Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have good breaks going forward. In reverse they are less than impressive. On an incline in reverse they are almost non existant. Peddle pushes almost to the floor. It gets alittle scary on the trail. Any ideas?

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Make sure your wheel cylinders are in good shape. What do internals of drum look like? Are all the parts newer? Look for leaks at RABS valve.

·
The Anti Yam!
22,680 Posts
Self energizing drum breaks never work as good in revers, because they don't self energize in that direction. But what you are describing sounds like more than that.

Pull the drums and take a look.

·
Cleaning the trails
931 Posts
I have good breaks going forward. In reverse they are less than impressive. On an incline in reverse they are almost non existant. Peddle pushes almost to the floor. It gets alittle scary on the trail. Any ideas?
When was the last time you manually adjusted them. The self adjusters get a little sticky after a few years. I can always tell when they need adjusting. Search for the threads.

I just chock the front wheels, jack up the rear end, put the transfer case in neutral (or tranny) remove the rubber dust plugs (mine still has them). Take a medium sized screwdriver and start turning the star wheel on the adjuster. You will be pushing up on it to tighten Do this until the brake just starts to drag. Go pump the brake pedal a few times to reseat them and do this again.. Don't go to far. If you do, you have to get a long skinny screwdriver to push the self adjuster off of the wheel so you can abck it off a little.

This should tighten them up so the pedal does not go to the floor.

·
Registered
330 Posts
You mentioned that the brake pedal goes to the floor when backing? You might need a "brake job"! Or...pull the rear drums and check what's going on. Once I had a rear end that was leaking oil past the axle seals and made a wet oily mess inside the drums, no rear braking. But the pedal going to the floor suggests some hydraulic issue, either wheel cylinders or master. That's a little scary when the pedal goes to the floor! Good Luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts