Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This might be a thread of "warning" depending on what everyone thinks.

Here's the scoop...I'm in Erie and don't know where to get my 5 gal or whatever standard BBQ cylinder refilled, so I've been going to King Soopers and just exchanging for a "full" one. This cost today $19.77. Well, after handling at least half of their supposed "full" cylinders I was convinced I was being cheated (I don't think by King Soop, they are clueless and apparently have no way to ensure the propane supplier actually gives them fully charged units back except to point to the "blue" safety cap installed on recharged units).

I SWEAR one of these should weigh about 45-50 lbs. full (tank is about 15 lbs, and the liquid propane is about 6lbsx5gal).
So when full I handle it via bicep. Well today I could take every one and pick it up and lift it straight up with my arm, no bicep grab. No way could I do that with a 50 lb full container. I'd guess they are filling them 70%. I say this because I have grilled a LOT for many years and have handled more than my share of these.

Am I messed up? Have I been secretly weight lifting to take on Arnold:muscle071 ? Or do we have some scamming going on here :lowblow???????????:popc1:

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure on the weight but I do know that a percentage of the tank must be left empty for expansion purposes.
yes. what was nice in Oregon is that you could refill tanks at many gas stations that had the onsite propane tank. Typically I'd see them fill em up to about 4.8 gallons max as I recall. So if a 5 gal tank that would be a 4% or so non-fill.

I just checked on line and propane is actually supposed to weigh about 4.25 lbs/gal. So "full" that would be about 35 lbs including tank....that's still not a light weight by any means if you want to try and hoist it via just the arm instead of bicep action.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
Get one of these and you'll know how much you got!

·
Registered
517 Posts
what the hell is that ??????????????????????????????????????????

·
Registered
517 Posts
was not sure but now i see. the problem we have here is it is hard to find someplace that will fill the tank. all we find is exchange points at area stors. looks like it would work great if I had someplae to refill it

·
Registered
616 Posts
It took me a couple of seconds to realize what it was too. I'm going to do a propane conversion on my BKO, I wonder if they make see through tanks like that for auto use LOL

Yes they do. They are $$$ (320 each) but they do exist. Just search for "clear forklift propane tanks. I just went with standard lift tanks.... since i am dual fuel, if i run out of 'pane i just switch to gas and call it a day.

·
Registered
3,213 Posts
We've got 2 clear tanks. They kick ass. To fill them though, you have to go to a place that will just fill the tank and give it back to you. Since the guy that helped design these tanks lives here, he owns a true-value store that will fill them. Maybe other true-value stores do the same, I'm not sure. :shrug

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
One thing I didn't realize with propane that is kinda cool is that gal for gal it weighs less than gas. Not a huge deal, but let's say your rig is packing 25 gallons of fuel:

weight of gas is 6.25 x 25 = 156lbs of fuel.

weight of propane 4.25 x 25 = 106lbs. 50 lbs less

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
Yes they do. They are $$$ (320 each) but they do exist. Just search for "clear forklift propane tanks. I just went with standard lift tanks.... since i am dual fuel, if i run out of 'pane i just switch to gas and call it a day.
Doug, I was searching one of the other threads about propane conversions and I was wondering what kit you got. I just moved to Frisco from CS and am always going back down. If it's cool with you I'd like to see your set up some time and get some advise if you don't mind me picking your brain.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
yes. what was nice in Oregon is that you could refill tanks at many gas stations that had the onsite propane tank. Typically I'd see them fill em up to about 4.8 gallons max as I recall. So if a 5 gal tank that would be a 4% or so non-fill.

I just checked on line and propane is actually supposed to weigh about 4.25 lbs/gal. So "full" that would be about 35 lbs including tank....that's still not a light weight by any means if you want to try and hoist it via just the arm instead of bicep action.
there is a refill place at hwy 287 and hwy 66 by the walmart in Longmont. I think they charge around 12 or 13 for a refill.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
there is a refill place at hwy 287 and hwy 66 by the walmart in Longmont. I think they charge around 12 or 13 for a refill.
Thanks Don, you remember the name of the place so I can google?

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,652 Posts
Gas station at 55th and Arapahoe in Boulder does refills also I think there is a place just west of Sheridan on 120th in Broomfield but not sure aboeut that one. Maybe give one of the RV stores a call those guys can not trade in their tanks, at least not the big guys. I will check with my dad he also is in Erie and fills the RV somewhere.

When I upgrade to a gas grill I think I am going to run natural from the house, no tanks to fill up. :)

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Gas station at 55th and Arapahoe in Boulder does refills also I think there is a place just west of Sheridan on 120th in Broomfield but not sure aboeut that one. Maybe give one of the RV stores a call those guys can not trade in their tanks, at least not the big guys. I will check with my dad he also is in Erie and fills the RV somewhere.

When I upgrade to a gas grill I think I am going to run natural from the house, no tanks to fill up. :)
That would be nice, and probably a good amount cheaper. Plus you'd never have to worry about the tank being low when you are getting ready for grilling.

Wonder what that would cost to run a pipe line to the back? What would they do, run it out the side back of the house and then have some kinda safety/shutoff valve there, and then you'd run some of flex line from there to wherever the grill is?

·
Premium Member
8,518 Posts
Have to watch those exchange places as well for outdated or almost outdated tanks. Don't want to end up with on of those or you won't be able to get it refilled or some places won't allow you to trade it in.

·
Premium Member
1995 XLT SAS w D44 and D60 rear
3,652 Posts
That would be nice, and probably a good amount cheaper. Plus you'd never have to worry about the tank being low when you are getting ready for grilling.

Wonder what that would cost to run a pipe line to the back? What would they do, run it out the side back of the house and then have some kinda safety/shutoff valve there, and then you'd run some of flex line from there to wherever the grill is?
That is what my parents have. I think depending on the run it could be done for around 150-200 problem is you have to get a conversion kit for the grill, if they make one for your grill. If they do not then you need to get a new grill that is NG compatible.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts