolts are tough to get out, work them back & forth and keep backing them out a bit at a time. Keep spraying them while you do it. If you're patient you shouldn't snap any.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
go to the zone ro wal mart and buy you a cheap torch cause if them bolts hadnt been out in a while you are going to need it. also get new waterpump bolts, some antiseize, and retap your holes.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
If I get one that's stuck sometimes I'll tap it with a hammer as I gently put pressure on the wrench. Sometimes you've got to double up on the wrench for leverage. And some times they break. Then a pipe wrench should finish the job if it isn't busted flush with the hole. If it is then it's easy out time. On a good note. I've never broken a water pump bolt on a Ford. I've seen it done on Jeeps lots of times though. If the bolt looks coroded when it's out then replace it. Or you can be like me and roll the dice and worry about it next time. lol.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Streetgang, Make an offer 20% restocking fee isnt worth sending it back.... or just give me a call 937-361-3127. leave a voicemail if you dont get me...

·
Zombie Hunter
13,681 Posts
Jlep said:
Streetgang, Make an offer 20% restocking fee isnt worth sending it back.... or just give me a call 937-361-3127. leave a voicemail if you dont get me...

OUCH!.....PM! PM! (Private Message)......never post your phone number on a public board......you know how much information someone like Steve83 can get with that? Or some troll with nothing better to do with his time?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts