Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
THE GHETTO VAQUERO
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did use the search and found some helpful stuff. But I have a different problem than what I read. The problem I'm having is there is nothing sticking out to try welding onto. The bolt in question is the one that the a/c and per steering go on. The little section of threads on that bolt is what's stuck in there. How the hell do I get this out? Or can I just drill and re-tap? Thanks for any and all help.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
Find a nut. Stick it over the broken bolt. Weld from the center. If it breaks off after that then drill it out. If you do have to drill it drill out most of the bolt and then try an easy out.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
i had a different bolt do the same thing. center punched it. Drilled it out and re-tapped it. It ended up being slightly off center, but still threaded in and sealed up.

·
Chillin on the Gulf Coast
1,596 Posts
Is it a bolt that goes through the pump timing cover and into the block? Basically is there any other parts you can take off to get to more of the bolt? If you can get to about 1/2 to 3/4" of the bolt shank (threaded or not) then you can use the external type extractors. They are much easier to use and give better results.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Yeah it is one of the long ones to the block. So I should take the timing cover off to see if I can get to more of it?
YES. I must have miss-read. I thought that what you had done. I had to take the timing cover off to fix mine.

·
Registered
9,942 Posts
:stupid
Get a good weld on em. Heat helps to break em loose.

·
Premium Member
4,799 Posts
If you take the timing chain cover off will you have access to the bolt. (it's been awhile since I've did water pumps I can't picture it in my head)

·
Registered
262 Posts
what ever you do dont damage the timing chain cover the reason i say that is i had one do the same thing to me om my 90 fsb and the bolt was fused to the cover so i couldnt remove it

·
THE GHETTO VAQUERO
2,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well that last post confirms it's going to the shop. Having it towed in the morning. I don't want to chance screwing something up. My brother in law works at the shop, and they are gonna let us do it there on his off day. Have all the tools I need there. Hope this goes well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts