Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...I've got to give credit where it's due. My buddy called me up last night, his mom just bought a Jeep and was out of town, so he wanted to go test it out. Yeah he's a bastard.:drinkbud

Anyways, he was in his round-headlight Jeep (not sure of the year), and I was in my '97 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4...big truck. It's a diesel, 5-speed, extended cab, and long bed. Far from an optimal offroad truck. Anyways we get out to the muddy area, and there's a couple people out there screwing off already, and there's a clear established run where it's maybe 2-3 feet deep, and semi-easily cross-able.

He decides to make his own run, and starts getting deeper and deeper and deeper, and he's finally got the water up over his headlights, about even with the hood, about an inch or two below it before he can't go forward anymore. I'm thinking no shit, I do NOT want to have to pull this bastard out. He pops it in reverse, water up to the hood, and backs right out? :shocked We were all in shock. I didn't know that was possible, I thought the bastard was stuck.

He went over a different line, and made it right through. I followed in my truck, and made it through fine too, but it was one helluva bumpy ride...might have to go back out this week and get some pics of the area, it's pretty cool.

I wish I had my Bronco to use instead, but the sumbitch died on me 2 days ago, stopped running, I'm hoping it's the fuel lift pump or a clogged fuel filter. :banghead

This is what I was running:

·
Registered
490 Posts
Yeah i definately respect jeeps, but a stock bronco sure beats a stock jeep

·
Registered
772 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think it's just that whole "Wave Hierarchy" that I can't get over.:twak :histerica

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,013 Posts
broncos&bombs said:
mabey ive just been around lemons
the 4.0 i6's last forever... inline engines usually do since they don't beat themselves to death..... i sold one jeep with 254,000 engine and tranny had never been opened up.... only thing that gave me probs was some of the wiring harnesses.... then again maybe mine was a fluke....

·
Registered
3,758 Posts
my bes friend stephen, his gramps had a 65 that he sold to him for 1000$, and his dad bought a 56 for 1100. both had i6's. the 65 had the old non-directionals on it, the engine was locked up but we poured tranny fluid in the cylinders and drug it down the road to breake it loose. had a lot of fun in those jeeps.

we made some new shackles out of 1/4 steel for the 56, gave it about 3 inches of lift. the engine in that one was kinda weak, but was just enough.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,958 Posts
Konham said:
but a stock bronco sure beats a stock jeep
I don't know the Rubicons come with lockers and d44 solids. Plus they have the cool litle trail rated symbol

·
Registered
9,138 Posts
Rubi's don't count as "stock" Jeeps :toothless

I would rather have my old Bronc than any new TJ, other than a Rubi.

I don't know about most Jeeps, but my Bronco will match or out-wheel the local Shade-Tree's CJ (stock, 32s) and it would STOMP my friend's 00' TJ (that he sold before I got to drive it, bastard).

One thing, both the CJ and the TJ were very reliable. The only thing was the carb on the CJ would give the mech. the finger every now and then, and my friend grenaded the open D-30 with 31" buckshots :shocked .

·
Registered
784 Posts
i test drove two rubicons this summer. one unlimited rubicon w/ stick. one regular rubicon with auto. not bad, but pricey. based on the fact that i never drove a stick before in my life until then, i feel bad for the guy that bought that jeep.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Dave88LX said:
Anyways, he was in his round-headlight Jeep (not sure of the year)
Just FYI: That's a TJ. The ones that look almost the same but have rectangular lights are YJs. Cherokees are XJs. Wagoneers (and I think the old cherokees as well, but don't quote me on that) are SJs. Then the old jeeps are CJs

·
Registered
784 Posts
i have a friend that has a jeep his dad bought new in the early 60's. thing still runs fine. nothing major done on it. thats gotta say something for em.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts