Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'll start with the fluff and background. I installed an SSL 10.1 inch touchscreen stereo unit into my bronco ? and also wired a rear View camera I went to bypass my switch that activated and turned on the camera and blew my fuses and I thought I blew my stereo as well because replacing the fuses did not allow my stereo to turn on. Amazon sent me a new stereo I installed it and the new one won't turn on as well however, I can press the eject button for the CD player and I can hear the motor that normally would eject the CD spinning and activating.

Why am I getting some power to the radio but not getting the screen or buttons or anything to light up. On a sidenote I think my ECU isn't functional. I can I get my OBD I I reader to acknowledge a connection nor can I get any power for it for my heads up display anymore.

And on the third sidenote just out of curiosity I think I'm having some power issues (perhaps blown heads or some sort of misfire? I'd like to see what a stock 5.8l lookslike accelerating from 0 to 60 because mine seems really slow ha ha and all the videos online seem to be ridiculously fast but I don't know if they are stock trucks.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I'm having the same radio issues on mine but I just put a basic ken wood in it. I had a bad ecc so after I replaced it the truck starts and runs great but still no radio.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry for the errors I was using Siri to dictate. Where it says "can I" I meant can't.

My truck still runs though that's the crazy part! Idk if it's got an issue though? Like perhaps it's throwing codes that add up to mean a bad head gasket or something but I cannot get the codes. How did you fry your radio?

·
Super Moderator
26,069 Posts
yo CACO;
I believe you have a 96 and can not get the "OBD I I reader" to Power up";
If so, 96 Bronco & all Ford; Check the fuse for the cigarette lighter. It is shared with the OBDII Diagnostic Link Connector power and could be blown; our 96's lighter wiring shorted out @ ashtray support blowing Fuse #16 for it & Diagnostic Link Connector for the Code Reader
Here is the wiring diagram
If fuse is ok electrically (test it for continuity and if good; confirm batty voltage is present on Hot side of fuse socket - if no batty power check in Power Distribution Box in engine bay on driver side aft of air filter box; check MAXI-FUSE S
Of course if suspect fuses noted above power other items so if they operate ok, move on to other issues.
If good, check ground miesk5 note; G201 Behind bottom of LH kick panel
====

1996 F-150, F-250, F-350, F-Super Duty and Bronco Workshop Manual (PARTIAL)
Section 15-00: Audio Systems, Service
DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING
miesk5 Note, Pin-Point tests are not available, but chose applicable issue and let us know.
Symptom Charts
Use Rotunda 73 Digital Multimeter 105-R0051 or equivalent to perform electrical pinpoint tests.
SOUND SYSTEM FUNCTION
Condition
Possible Source
Action
•Radio Chassis Inoperative/Does Not Operate Properly
•Open fuse.
•Circuitry.
•Ignition switch.
•Radio chassis.
•GO to Pinpoint Test A.

•Radio Chassis Display Blank — Radio Chassis Operates
•Open fuse.
•Circuitry.
•Radio chassis.
•Ignition switch.
•GO to Pinpoint Test B.

•Radio Chassis/Tape Player Inoperative/Does Not Operate Properly
•Open fuse.
•Circuitry.
•Radio chassis.
•Tape player.
•Ignition switch.
•GO to Pinpoint Test C.

•Radio Chassis/Tape Player Display Blank — Radio Chassis/Tape Player Operates
•Open fuse.
•Circuitry.
•Radio chassis.
•Ignition switch.
•Tape player.
•GO to Pinpoint Test D.

•Compact Disc Radio Inoperative/Does Not Operate Properly
•Open fuse.
•Circuitry.
•Radio chassis.
•Digital audio compact disc radio.
•Ignition switch.
•GO to Pinpoint Test E.

•Compact Disc Radio Display Blank but Compact Disc Radio Operates
•Open fuse.
•Circuitry.
•Ignition switch.
•Radio chassis.
•Digital audio compact disc radio.
•GO to Pinpoint Test F.

•Tape Player Only Inoperative/Does Not Operate Properly
•Open fuse.
•Circuitry.
•Radio chassis.
•Tape player.
•Ignition switch.
•GO to Pinpoint Test G.

SOUND SYSTEM QUALITY
Condition
Possible Source
Action
•Noisy Reception, AM and FM
•Suppression equipment.
•Circuitry.
•Antenna.
•Radio chassis.
•GO to Pinpoint Test H.

•Noisy Reception, AM Only
•Suppression equipment.
•Circuitry.
•Antenna.
•Radio chassis.
•GO to Pinpoint Test J.

•Noisy Reception, FM Only
•Suppression equipment.
•Circuitry.
•Antenna kit.
•Radio chassis.
•GO to Pinpoint Test K.

•One or More Radio Speakers Distorted, Not All Radio Speakers
•Circuitry.
•Radio speakers.
•Radio chassis.
•Radio amplifier.
•GO to Pinpoint Test L.

•All Radio Speakers Distorted
•Circuitry.
•Radio chassis.
•Radio amplifier.
•GO to Pinpoint Test M.

•No Sound from One or More Radio Speakers, Not All Radio Speakers
•Circuitry.
•Radio speakers.
•Radio chassis.
•Radio amplifier.
•GO to Pinpoint Test N.

•No Sound from All Radio Speakers
•Circuitry.
•Radio chassis.
•Radio amplifier.
•Radio speakers.
•GO to Pinpoint Test P.

•Poor Sound Quality from One or More Radio Speakers, Not All Speakers
•Circuitry.
•Radio chassis.
•Radio amplifier.
•Radio speakers.
•GO to Pinpoint Test Q.

•Poor Sound Quality from All Radio Speakers
•Circuitry.
•Radio amplifier.
•Radio chassis.
•Radio speakers.
•GO to Pinpoint Test R.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'll start with the fluff and background. I installed an SSL 10.1 inch touchscreen stereo unit into my bronco ? and also wired a rear View camera I went to bypass my switch that activated and turned on the camera and blew my fuses and I thought I blew my stereo as well because replacing the fuses did not allow my stereo to turn on. Amazon sent me a new stereo I installed it and the new one won't turn on as well however, I can press the eject button for the CD player and I can hear the motor that normally would eject the CD spinning and activating.

Why am I getting some power to the radio but not getting the screen or buttons or anything to light up. On a sidenote I think my ECU isn't functional. I can I get my OBD I I reader to acknowledge a connection nor can I get any power for it for my heads up display anymore.

And on the third sidenote just out of curiosity I think I'm having some power issues (perhaps blown heads or some sort of misfire? I'd like to see what a stock 5.8l lookslike accelerating from 0 to 60 because mine seems really slow ha ha and all the videos online seem to be ridiculously fast but I don't know if they are stock trucks.
I dont have any input on your wiring issue, but I can tell you that 0-60 on even a healthy running 5.8L is slow as balls. I think 10-11 seconds is about right with 17-18 seconds in the 1/4 mile. Remember the 5.8L is rated at 215hp /275tq pushing a 4500 lb truck = slow as balls.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
All,

Thank you so much! I found all the problems turns out my radio had an inline fuse towards the power that I had blown. That being said my diagnostic port is now working again via the fuses in my dash. Even so Its not compatable with any obd devices (heads up display Bluetooth diagnostic tool and regular diag tool)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts