Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a mostly stock '94 with a manual transfer case and a manual transmission. I want to waterproof it, not necessarily snorkel it, but make it so a big splash won't kill the truck.

here are the area's that i know will need addressed...

move the computer inside the cab

do something with the coil

Of course plug wires and distributor cap

make sure my vents are good for the axles/transfer case/transmission

any other area's I need to take care of? The canister? Air pump be ok? I'd like it to be buttoned up as well as a snorkeled truck, but I won't be doing anything that extreme with it.

I just finished a winch install along with a big ugly bumper, getting some new tires as soon as the wallet permits them. I live in a very remote area just a couple miles from the old tellico OHV trail system. Ever since the forest service in all their worthless pomp closed tellico all the guys around here with 4x4 wreckers for offroad recovery have either gone out of business or traded their trucks for highway rigs, so if I get stuck way out in the middle of no where, there is no one to call for a tow. Hence the new winch install after I got stuck and had to walk about 10 miles tuesday.

so, thanks in advance for the advice.

p.s. I am very capable so any mods needing done won't be an issue, I just don't want to find out the hard way that something was missed.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
ive been consistantly worried about wheel bearings. still dont have an answer as to how resistant they are to water. i know i submerged my hood at the mud bog and drove it without touching the bearings for 2 years before the right one went out (unrelated issue). you want to extent your diff vents. they end at the frame rail :shocked

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would think as long as you stayed away from synthetic grease you would be fine with your wheel bearing grease. Seems like it would evaporate out pretty quick.

I would be worried about the axle seals though as well, and yeah for sure extend all my vent tubes way higher.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I have been trying to do the same thing. Do you have a large hole in the firewall? I think the clutch rod would go through there if it was a manual. What did you do about that? Is there a grommet that is supposed to be there?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've done nothing yet, just trying to get my ducks in a row before I start.

I'm not going to worry about waterproofing the cab, I'm just trying to keep my truck from crapping out on my if I hit a big puddle a little too fast.

"don't want much do ya?"

Only for those like you who apparently don't have the knowledge to keep your opinions to yourself...

(I don't consider this flaming, but if it is, oh well)

I would think the things I mentioned would be sufficient to stop a big splash from getting me down, but if anyone has any REAL knowledge I would appreciate it. I've hand built quite a few classic cars, but never made a modern vehicle water proof. I know the 12 volt system doesn't care if it gets a little wet, so I'm not worried about it, just ignition and mechanical issues.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Don't want much do ya?
huh, i havent been in deep water for a long time, i sue to only drive a mile to school. things change, i change my views, one of my bearings got ****ed cause the grease got thrown out :toothless

·
Age. Fac ut gaudeam
3,881 Posts
I wasn't flaming you... I will congratulate you if you do it and be jealous... However, to me it sound's like a lot of work that I would dream to do in a million years. It wouldn't have occurred to me to try... I've always thought if you want it water proof then just snorkel it.

By saying "Don't want much do ya?" I was simply adding some humorous sarcasm. The thing about internet, is it doesn't allow facial expressions. I was grinning when I typed it... Maybe I should have thrown in an emote? ;)

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I would think as long as you stayed away from synthetic grease you would be fine with your wheel bearing grease. Seems like it would evaporate out pretty quick.

I would be worried about the axle seals though as well, and yeah for sure extend all my vent tubes way higher.
i wanna get the diff fluid changed, i pulled the vss once and it seemed fine then but better safe then $500 down the drain cause a damn bearing went out.

·
F.O.T.M. - MAY 2014!!!
6,255 Posts
Have you heard about the Ford Dizzy covers? You can probably find one at a JY and its a rubber boot that goes over the cap. Might want to install a electric fan with a switch so you can shut it off before splashing.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
I wasn't flaming you... I will congratulate you if you do it and be jealous... However, to me it sound's like a lot of work that I would dream to do in a million years. It wouldn't have occurred to me to try... I've always thought if you want it water proof then just snorkel it.

By saying "Don't want much do ya?" I was simply adding some humorous sarcasm. The thing about internet, is it doesn't allow facial expressions. I was grinning when I typed it... Maybe I should have thrown in an emote? ;)
im still not following (add doesnt help) are you talking about just waterproofing or are you refering to the other thread about fuel efficiency. ive learned my lesson about playing in the water. did it alot in the bkos earlier years. i juts pulled the side panels to get the carpet out of my cargo area. in the rear left corner and the space under the trim there are pitch black spots on the carpet and metal from where muddy water seeped in during one of my earlier stucks. this has been here for about 2-3 years. i also discovered minor mold growth behind some panels, and i gotta cut off some insulation where it got muddy. when i leave the windows up and the temp. is remotely hot the car will reek like hell, im guessing the mold has something to do with it. back when i did play in the water though i ran extended diff vents and thats about it. i didnt know enough to do the tranny and transfer case. never got water in the tranny though (havent checked the transfer case). i guess its because i never stopped moving in deep water and when i was stuck the truck was tilted so one side was a bit under water and the other wasnt. im actually planning a full belly pan (multiple reasons) and my gues is that at any decent speed itll deflect the water away from major components.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
Have you heard about the Ford Dizzy covers? You can probably find one at a JY and its a rubber boot that goes over the cap. Might want to install a electric fan with a switch so you can shut it off before splashing.
i got one, still gotta be mounted. quick question, will the 2 speed lincoln fans be as reliable as duel taurus fans since the 2 speeds make it basically like 2 motors? the electric fan would be a good idea. the stock fan will splash water all over the inside of the hood and then the engine will bake it on, even our pressure washer wouldnt take it off.

