Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
my wife was driving my 1990 Bronco (5.8) Automatic the other day. She called and told me the windows stopped working. Upon further investigation, both the front windows are inop, the rear power window doesn't work by the switch on the dash, but will work if you use the key hole in the tailgate, the windshield wipers don't work and the RABS light came on as well. I checked the fuses and everything looked fine. Moved a couple fuses around to make sure they weren't bad and everything stayed the same. Did a quick check on the wiring harness going into the firewall from the engine compartment, as well as looked for any signs of a rat chew, and I couldn't find anything. I haven't had a chance to dive in further but thought I would see if anyone had/has this issue?

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,395 Posts
I wonder if something is up with the ignition switch. The key in the tailgate is always hot, so it doesn't run thru the ignition switch. I think that everything else mentioned has some sort of input the ignition switch.

Fuse #14 should be for the windows on a 90. You might try a testlight/meter to see if it gets power to the fuse when the key is on. Also try rotating the key a little to see if it turns those components on between the normal positions. If you need one, click on the thumbnail below for a large 1990 fusebox legend.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well, you're right, the ignition switch isn't sending power to the windows, windshield wipers and RABS module. So that's a plus, I know what's going on. Now for the really pathetic part, anyone know how to replace the ignition switch on a '90 Bronco? I mean the housing around the ignition is all metal and doesn't look like it comes apart. Any help would be fantastic (ps, haynes manual was no help)

·
Registered
76 Posts
I believe your thinking bout the key cylinder. The ign switch is located on top of the steering column at the fire wall. Should have two small bolts and an electrical plug holding it there.

·
Driving Stuff Henry Built
-90 xlt, 351w, e4od, man 1356, 3.55, sag, warn hubs, 35s. -73, 400, np435, d20j twin, 35s
8,395 Posts
:stupid
The actual switch is behind the dash, on top of the steering column. It has been awhile since I changed one but it can be adjusted or replaced without tearing the key area of column apart. It seems like you might have to loosen the column from the dash to get the switch out, but like I said it's been awhile. There's a hooked rod that runs down the column that makes the switch move when you turn the key.

Does everything else related to the ignition work normally? Starter cranks when it should & so on?

·
Premium Member
6,787 Posts
I believe I will be takin on the same issue here soon. My truck just died and none of my electrical works from the cab side firewall on. No lights, windows etc.

It should just be a plug and play deal. Those switches are a little on the high side in price if I recall correctly.

·
Super Moderator
26,956 Posts
yo,
Switch Pin-Out Diagram & Continuity Testing (Logic Tables) in 80-91 & 92-96
Source: by Steve83 (Steve, That dirty old truck) at http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/831772

'80-91
Battery - Y - 37
Accy1 - Bk/LG - 297
Accy2 - Gy/Y - 687
Ign1 - R/LG - 16
Ign2 - Br/Pk - 262
Start - R/LB - 32
Proof1 - Pu/Wh - 977
Proof2 - Bk/LB - 41

Lock Cylinder & Switch Replacement & Depictions in 87-91 (figure 1) (from Factory Manual and the Ford Electrical & Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual (EVTM)Source: by Broncobill78 (Dave)

Switch Removal & Installation in an 89;resembles Ford's process
1.Disconnect the battery ground cable. Remove the steering column shroud and lower the steering column. 3.Disconnect the switch wiring at the multiple plug. 4.Remove the two nuts that retain the switch to the steering column. 5.Lift the switch vertically upward to disengage the actuator rod from the switch and remove the switch. 6.When installing the ignition switch, both the locking mechanism at the top of the column and the switch itself must be in the LOCK position for correct adjustment. To hold the mechanical parts of the column in the LOCK position, move the shift lever into PARK (with automatic transmissions) or REVERSE (with manual transmissions), turn the key to the LOCK position, and remove the key. New replacement switches, when received, are already pinned in the LOCK position by a metal shipping pin inserted in a locking hole on the side of the switch. 7.Engage the actuator rod in the switch. 8.Position the switch on the column and install the retaining nuts, but do not tighten them. 9.Move the switch up and down along the column to locate the mid-position of rod lash, and then tighten the retaining nuts. 10.Remove the locking pin, connect the battery cable, and check for proper start in PARK or NEUTRAL. Also check to make certain that the start circuit cannot be actuated in the DRIVE and REVERSE position. 11.Raise the steering column into position at instrument panel. Install steering column shroud.
Source: by Chilton

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the help guys, it was the ignition switch. It looked like it had split in half, just old age I suppose (20+ years). anyways, she is now running great, thanks for the help

·
AKA: Butthead
2,857 Posts
...it was the ignition switch.
{Cool! Thanks for the update, they are the best part of the thread!}

It looked like it had split in half, just old age I suppose (20+ years).
Nope. :)

It was from someone being rough with it somehow, maybe pulling off the
connector, for example? Not blaming you, just standing up for the switch's
design which is a good one.

Older ones than that are in mighty fine shape and still in service right now! ;)

----------------------------

Same with that switch's preceding design...

...got it out of a '75 C700 and put it in my '91 Bronco. ;)
(needed relays to help it since it can't carry the current the new ones can)

Alvin in AZ

·
Super Moderator
26,956 Posts
yo,
luckily you didn't have a Really Bad switch, as in:

Recall, Ignition Switch FSA 95S28 for 88-91 Bronco & F Series & many others; On some of the affected vehicles, a short circuit could develop in the ignition switch that could lead to overheating, smoke, and possibly fire in the steering column area of the vehicle. The condition may occur while the vehicle is in use or unattended. To correct this potential condition, the ignition switch will be replaced with a revised design switch. The wiring in the upper steering column area will also be inspected for the installation of any aftermarket electrical accessories. If an improper installation is noted you are to advise the customer of the need to have the condition corrected. These correction costs are not part of this recall. Media Announcement Announcement of this recall may occur in the media sooner than normal. Please order initial parts requirements immediately and be prepared to answer questions from owners. Circulate a copy of this bulletin to all affected dealership personnel. Special Question and Answer Information: A question and answer guide will be provided as soon as possible to assist regions and dealers when responding to customer inquiries. In addition you will be provided further information to help implement this recall as efficiently as possible. Owner Letter SAFETY RECALL 95S28 Ignition Switch Replacement Owner letters will begin to be mailed approximately July 1, 1996. Customers who bring an affected vehicle in for repair before receiving an owner letter should receive repairs promptly at no charge. OASIS and Claims Submission. Because of the large number of vehicles affected, VIN numbers cannot be identified in OASIS until approximately May 15, 1996. Please hold all claims until VIN numbers are identified in OASIS. Claims submitted before OASIS is loaded will automatically be rejected. Questions? Claims Information 1-800-423-8851. Other Recall Questions 1-800-325-5621 Attachments: Attachment I, Administrative Information, Attachment II, Labor Allowances, Parts Ordering Information, Attachment III , Technical Information. Affected Vehicle Identification Numbers cannot be identified in OASIS until approximately May 15, 1996. Before that time, use the list of affected vehicles noted above. For affected 1993 model year vehicles, refer to the vehicle build date found on the radiator support. Correct all vehicles in stock before delivery. Federal law requires dealers to complete any outstanding safety recall service before a new vehicle is delivered to the buyer or lessee. Violation of this requirement by a dealer could result in a civil penalty of up to $1,000 per vehicle. Promptly Correct Affected vehicles identified above. Hold all claims until affected Vehicle Identification Numbers are identified in OASIS which will occur approximately May 15, 1996. Claims submitted before OASIS is loaded will be automatically rejected. Enter claims using DWE. See ACESII Manual, Sections 5 and 6. Warranty and Policy Manual, See Sections 5 and 6 of the ACESII Manual.Refunds, See Section 3-59 of the ACESII Manual.Parts Purge, Return all previous level service stock to your facing PDC. Refer to Attachment II, page 2 for the instructions. All of the ignition switches listed below are to be withdrawn from your inventory and immediately returned, freight prepaid using the least expensive transportation, to your facing PDC within 30 days: E4UZ-11572-A (SW 1916) E4TZ-11572-A (SW 1562A) E6FZ-11572-A (SW 1744B) E7TZ-11572-A (SW 2101) F0LY-11572-A (SW 2219) F2TZ-11572-A (SW 2300) Ignition Switch Replacement: 1. Connect Rotunda Memory Saver 014-R1064 or equivalent. 2. Disconnect battery negative cable. NOTE: Access to the ignition switch varies depending on the vehicle line. In all cases the switch is mounted on the steering column and certain items will need to be removed to gain access. Examine the components around the ignition switch to determine what may need to be removed or positioned out of the way. Refer to the appropriate service repair manual for removal and installation procedures. Once access is gained, proceed as follows. The new ignition switch is shipped in the LOCK position. Keep the ignition lock cylinder (ignition key) in the lock position during this procedure. 3. Disconnect electrical connector from the ignition switch. 4. Remove ignition switch retaining screws. 5. Disengage switch from the actuator pin and remove switch from vehicle. 6. Remove the positioning clip from the new ignition switch if so equipped, and install the switch onto the actuator pin. Align the switch mounting holes with the column lock housing threaded holes. 7. If supplied, install new retaining screws. If re-installing original screws, apply Ford Threadlock and Sealer E0AZ-19554-AA (CXC-70) or equivalent to the threads. Tighten to 6-8 N-m (53-70 in-lb). 8. Connect electrical connector to the ignition switch. Ensure that the connections are tight and fully seated. 9. Connect battery negative cable and remove Rotunda Memory Saver. 10. Check ignition switch for proper function, including START and ACC positions. 11. Check the wiring in the area of the upper steering column. If abrasion or exposure of bare wires is found, repair as necessary. If aftermarket accessory wiring is improperly connected, advise the vehicle owner. Advise also that repairs of such faults are at customer expense. 12. Install any components previously removed for access ensuring that no wires are pinched and the components are properly seated. Refer to appropriate service repair manual as required. READ MORE
Source: by Ford via Chilton

and updated to include 1993
Recall, Ignition Switch, Short Circuit Defect info for 88-92 Fords On April 25, 1996 Ford Motor Company announced the recall of approximately nine million cars, trucks and minivans that may be equipped with a faulty ignition switch that may be responsible for causing hundreds of fires. In no case has any death or serious injury resulted from these fires. The recall covers 1988-93 models sold in both the U.S. and Canada that Ford says, "In a very small number of vehilces, the ignition switch could cause an internal short circuit, creating the potential for overheating, smoke and possibly fire in the steering column of the vehicle." The faulty ignitions switches can cause a short circuit that may lead to a fire whether the vehicle is turned on or off.
Source: by AUTOPEDIA™

1 - 10 of 10 Posts