Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My water pump is going bad so I've been researching a replacement for my 351. Is it worth the extra money to purchase a "high volume" pump? Advance auto sells basic ones for like $27 but JBG and Summit sell high volume pumps for up $100. I live in Florida and it gets hot during the summer, if I'm going to replace it I want to get the best one.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I assume a 302 or 351? In my opinion, get the Motorcraft or Ford racing. Brand new Part # M-8501-C50 is about $44 at summit. It is a great idea to also get a new plate to pump and plate to timing cover gasket. The ones that come with the pumps always seem to leak.

The parts store pumps are usually cheap china castings with low grade bearings. They have lots of casting flash inside and the flange is usually not flat....you will have to replace it again very soon.

·
MARBLE GARGLER!
11,873 Posts
You do not need a high volume waterpump, Water that spends less time in the cooling tubes of the radiator does not get cooled better. I cant even think of what a h/v pump is for-

·
Registered
57 Posts
I just replaced my water pump a couple of months ago. I also contemplated installing a high volume water pump. After all of my research I determined there was not enough of a benefit to justify the cost of a high volume water pump.

·
Premium Member
4,529 Posts
I assume a 302 or 351? In my opinion, get the Motorcraft or Ford racing. Brand new Part # M-8501-C50 is about $44 at summit. It is a great idea to also get a new plate to pump and plate to timing cover gasket. The ones that come with the pumps always seem to leak.

The parts store pumps are usually cheap china castings with low grade bearings. They have lots of casting flash inside and the flange is usually not flat....you will have to replace it again very soon.
+1

·
Thanks 351w500
5,446 Posts
You do not need a high volume waterpump, Water that spends less time in the cooling tubes of the radiator does not get cooled better. I cant even think of what a h/v pump is for-
X3

Water moving to fast will not transfer the heat, which = over heating

1 - 8 of 8 Posts