heres a vid back when i liked the water:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5nrlJU4Xfw

bout 2 years ago. this is a drainage ditch. i guess about 2-3 feet deep, water marks wer consistant halfway up the doors.

·
Registered
331 Posts
pfun41 - scrub molded areas with isopropyl alcohol, should kill the mold... then maybe febreeze the cab to get stale muddy water stench out... Lincoln fans are the shizzle, everybody wants em for their projects... My buddy couldnt find one for his supercharged Frankenstang so he went with the taurus fans... so they should work fine for a bronco... prolly be a bit cheaper too...

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
word, sorry for the snappy comeback to the fella above. Maybe I need a cookie...

I think a distributor cap cover would be ideal, I tried using silicone on a subaru brat that I had at one time, it made the wire boots slippery while it was still wet and they would not stay on the cap long enough for it to dry.

I would think the computer would be water sensitive, so it should go inside either the cab or have some type of box fabbed up. The coil concerns me as well.

any word on mechanical components other than the ones previously mentioned? Canister/EVAP system?

Like I said, i'm not gonna be putting this critter through any serious water, but I just don't want to be dead after hitting a puddle a little too fast.

thanks for all the info so far

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,078 Posts
While my rig is not a full on mud truck, most of what I've driven it in has been mud and water.

I've been using one of the Mustang boots for the dizzy and that helps a lot, my rig has been in water up to the hood and I've managed to keep it running, you'lll never get the dizzy fully waterproofed.

Whether you go with a snorkel or something else, you definitely want to rethink the air intake. I've never moved mine and haven't had any trouble in deep water..knock wood..I know plenty of guys that have hydrolocked sucking water into the intake that way.

I ran vent lines from my front and rear diffs, tranny and transfer case up underneath the hood. That will keep the insides safe and dry, but remember if your axle seals are bad water can get in them that way too. Some guys I know drain their diffs after running in deep water just to be safe.

As far as the computer goes..good luck with that, I put a thread up a while ago about waterproofing the EEC and really the best way is going to be relocating it to the cab. If you have the time and patience to cut and extend all the wires go for it.. I still have yet to do this and I'm on my 2nd or 3rd EEC.

·
Registered
9,790 Posts
pfun41 - scrub molded areas with isopropyl alcohol, should kill the mold... then maybe febreeze the cab to get stale muddy water stench out... Lincoln fans are the shizzle, everybody wants em for their projects... My buddy couldnt find one for his supercharged Frankenstang so he went with the taurus fans... so they should work fine for a bronco... prolly be a bit cheaper too...
i got 2 actually, came off 90's lincolns. the jy had an all you can carry special for $80. i got some sensors, relays, instrument cluster, tranny cooler, 3g alt, speaker, sway bar brackets, exhaust headpipe, and throttle body.

word, sorry for the snappy comeback to the fella above. Maybe I need a cookie...

I think a distributor cap cover would be ideal, I tried using silicone on a subaru brat that I had at one time, it made the wire boots slippery while it was still wet and they would not stay on the cap long enough for it to dry.

I would think the computer would be water sensitive, so it should go inside either the cab or have some type of box fabbed up. The coil concerns me as well.

any word on mechanical components other than the ones previously mentioned? Canister/EVAP system?

Like I said, i'm not gonna be putting this critter through any serious water, but I just don't want to be dead after hitting a puddle a little too fast.

thanks for all the info so far
i would just put a plate over that big hole in front of the engine bay where most of the water comes from, as long as your moving it should keep the majority of water away.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
move the computer inside the cab
Ummm unless there's something wrong with your bronco the ECU is inside the cab.. Only part that sticks out is the harness connector and it has a nice rubber gromet around it..

You could cut all those wires, extend them pretty far and get your ECU into the glove box.. That would be the best place for it.. or on your ceiling.. Cause if it's on the ceiling and water is getting to it, then you have more things to worry about then a shorted out ECU. :toothless

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well, I was calling a big box with a wire harness running to it my ecu, maybe that's not it. I know where my relay box is, and this is near it on the fire wall at the top of the engine bay. I thought that was my computer, I guess not then huh?:toothless

The distributor cover would be nice, and the water I would be going through I don't think I need to do anything to the intake, But I am a little worried about my charcoal canister.

thanks guys

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,078 Posts
I've never had a problem w/ my charcoal canister and it has been submerged a number of times.

·
Registered
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
cool, thanks man. I appreciate some real world advice on that.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts