Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a weird sound coming from my 83 Ford Bronco. Its like a loud clicking, almost knocking sound coming from the wheels i think. It usually makes it after i go over bumps or after i turn. The slower i go the less the sound is made. When i slightly depress the break pedal it stops. Any thoughts? thanx

·
Living in Obscurity
1,928 Posts
Have you put a lift on your truck recently. I have heard of a similar sound being made by the spring retainer coming loose. But if you haven't lifted, you may want to look over your suspension, it sounds like something loose.

MM

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,829 Posts
93_bronco said:
idk, it could be your hubs
:stupid

Hubs are definitely the first and easiest place to check, if it is stopping when you apply the breaks, most likely it is something in the front hub.

·
Charlie don't surf..
'92 Ford Bronco XLT
15,829 Posts
Metal shavings, or anything broken or stripped.

·
haaarrrrr haaaarrrr
1,384 Posts
check the calipers, it's either the caliper floppin around cause the pin's are coming loose, or it's the brake pads floppin round. In that case glue em in there with some rtv.:thumbup

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just got my brakes redone. I got new pads. The noise started when i got it back from the shop. Do uu think the shop could have not reattached something right?

·
Registered
741 Posts
BmxnPyro said:
I just got my brakes redone. I got new pads. The noise started when i got it back from the shop. Do uu think the shop could have not reattached something right?
I would take it back to the shop that did the work and have them look at it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just found out it happened after i got the tires balanced and rotated, not after the brake job. Does that change anything?

·
Registered
741 Posts
either take it back and tell them that you have that sound, or go and buy some warn manual hubs.

G

·
i too am having a problem that i think has to do with the hubs... lets see...

when im driving, there is this grinding sound, when i turn the wheel to the left, it goes away, back to staright, it starts up again... i think right stays the same:shrug but i did get my hubs looked at (i have the auto ones - stock), and the guy said they were pretty much shot... so does this sound mean that my 4 wheel drive is constantly engaged? is this safe? thanks

also, how much does a pair of those warn manual hubs cost, and could someone with no experience install them, or is there some experience you need there? thanks a lot for your help everyone :thumbup

--ric

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
The last set of Warn hubs I purchased was about $57-60.

Installation is fairly simple, also the hubs might come with installtion instructions.

BmxnPyro--

Have the brake calipers checked.

G

·
The Yak said:
The last set of Warn hubs I purchased was about $57-60.

Installation is fairly simple, also the hubs might come with installtion instructions.

BmxnPyro--

Have the brake calipers checked.
would you be able to give me a quick run through? i searched about 3 times, and couldnt find anything on installation :shrug

also, about his problem, its the same thing mine also does - i just had my calipers replaced about a week ago...

·
CheeseBurger Milkshake!!
3,760 Posts
I'll explain this the best I can:

Tools you'll need: Small allen wrench, phillips screwdriver, snap ring pliers set on external, and 2 small flathead screwdrivers (a small awl with a hooked end works well too), wheel bearing grease would also be a good idea.

Remove the six allen screws holding the outer piece of the hub in place. Remove the phillips screw, then the 'syncro' and spring. Use the small screwdrivers/awl to remove the large internal retaining ring (it can be hard to see, but it's there), and the snap ring pliers to remove the snap ring on the end of the axleshaft. Grab one of the allen screws and thread it into the outer part of the hub and pull the remainder of the assembly out.

To assemble, reverse the process as stated above.

Good Luck!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts