Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys!

I have a 1990 bronco xlt. Theres a weird whine coming from the rear end, i dont its the ring and pinion, as i checked the grease and fluid, they were fine, i was thinkin maybe its the rear drums...anyway, tell me what yall think!

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
I don't know what to tell you. I can't think of anything off hand, maybe if I could hear it. If you think it might be the rear drums, take the wheels off and check it.

Off topic, I don't know why people ask about a noise over the internet, none of us can hear it so all you get is a guess and without actually hearing it, an uneducated guess. For any noise you and everybody else should take their vehicle to a local garage and get the mechanic to test drive it, it is free and they will help you narrow down the cause and then you can come on here with a little more info.

Also my local Ford dealer had a list of noise descriptions and what the definition was for each, I got the printout somewhere, I will try and find it and post it. It will help in determining what the problem is if we are all on the same page.

I'm not ragging on you Spoony Love, I just, I don't know, venting I guess.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks man!

yeah i took the wheels off already, and yeah i do need brakes, but i dont see anything in the brake area that would be cuasing it!

But yeah, it does seem silly to ask about a sound! but its kinda hard to describe, it only really does it at high speeds like 30mph+

Im thinkin it really is my ring and pinion, thats the only other thing it could be, btut i looks and everything seems fine, but they are stock and 16 years old..ya know? haha

·
Try it now!!
9,122 Posts
Spoony I had the same sound, a progressively higher/louder pitch whine as speed increased.

The bearing holding the pinion had worn out, creating play in the bearing, creating an inadequate wear pattern, trashing the gears. The only difference I can tell between your and my problem is the seal also was worn out allowing gear oil to leak from the pinion.

But just because it doesnt leak doesnt mean its not worn out.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks bro, yeah, maybe i should change that out before something bad happens, just to be on the safe side! haha

1 - 6 of 6 Posts