Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
help, the ball and chain said fix it or sell it!!! not a chance. i have completly changed the brake system.pads,shoes.master,booster,calipars,cylinders,rotors,drums.the pedel feels like i am driving a model T.. they are very weak and hard. i have bled them till iam blue in the face. all the parts came from auto zone.could it be the proportioning valve???dave how much vacume shoold be at the booster???

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Did you bench bleed the master cylinder before you installed it? What order are you bleeding the wheels in? Also, you say weak and hard, I'm assuming that means the pedal is hard but it doesn't stop very fast? That strikes me as a booster problem personally since it should be firm but not "hard" if the booster is working. Press the pedal, then start the truck and press it again. After the truck is started it should be soften up a little if the booster is working. Also, did you make sure the booster throw is adjusted properly?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Mine feels a little weak since I did the 3/4 ton upgrade and you can hear the air when you step on the break. The truck stops great and just passed inspection. Since you replaced the Master/Booster were they the loaded system that came together or did you get them separated (each part separately)? When I did mine I got mine from the JY and I never checked the rod length, so I don't know if that's what's causing mine to act weak and/or hearing the air sound. It's a new system to me so hard to say if that's normal operations or if I have an issue I need to address.

Does it stop you truck at 55 mph is a normal distance? Or does it will like oh chit I'm not stopping quick enough?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
the booser throw was not changed when i installed it.i trusted the manufacturer. the master and booster came seprately and i did bench bleed it! is there such a procedure as bleeding the abs pump?? abs light is not on!!!

·
Registered
258 Posts
May still have air in the line.

I've seen different order to bleed brakes from farthest to closest and closest to farthest. Haynes says farthest to closest then IIRC.

Can you tell if your vacuum hose is collapsing from the engine to the booster? If it is you will need to replace it.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,738 Posts
Are the adjusters and springs new, and did you adjust the rear brakes manually?

I wouldn't ever blindly trust any manufacturer these days, let alone a REmanufacturer. :toothless Check your power brake booster's pushrod adjustment by making a template like this (click the image):

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i think i will try the template idea. the springs have not been changed, but i don't have a problem with the brakes sticking ???? thanx for all the help out there. please keep the ideas coming!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!dave

1 - 12 of 12 Posts