Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm obviously new to this forum. I hope you guys can help. I have an 88 XLT with a 302 motor. OK, here's my problem:
When I turn on my left blinker, only the front one works.

When I turn on my right blinker, only the rear one works.

When I turn on the hazards, the right front blinker flashes, but
the left rear still does absolutely nothing.

When I turn on the headlights, the right front running light works, but the left rear still does absolutely nothing.

I have replaced the bulbs and flasher (JIC), but no luck...
Any ideas???

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope, that's the way I got it when I bought it. I assumed it probably just needed new bulbs...looks like I was wrong obviously. Wiring appears to be OK, no obvious shorts or breaks, unless it's inside the cab somewhere. Anyone know what path the taillight wires take to get to the back? The front seems a little more visible, but I still can't see any signs of bad wires anywhere.

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
Sobeewan said:
Nope, that's the way I got it when I bought it. I assumed it probably just needed new bulbs...looks like I was wrong obviously. Wiring appears to be OK, no obvious shorts or breaks, unless it's inside the cab somewhere. Anyone know what path the taillight wires take to get to the back? The front seems a little more visible, but I still can't see any signs of bad wires anywhere.
did you do a continuity check with your ohm meter?
or is this just a guess?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, I've been doing a little more research and I seem to have found an old repair manual that I had for a previous F-150 that shows me all the connectors and where they they are located, and the path for the blinkers from the steering column down to the sockets themselvs, so I'll be looking into that tomorrow when I have some daylight.
I have not done any continuity checks because I wasn't exactly too sure what to check, although I did check to see if I was getting 12V to them, and I was not.

·
Screw the Jeep Thing
4,522 Posts
Hey I got one for you guys.

I had this proble a while back. Rear Passanger brake/blinker light was dead.

Have cruise control on and hit the left blinker. Cruise control goes off.

Turn right blinker on RPMS went up about 200 RPMs till I turned the blinker off..

Ok Then I replace the brake/blinker light. Both problems above are gone:)

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, I found the problem...it was the dreaded 'multifunction' switch. However, what happened was that the contacts for the front right blinker and the left rear taillight had melted into the plastic just far enough so that the brushes on the bottom of the blinker selector (the white half-moon thing that moves in the steering column when you move the blinker lever) couldn't make contact anymore. After much deliberation of about 2 seconds, I decided to use a soldering iron to fix my problem. 5 minutes later (3 of which it took to heat up the iron), I laid a small bead over the top of each contact on the multifunction switch, and VOILA!!! Everything works good, and I have a nice, resounding click whenever my blinkers engage. Forget the 40-50 bucks, and stick with some solder if you can. just make sure your metal tabs aren't haven't shorted out against something when they melted. Hope this might help someone out.
Thanks,
Stuart

1 - 8 of 8 Posts