Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Why do you want to see my
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the round up at Rausch Creek is coming up and I will be towing the Bronco. As some of you know I ordered a new F150 with the 3.5 ecoboost and it should be delivered in a couple weeks. I plan on buying an open car trailer to tow the bronco. With this combination, would you guys recommend using a weight distribution hitch system or do you think I will be okay without it? Its about a 3 hour drive for me to the round up. When I towed the bronco to brigantine a couple years ago with my silverado, I did notice some sway but not too much sag at the back of the truck, but I later realized it was too heavy of a load for the chevy.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,069 Posts
Should be ok with a load like a bronco as you can move it on the trailer to achieve the correct tongue weight. Will the truck drive better with a weight dist. setup, that is setup correctly, yes but do you need it for a car hauler most likely not. This is assuming everything else is up to par on the weight ratings of the hitch and that, they are generally a lot less for non weight dist. It will depend on the specific trailer you get too but I think you will be ok with out it

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,662 Posts
just my inexperienced thoughts... but tongue weight is where it's at. If you get a long enough trailer to "balance" the Bronco on there in the right place, you shouldn't need the weight distributing hitch. Generally... those are designed for help hauling RV/Camper Trailers, which give you no choice on weight distribution.

I've had some exp. hauling travel trailers but not much with car-haulers.

Also... make sure you get one wide enough to fit the Bronco comfortably. My ol' lady's '78 has 33" SSR Swampers on it and I wouldn't want any less than 7.5' width between the fenders.

edit ad: CBG beat me to it. :toothless

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'm not too worried about the truck sagging because like you said, I can position the bronco so the weight would be evenly distributed. I'm more concerned about the sway.

Oh and thanks for the heads up Pepe about the width. I dont know how wide the bronco will be yet until I get my SAS done. The trailer I'm looking at is 82" wide and has removable fenders so I should be good there.

·
Registered
212 Posts
they also put more weight on the steer axles and are suppose to make it handle better. I bought one for an enclosed trailer im leaving for Alaska her in a few days so i guess i will find out how well they work lol

but you also have to get one with the right spring bars. go to light on the tongue weight rating of the hitch and they will not do much of anything get to heavy of one and it will be a rough ride.

another option if your just worried about sway is just get a friction sway setup that goes from the ball to the trailer.

and as far as manufactures i have all curt stuff its pretty heavy duty stuff i like it.

·
Registered
309 Posts
If you ordered one of the 10-12,000 lb tow packages you'll be all set.

The anti-sway, weight distributing setup would just make it handle better regardless.

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the info guys. I did order the truck with the max tow package. I do know that truck is rated to pull 12,000 lbs but I haven't done all the research yet as far as weight of both vehicles, tongue weight and so on. I don't think I'll have a problem as far as weight goes.

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2015 F150 XLT 3.5 ecoboost, 6 spd auto 145" wheelbase.

I haven't taken delivery of the truck yet, but from the ford website I watched a short video of how the sway control works. It doesn't prevent sway. It just sends you a message on the dash that the trailer is swaying and automatically applies brakes to individual wheels. It also cuts engine power if needed to, until you slow down enough to stop the sway.

The more research I do, I think I might be leaning towards getting the weight distribution hitch.

Edit - Forgot to mention the max tow package comes with a brake controller as well.

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is whats included with the max tow package.

• 3.55 Electronic-locking rear axle
• 4-pin/7-pin wiring harness
• Auxiliary transmission oil cooler
• Class IV trailer hitch receiver
• Smart Trailer Tow Connector (standard on LARIAT and higher)
• Integrated Trailer Brake Controller
• Upgraded front stabilizer bar
• Upgraded rear bumper

My other question is if I do go with weight distribution, what capacity should I get? The trailer is 1550 lb and the bronco should be about 6000. Thats 7550 and at 10% tongue weight I'm looking at 755. I might add a toolbox and winch also. Do I get the 800 lb capacity or should I step it up to 1000. I read if the capacity is too high for the load, it'll be a rough ride. So I guess I just answered my own question.

·
Registered
212 Posts
best thing to do is load it down with everything you think you might put on it then take it to a scale and get the weight then order a hitch of that weight. (pilots only charge $10 to use theres) or get a hitch around your trailer weight rating. you can adjust them for how much weight they pick up buy how much tension you put on the spring bars. idk what your trailer is rated for but im guessing 10k so I would get the 10k set up if I were you.

round bars or trunnion is pretty much opinion from what I seen but trunnions give you a little more ground clearance.

also if you have a short tongue you need to make sure theres enough room for the spring hangers to set back far enough.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,069 Posts
I thought you had to have a trailer specifically setup for that sway control system to work?
From what you have posted now it does look like you will need a distribution setup. Harbor Freight has an alright one but etrailer.com has a good selection and good info about them on it. I have a Blue OX 10k setup to go on my open trailer. If you get the adjustable one I think you will be fine on the ride also, especially since you want to add a winch and all that as well. Not sure if you have trailer or not yet but if your looking @ 10k trailer you may consider going up to a 14k, typically this will get you the better 16" wheels with 8 lug pattern and also a better selection of tires. However you don't want to plate a trailer higher then the rig your towing it with either, at least not in Indiana.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I have never had to use a weight distribution hitch for my car hauler since I can adjust the load on the truck by changing the position of the vehicle on the trailer. A heavy rear on the trailer will cause some legit dangerous sway. I was close to what Steve posted, but not quite. I use an equalizer hitch when pulling my 26' camper because I have no other way to adjust tongue weight. I'm using a 13 ecoboost lariat 150 as my tow vehicle. My suggestion is take the time to experiment with the load until you find the sweet spot. So far I love the integrated brake controller. The dash allows for three separate default settings for different trailers. I haven't got it fine tuned to my new camper yet, since I only pulled it once. You'll be amazed at the power that ecoboost has.
Swamp

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After doing a bunch more reading and research on the F150, I've decided that I will use a weight distribution system. It eases my mind to just spend a couple hundred bucks more for the safety of my family and everybody else on the road.

My next question is that I realized the trailer I was looking at is only a 7,000 lb trailer. I wanted a 10,000 but the closest one in stock to me is about 3 hours away. The curb weight on my bronco is somewhere around 4500 to 5000 lbs. The dry weight of the trailer is 1550. Do you think I'm pushing the limit of the 7000 lb trailer? Should I just make the drive to get a 10,000 lb?

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
7,069 Posts
I would go and get the 10k, the tires will be better able to take the weight. When I had mine built I was told by the builder that the only difference between a 5k axle and a 7k axle is the wheels and tires, the brakes and that being the same, while the 3500 lb axles are a bit smaller and typically the tires are not as good. Could you upgrade the tires yes but I bet that difference would be close to what the 10k is now. Also just because your bronco now is right on the bubble does not mean that in the future it would not get heavier or you would want to haul other stuff. Having said all that I do agree that the 7k trailer would most likely be ok for what you are doing but give you no room to "grow" if you will

·
Premium 4 Lyfe - Way Back Staff
'95 XLT: 5.8, MAF, E4OD, 4.56's, 6" on 33's
36,662 Posts
If you've got the extra cash... I'd rather have it and not need it, then need it and not have it. :thumbup

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You guys are right. I should definitely shoot for the 10,000 lb. Thanks for all the advice, opinions and information. Since I don't have my truck yet, it looks like I'll have to borrow my mom's Tahoe to go pick it up. :toothless

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
I think a few aren't realizing the weight distributing hitch is not to distribute the weight on the trailer, it's to distribute the trailer weight on the truck. It will basically take some weight off the rear axle of the truck and apply it to the front axle.
Having the weight positioned properly on the trailer is very important. Not enough tounge weight can be a real problem, while too much tounge weight won't hurt anything as long as it's not too much for the truck.

After doing a bunch more reading and research on the F150, I've decided that I will use a weight distribution system. It eases my mind to just spend a couple hundred bucks more the safety of my family and everybody else on the road.
Good decision. Even with a lighter loaded trailer, the truck drives better with the weight bars on.

·
Registered
3,428 Posts
not that it is recommended,but I have towed a 78 bronco behind my 78 on a 7000lb car trailer a few times with no issues,no swaw bars,just proper loading and a low riding rear tow vehicle
I did not have an issue with sway with 33'' tires ,even at 70 mph
and I did have brakes on both trailer axles and it actually stopped faster with the loaded trailer!

I have never used a weight dist hitch ,but I have been told that they are hard on the tow vehicle front end and front tires

·
3,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have never used weight distribution so that's why I wanted opinions. But the one time I did tow the bronco I got pretty decent sway at 50-55 mph. It was loaded properly however my silverado was too underpowered to tow it.

I won't be towing the bronco very often but when I do I think I will just feel safer using weight distribution. Thanks for the input though.:thumbup

1 - 20 of 38 Posts