Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys. A question for those that have some websites. What host are you using and why? I am looking for recommendations. I already have the domain name. Currently I am using MobileMe to host it, but that is on a 2 month free trial. Honestly I have no intentions of keeping it there. That and for $100 a year I am quite sure I can find better, if not cheaper.

The site is nothing big. Not even a lot of traffic. One day, hopefully, but for now limited traffic. To get an idea of what I have for a cheap site go to BrandNewMistake.com.

Like I said, nothing big. For right now it is just little blog, podcast, and links page. I used iWeb to build it. Mainly because I was playing with the new software and two, because I have no real experience building sites. My experience comes from making similar sites on Tripod back in the day. So that is a requirement for me. Easy to use tools to build websites.

So, what say you?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Been using 1and1.com for the past 5 or 6 years with no complaints, have a variety of packages to choose from.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Been using Total Choice Hosting (totalchoicehosting.com) my self. The CEO of the company does his best to make sure you get everything your promised. I have the Simple Reseller with them which has unlimited domains, WHM/Cpanel, Unlimited mail/ftp/mysql/sub-domains. The only thing they limit is bandwidth and disk space. But if you have a single domain they have plans from $4.00 a month, which has all the same features minus WHM, and disk space / bandwidth slightly less.

I own 5 domains and it is cheaper for me on the reseller plan.

They have always treated me good, no down times, the only hiccup I had is when I transferred from the basic plan to the resellers plan they messed up my mysql db, but I used backups so it wasn't that bad. The whole transfer was pretty seamless minus the databases.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I listened to Broken Night and I think it's pretty good. You guys sound a lot like a band around the midwest but I can't remember their name. They do a cover of Cry Little Sister.

Anyway, I don't have much info for the website hosting. I currently use Office Live but I'm going to change pretty soon. Obviously godaddy.com is a popular choice but personally I'm intrigued by the Totalchoicehosting and the reseller package.

·
Registered
6,177 Posts
I use GoDaddy because I've always used them... :shrug

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts

·
umm...idk
359 Posts
I get my domains off of godaddy but for hosting I run off a guys that has a private sever from hostgator. Sorry I know i am not that big of a help. Send me a pm, and i can talk to him about adding you, and all he probably would want is a link to his site.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I listened to Broken Night and I think it's pretty good. You guys sound a lot like a band around the midwest but I can't remember their name. They do a cover of Cry Little Sister.

Anyway, I don't have much info for the website hosting. I currently use Office Live but I'm going to change pretty soon. Obviously godaddy.com is a popular choice but personally I'm intrigued by the Totalchoicehosting and the reseller package.
Thanks man. That was a very early "proof of concept" recording for the most part. It has gone through a bit of a makeover since we recorded that. In fact, talks of changing the drums was happening last night. So hopefully we will get that nailed down and a set of drum mics soon.

Thanks everyone for the tips of places to go. I'll check them out. And Bigmac, if he will, I wouldn't complain. Especially if it is the price of free. Can't beat free. Especially when the band hasn't begun to make an income yet.

·
Registered
13,876 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You know, thinking about what BigMac said. I got some of the parts lying around. Just need to piece together a few more parts, and I can have my own server. That would be pretty nice. Especially with some of the other abilities I would have besides being able to host my webpage myself. i.e. I am currently ripping all of my DVDs that I have collected over the years to digital formats. Throw those up on the server too behind a password. Watch my collection from anywhere.

·
umm...idk
359 Posts
well the only thing is if you go for you own server, a private at home one, they are a pain in the a$$ to set up, code and program right. I have a couple friends that have done this. Not to mind you that they are running a couple thousand dollar servers.

But that is just one thing. Any other thing that you will like is, that if you set it up right and actually run your computer through the server, you will be able to access the internet and download a lot faster.

just a couple things for ya

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
well the only thing is if you go for you own server, a private at home one, they are a pain in the a$$ to set up, code and program right. I have a couple friends that have done this. Not to mind you that they are running a couple thousand dollar servers.
I found that the actual server configuration is the easiest. The Network configuration on the other hand is the PITA.
But that is just one thing. Any other thing that you will like is, that if you set it up right and actually run your computer through the server, you will be able to access the internet and download a lot faster.....
Uhm, accessing anything else but the content on your server will be the same speed as it always has been. Also it is ill-advised to run your network through your web server acting as a NAT/Firewall via Windows Routing or Linux IP Tables. IF you web server is compromised and you are not setup securely using a router with DMZ to your server, all your computers on the network can be accessed.

You know, thinking about what BigMac said. I got some of the parts lying around. Just need to piece together a few more parts, and I can have my own server. That would be pretty nice. Especially with some of the other abilities I would have besides being able to host my webpage myself. i.e. I am currently ripping all of my DVDs that I have collected over the years to digital formats. Throw those up on the server too behind a password. Watch my collection from anywhere.
When hosting a server in your home, you need to take in to consideration your bandwidth requirements. A 16mbs pipe down is cool and all but that is download only meaning requests to the server. Your upload is the most important. If your limited to lets say 3mbs then your actually upload is about 300-400kbs that will determine your max concurrent visitors. And if your site is really popular your gonna want a hosted server with better access.

Remember most if not all data centers have a 100mb internet connection fed off of an OC8-12 line to each server. Also keep in mind that most data centers have a lot off back up parts for the servers. Something you are going to need to do as well. If your server goes down it is better for it to be off line for 2-3hrs while you replace parts vs 3-4 days while you wait for replacement parts to come in. Your visitors will loose loyalty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts