Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for all your input, good info and perspectives for sure. @Augiedog, this forum is the only place on the web that has seen it, it's available for sale but haven't put any ads up yet, thinking BaT. Still might keep it IDK..
For me it's one of those once in a lifetime barn finds you read about..., but I typically run 38's in the snow and can barely fit 35's on this one with stock suspension. Too nice for me to modify SMH whats a guy to do!

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
125 Posts
I'm a bit confused... You drive it in snow? Do you live in a place that doesn't use salt?

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've seen a little salt, gravel and other chemical deicer around here over the years, but not a terrible rust out problem like the coast or next state over. Check out in the rear fenderwell no rust and looks like factory paint and undercoater still on there.

·
Registered
1992 XLT 302 5 spd trans, long tube headers, manual t case, manual hubs
125 Posts
That wouldn't last 2 years here in Michigan if you drove it through winter. You'd wanna cry lol. Ive always wanted to be able to take my truck out after a good snow like the old days, like Back when I had a beater bronco. We drop a lot of it, and it kills... And kills fast

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Found some trim and PDR'ed the fender, turned out pretty good IMO!!
IMG_20200826_020951342.jpg

Other than that been doing some general repairs, clean-up and wet sanding, going to leave the original paint and rust on there for now, single stage polish and good wax job and most likely penetrol on the hood and roof. Will see how it turns out.

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Going off topic.., This 79' keeps surprising me, its like a "sleeper" except not with speed. Looks rough but must have been driven very softly with no indications of off road use. Was owned and driven by a mature farmers wife from new, and appearantly she didn't drive like my mom! lol Yes bronco fans, it's grandmas 79' grocery getter!! The amount of originality the condition of some parts blows me away! Most everything mechanically is just like it came off the lot, have to show some pics of areas I been working arround, just crazy how clean it is..Seems to my anyhow.., if this is commonplace please let me know, thanks.

Inside bottom of door:
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content
IMG_20200821_011423367.jpg
Sensitive content, not recommended for those under 18 Show Content

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Finally get to see some shine after 1500 wet sand, 2 stage polish, and wax. Started off the thread thinking of going with ceramic but the wax turned out great! Thanks again for the suggestions and tips!

IMG_20200911_101751875_HDR[1].jpg

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,977 Posts
Really brought her back to life 👍 never underestimate what a good bit of elbow grease and some wax will do for old paint (when they made good paint, not this crap today that flakes and bubbles after 3 winters).

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Thanks, yeah shined up pretty good, had to be real careful as the brown was so thin in some areas. The base color is visible through the brown and has a somewhat marbled look witch is kinda cool. This could of had a fresh paint job pretty easy but plenty of fresh paint around and couldn't see covering up all that character and history. I'm not getting a facelift either! lol.

On to Penetrol, wet sanded the rusty hood a 2nd time and put on the penetrol before the rust could start up, still drying 12hrs later but looking good IMO.. Wondering if the penetrol can be wet sanded??

IMG_20200913_102447618[1].jpg

·
Registered
82 XLT Lariat 351w, Edelbrock 1406 4bbl ,C6 auto, auto locking hubs ,33x10.5x15
2,977 Posts
Thanks, yeah shined up pretty good, had to be real careful as the brown was so thin in some areas. The base color is visible through the brown and has a somewhat marbled look witch is kinda cool. This could of had a fresh paint job pretty easy but plenty of fresh paint around and couldn't see covering up all that character and history. I'm not getting a facelift either! lol.

On to Penetrol, wet sanded the rusty hood a 2nd time and put on the penetrol before the rust could start up, still drying 12hrs later but looking good IMO.. Wondering if the penetrol can be wet sanded??

View attachment 167357
Why are u using penetrol to prevent rust spread? It's supposed to be used as a base agent then followed up with any oil, alkyd or water based paint. It is supposed to enhance penetration and adhesion of oil-based paints and primers. It's not exactly a stand alone rust inhibitor.

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Yea hopefully slowing down the rust or locking it in..time will tell.. Seen it used now and then as an alternative to boiled linseed oil that seems commonly done on rat rod type stuff.

·
Registered
1979 Custom, 6.6L Auto
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Answering my own question re wet sanding penetrol... Yep it works.. Wet sanded the 1st coat of pentrol on the roof/ hood, applied a 2nd coat and happy with the results. The weathered surface has a nice medium gloss and fairly smooth, that matches the painted surfaces pretty well. Pic after 6hrs of drying.

IMG_20200917_015032188[1].jpg

21 - 39 of 39 Posts