Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
green ones make me horny
11,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
okay i searched for the answer and didnt find it. so here goes.

that little hole that you have to plug in top of the t stat housing, can i runa mechanical water temp guage there to get the temps? is that what it is there for ?

·
Practicing Infidel
15,308 Posts
imlikeojnow said:
okay i searched for the answer and didnt find it. so here goes.

that little hole that you have to plug in top of the t stat housing, can i runa mechanical water temp guage there to get the temps? is that what it is there for ?
Yes you can !

BUT your gauge sensor has to have either the same threads (usually 3/8 NPT) as the hole or it has to come with adaptor fittings to get it's probe into there.

Similar to the extra adaptor fittings you see in the bottom of this mechanical oil pressure gauge package;

Many of the mechanical gauge probes are significantly bigger than the electrical sensors, like this one for the trans temp;

because of this the mechanical probes may not fit in a hole as small as 3/8 NPT;

In the above pic you can see how close you are to interfering with the operation of the T-stat, as it is.

I got away with using the Derale adjustable fan controller temp sensor in there(surrounded in orange gasket goo);

but I'm not sure your mechanical unit would be this short;

let alone have small enough threads to fit in the T-stat housing. You could drill out and re-tap the housing to accept bigger threads, but again the probe is probably too long not to interfere with the T-stat.

On many rads I've seen there's often a blocked off threaded hole in the header tank that might work for you.

Now may I please have this weeks prize for the most shameless pic whoring on the FSB board (hope they helped you imlikeojnow)

Sixlitre

1 - 2 of 2 Posts