1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Garage kept
1,185 Posts
verry verry fine steel wool

·
Ex Navy Nuke
5,421 Posts
Man, where have all you guys been? Vinegar and water (50/50 mix) will take that crap right off with no effort. When I worked at a saw mill they had a sprinkler to keep the logs wet in the summer. The sprinkler took a suction from the river(very hard water). The mist would get on the cars and the windshield would be completely white, impossible to see through. Most of us would carry a spray bottle of vinegar/water with us or just put it right in the washer resevoir. Works like a charm.

·
Seeking Tanelorn
21,173 Posts
Vinegar! That's what I was trying to remember!

·
Lick my balls
13,023 Posts
220 grit sandpaper on an orbital sander...................................................................or some sort of window cleaner :twak :twak :twak , duh

·
Premium Member
5,370 Posts
RLKBOB said:
If vinegar didn't work then it's not from hard water.
It could still be from hard water but they could be old and the etching has sunk into the glass, happens all the time and is why you want to wash regularly, but I guess this is the wrong forum to get that point across.:doh0715:

You need a harsh cleaner sometimes like this, but I wouldn't recommend (slightly abrasive) it unless vinager or lemon would work. http://www.zainostore.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=Z-12&Category_Code=Zaino

·
Registered
634 Posts
Sounds crazy but works great...

Use Bon Ami cleaner (yes the powder) or Bar Keepers friend (also a powder). These are like Comet or Ajax, but MUCH less abrasive. Mix them with water, until they form a paste, then rub it in in a circular motion (like wax) rinse it off before it dries.

Like I said it sounds goofy, but it works wonders...takes off hard water deposits, film, bugs, etc. Also works well if you applied Rain-X and decided you didn't like it.

BMW even apparently recommends it for their cars:

http://www.garageboy.com/bmw/bonami.html

I originally found out about it when someone posed the question of what to use to clean their windshield in Popular Mechanics, there were a ton of responses from glass shops, etc, recommending it. The I saw the Barkeepers Friend thing (they are very similar products) on Shadetree Mechanic. I've used 'em ever since.

Will

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
I don't know if anyone has mentioned this but there are a couple products I have used for water spots and for tree sap: Avon Skin So Soft (oil), Pure rubbing alcohol(seemed to work the best), goo gone, W-D40, and have used Nail polisher remover on one occasion for tree sap one day when I was extremely bored and irritated.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.