My neighbors would be so jealous

·
IM FAT, YOUR UGLY!
3,784 Posts
dude i really want one of those...

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Forget it. I've already been talking to them. I even have Gunther on the line to help with the lockout for the test drive. I told them they won't even have to ship it, I'll just drive over and fly it home. It'll only be a 20 second trip with glide time.

·
Im scared of jopes
1,660 Posts
Shit that thing has alot of miles, How do you guys think it would be on fuel just to work and back?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I wonder how hard it'd be to do a 460 swap and a SAS... Its pre 1996 so its OBD 1 :(
I almost died from this.
I wonder if you could take it off from a runway just using the rockets on the ship itself and fly it like an airplane?

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts
Most likely not. I've been told by real Rocket Scientists there that the aero dynamics of the design aren't there to allow it to take off like a plane with it's main thrust engines. It would probably take off but it wouldn't be pretty. Even with total computer control of the launch. Taking into account the brakes wouldn't hold for the thrust the engine create, the fact it would go from 0 to above stall speed in fractions of a second, the flight control surfaces wouldn't be capable of directing the air flow well enough at that rapid of a speed to perform the take off, etc, etc,.

There was some discussion a few years ago of creating the next gen shuttle that would use hybrid engines incorporating a RamJat or Pulse jet technology that would allow the vehicle to take off like a regular craft, then once at altitude use the ram or pulse jet to reach low earth orbit. Kind of think of the SR-71 Blackbird on a cargo/passenger jet level.

·
Registered
267 Posts
There was some discussion a few years ago of creating the next gen shuttle that would use hybrid engines incorporating a RamJat or Pulse jet technology that would allow the vehicle to take off like a regular craft, then once at altitude use the ram or pulse jet to reach low earth orbit. Kind of think of the SR-71 Blackbird on a cargo/passenger jet level.
Such as the Aurora?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aurora_(aircraft)

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
I wonder how much flex it has..

·
Premium Member
4,778 Posts

Yeah, that was it. I couldn't remember the name of it that late at night. I remember reading the article in Popular Science(or maybe PopMech) many years ago. Back maybe 15 years or so ago, there were alot of unexplained sonic booms over parts of Florida and out in the Midwest and what speculation was, they were testing this new flight platform.

Edit.

Actually I started looking into it more after this and found what I was really thinking about. It was the X30 project using the ScramJet technology.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockwell_X-30

1 - 17 of 17 Posts