Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in July of 2018 I sent my EEC off to have it reconditioned (company called g7). They determined there was a hardware failure, bad resistor or something like that. Anyway, got it back and everything had been fine up until this past weekend..Took the Bronco out for a spin and noticed it wasn't running quite right..Got home and checked codes, nothing out of the ordinary, so I decided to pull the EEC and this is what I found..The white blob on the board is like a dried chalky substance, similar to if you let toothpaste dry..I've opened up a lot of these EEC's and have never seen anything like that before. Waiting to hear back from the company who did the repair to see whether it was something they did, but I highly doubt it..Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
24,737 Posts
Yo LTC BILL KILGORE,
As a partial WAG, it appears to be fixating material used as a strain relief for possibly the resistors' solder joints.

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yo LTC BILL KILGORE,
As a partial WAG, it appears to be fixating material used as a strain relief for possibly the resistors' solder joints.
Thanks Al..Heard back from the company that did the previous repair..they indicated it was a sealant of some sort.

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Company confirmed that it's not a sealant they would use on any of their repairs..so now I'm scratching my head...

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,808 Posts
so are you sending it back?

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
so are you sending it back?
Not sure...they R&R'd the last one (which I thought was this one) for $225..Supposedly they repaired a "faulty resistor", not saying they didn't but I'm unable to tell where the repair was done..I'd have expected there would be evidence of it..I'm searching the interwebs to see if I can find another one rather then repair.they're getting harder to find then hens teeth..

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Need someone to do me a favor..the clowns at the place I'm ordering the EEC from need a VIN #..I need one from a '95, 302 MAF with an e4OD. If someone could shoot that over to me via message I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

·
Registered
'92 Custom w/ '95 MAF 5.0, 33's, 4.10 LSD
2,153 Posts
If my notes are correct, 1FMEU15N1SLA21456 should work for you. That ought to be the VIN for the '95 MAF 5.0L that my engine came out of. It's since been crushed, so I doubt anyone will care my sharing it publicly. :)

Edit: On the other hand, that may not do what you want. It's a TIP1 PCM from a Bronco, not the usual WAY1/VEX1 F150 targets. So, the place you're dealing with may see than VIN as a mismatch for your PCM.

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks @fodder, it's worth a shot..As far as I'm aware the VIN doesn't indicate what EEC it should be using..The first 7 characters in that string are the same as the VIN for my '92.

'95 MAF 302 - 1FMEU15N1SLA21456

'92 SD 302 - 1FMEU15N5***

The 8th position is the check digit. That's where things change. It's specifically used to validate the VIN. Found this out when I tried to create my own VIN and couldn't get it to work..
9 position is the model year, so S = '95 and N = '92
11th position is the assembly plant, L = Wayne (all Broncos were manufactured there)
The last 6 positions are the production sequence #.

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is one of those areas where I'm a little fuzzy, so I'd appreciate anyone with knowledge or insight on how these units are refurbed to weigh in..

This was the response I got from the company when I told them I needed a WAY1 EEC and even provided a picture of the part #. I explained the engine in the vehicle I have will not match the VIN #..

"Hello,
Would you like Hardware ONLY? Hardware Only means we will still rebuild the module and ensure it is in perfect working order before shipping but the VIN number will not be programmed on the unit. You would have to call local mechanics and locksmiths to verify you will be able to get the module programmed in your area.
Please give us a call back or respond to this message if you would like to cancel OR if you would like HARDWARE ONLY."

So essentially they're sending me a box with working hardware. I can see where an OBDII unit could be programmed/flashed, but my understanding is that's not the case with the OBDI stuff and that everything is essentially burned in, or am I wrong??

For all intents and purposes, by just providing this part #: F5TF-12A650-JB, and the WAY1 catch code they should be able to send me the right EEC, at least that's what you would think, or maybe I'm talking to an idiot...

Since I'm going to be plugging my Tweecer on to the EEC and running my own tune, I guess I could roll the dice and try just getting the "hardware only", but something tells me this is a bad idea since I need the base strategy..

Now I'm reconsidering having this one rebuilt and saving myself the headache...

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
35,926 Posts
no clue to offer. just along for the ride.

·
Registered
251 Posts
The VIN# stuff is only for newer vehicles with modules requiring matching VIN and other programming to "sync" with the car's system to function. Pretty sure the tech person who answered you doesn't know what they are talking about. Aside from that, I'm not entirely sure why the "WAY1" would matter as opposed to any other code, but maybe there's a difference between the Speed Density ECUs and the MAF ECUs, which would make sense. I'm probably thinking along the lines of putting an ECU of any "code/type" in a Speed Density Bronco/F-150 and you'd be good, but I'd bet this gets more complicated for MAF systems? Sorry if I'm not helping much, but just trying to understand the need for the specific WAY1 code?

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The VIN# stuff is only for newer vehicles with modules requiring matching VIN and other programming to "sync" with the car's system to function. Pretty sure the tech person who answered you doesn't know what they are talking about. Aside from that, I'm not entirely sure why the "WAY1" would matter as opposed to any other code, but maybe there's a difference between the Speed Density ECUs and the MAF ECUs, which would make sense. I'm probably thinking along the lines of putting an ECU of any "code/type" in a Speed Density Bronco/F-150 and you'd be good, but I'd bet this gets more complicated for MAF systems? Sorry if I'm not helping much, but just trying to understand the need for the specific WAY1 code?
That is exactly what I thought...but there was no way to get that through this guys head..WAY1 is the strategy that's needed to run the MAF set up I have..Single O2 sensor and an E4OD..You're correct with the SD, you could probably get away with running an EEC with a different catch code as long as the engine group and tranny match..

·
Registered
251 Posts
@jermil01 Well, if that's the case and you can verify with them (saving emails and stuff "in writing") that they can send you a "WAY1" strategy MAF ECU as the "hardware only" option, it might work. You just want to cover yourself in the event you need to return it for refund due to a problem or non-functioning unit.

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
@jermil01 Well, if that's the case and you can verify with them (saving emails and stuff "in writing") that they can send you a "WAY1" strategy MAF ECU as the "hardware only" option, it might work. You just want to cover yourself in the event you need to return it for refund due to a problem or non-functioning unit.
And therein lies the problem. Based on my email exchange with this clown, I'm not confident they're going to send me the correct one..I've reached out to another company that says their units are based on the factory PN, no "programming" needed. Going to see what they say..

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thought I found a company that would send an EEC based on just the PN..Messaged them, they said they could do it, then when I placed the order I got a message they need the VIN...what a fawking pain...there is no reason for this to be so difficult.

So, my request goes out again, if you have a '95 Bronco or F150 with a MAF 302 and E4OD, I would greatly appreciate the use of your VIN#...I can assure you I won't do anything sketchy with it..Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so I got creative and did a search on 1995 Broncos for sale with 302 an E4OD..was able to find a few hits on autolist..All of their listings have VIN #'s, so I got what I needed..

1FMEU15N8SLA63297

fingers crossed this will work..

·
Super Moderator
14,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wouldn't any other '95 Bronco be the same non-matching PCM as my donor VIN?
good point...This goes back to my original premise why it was stupid for them to ask for the VIN instead of just going off the PN...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts