Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1994 Eddie Bauer 351W 230k mileage. I have had this truck for going on 2 yrs now and have had the same strange popping noise coming from, what I can approximate, the FPR. Cold, Warm, Hot, it is always there. thought it was maybe a lifter, but can actually feel the popping physically in the rail and gets more pronounced when feeling closer to FPR. Also when testing FP earlier, can feel it in the gauge. Its a pulsing of some kind. the needle on the FP tester wasn't jumping and reading a steady 30-32psi at idle. When I remove the vacume line from the FPR the noise is still present. This is driving me nuts and think it may have to do with some of the drivability issues that im having(very rich, stumbling, intermittent miss). Hoping someone on here has an idea. cant find any info when searching. thanks

·
Registered
9,813 Posts
I have a 1994 Eddie Bauer 351W 230k mileage. I have had this truck for going on 2 yrs now and have had the same strange popping noise coming from, what I can approximate, the FPR. Cold, Warm, Hot, it is always there. thought it was maybe a lifter, but can actually feel the popping physically in the rail and gets more pronounced when feeling closer to FPR. Also when testing FP earlier, can feel it in the gauge. Its a pulsing of some kind. the needle on the FP tester wasn't jumping and reading a steady 30-32psi at idle. When I remove the vacume line from the FPR the noise is still present. This is driving me nuts and think it may have to do with some of the drivability issues that im having(very rich, stumbling, intermittent miss). Hoping someone on here has an idea. cant find any info when searching. thanks
Have you checked the injectors? 230k is quite a bit on the original injectors. I know mine are sticking a bit and they have just under 200k. When you turn off the truck does the fuel pressure stay the same or drain down quickly? Any fuel in the vacuum line?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
A fuel pressure regulator is like $30, I'd replace the fawker for shits and giggles just from it's age!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you checked the injectors? 230k is quite a bit on the original injectors. I know mine are sticking a bit and they have just under 200k. When you turn off the truck does the fuel pressure stay the same or drain down quickly? Any fuel in the vacuum line?
When i checked my fuel pressure i was on my lunch break so didnt check for any drop off and everytime i have pulled that vacuum line off i have noticed no fuel in the vacuum line.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
A fuel pressure regulator is like $30, I'd replace the fawker for shits and giggles just from it's age!
I work in a parts dept for a dealer and dealer cost for a motorcraft is like $60 for my truck. i dont want any of that duralast crap on my truck, not saying thats what you have found for $30, but if you found a decent brand for that price, i would like to where for sure. would rather pay extra for better quality. I contemplated just replacing it for shits and giggles, but would like to know the source being as everywhere i search, no one has ever experienced this tapping noise and replaced the FPR because of it. the fuel flows in through the right(passenger) side of the motor into the left where it meets the FPR then into the tank as a return. without pulling the upper intake, its hard to pull connectors to figure out if it an injector, or not. I have run BG injector and intake cleaner through the engine to try to help without any change.

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
Advance stocks Borg-warner parts. I don't know how much better quality you get from an aftermarket product.

PR162T, standard motor parts. Who owns BWD. Got that from rockauto, $32.

BWD # 22856 $45.99 taken right from advance's website. Put in an online and save $$$.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry to dust off an old post, but have been away for a while. I did end up replacing the FPR with a motorcraft, and no change in the noise. I found a TSB on the issue that mentioned adding a new return line with a damper. Mine already has one installed so I will pull the the injector rail and make sure I have the newer style injectors. I did some reading on here and found some interesting things on those injectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts