Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i was wonderin if it would be better to get a 5.0l or a 5.8l engine cause my broncos 5.8l has about 150,000 miles and im def not gettin rid of my bronco so i was wonderin wat engine to drop in after mine gives out thanx :rebelflag

·
TTB for short
2,189 Posts
150,000? That things barely broke in!

In all seriousness, a 351 is a better truck motor IMHO and would definately be easier than going to a 302 (different intake manifolds, computers) If you're hearts set on a displacement replacement then go for a 460 EFI

·
Registered
893 Posts
well i just learned about a week ago that the 351 gets better gas milage than a 302(you learn something every day on this site :shrug ), so that's a hand up to the 351

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
I like the 351, the MPG is not better if you like the go pedal.
But keep it in it's power band on the highway, without upshifting on every hill, you'll get better MPG than a 302.

I get about 12MPG at a constant 90MPH
which is why my 8.8 is on life suport

·
Registered
893 Posts
ok, i was curious, what is the optimal powerband on a 351W? i'm guessing it's between 2700 and 3000?

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Correct with the stock truck intake and camshaft. Right around 2500 is what I find best.
Any faster and you'll loose MPG gain because thats a lot of weight which isn't aerodynamic

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A.
10,858 Posts
Depends, if you can run a 460 at 1800 RPM without downshifting all day, possibly
Typically the 302 is downshifting every 3 minutes, which makes it higher. Not displacment, but average RPM range.

·
Registered
10 Posts
1st of all what year is the Bronco? Is it Injected? What size tires are you running? And there is no way a 351 is going to get better mpg than a 302 if all is stock. I have a 88 bronco with a 302 and I get 14 mpg with 33 in. tires. BUT... I would like more power so I would like a 351 for the low end I would get esp. for towing my boat. Also having AOD helps for mpg. A different tranny or rear end changes everything. so I guess the question is what do you use your Bronco for?

·
Registered
185 Posts
If your not afraid of a motor swap....i would have to agree with the 460....the 351 has decent low end power...but our work truck is a early to mid 90's ford f-250 with the 460....efi....and it REALLY impresses me...the power is very touchy..very "right there".....it has a granny first gear...but leaving in 2nd with a heavy load is NO problem...the things are strong!

·
Registered
10 Posts
what about smog laws?

claybokid said:
If your not afraid of a motor swap....i would have to agree with the 460....the 351 has decent low end power...but our work truck is a early to mid 90's ford f-250 with the 460....efi....and it REALLY impresses me...the power is very touchy..very "right there".....it has a granny first gear...but leaving in 2nd with a heavy load is NO problem...the things are strong!
I like your idea but what about the smog laws in California what is the ruling on engine swaps?

·
Registered
912 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
I am probably gonna do a 351 this summer, so that I'm gonna go with that over the 302. My 302 is pretty fast but thats after an exhaust, kn, and other things like that. When I first bought it, it was really really slow, but I also bought it with 130000 miles on it. It gets 8 mpg, but I have a lead foot, so thats why.

If youre after torque, you could try to swap in a diesel, but that would be some major work and know how. But thats also what I'm looking for instead of a 351. The new powerstroke turbos are really good.

·
Stuck like a MoFo
3,450 Posts
if you are going to do a swap or buildup there is no choice between the 302 or 351w, the 351w is the hands down winner of the group. You may lose 1-2mpg or more of gas depending on how you drive but the 351w will get you around and have fun at it. The 460 swap would be awesome but that would suck as a DD. And as always do a Search, been discussed many times and you can find alot of things that have been repeated here. :beer

·
Registered
506 Posts
85f150 said:
if you are going to do a swap or buildup there is no choice between the 302 or 351w, the 351w is the hands down winner of the group. You may lose 1-2mpg or more of gas depending on how you drive but the 351w will get you around and have fun at it. The 460 swap would be awesome but that would suck as a DD. And as always do a Search, been discussed many times and you can find alot of things that have been repeated here. :beer
:stupid No replacement for displacement

·
Registered
677 Posts
prob gonna get flamed for this but oh well ya low down torque and be able to get more mpg then a 302 go with a 300. can't beat a torque peak at 1800-2000 rpms. now if you want the potential for gobs of hores go 351, 302 does not belong in a truck imo unless its stroked.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts