Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...the Great Black Hole of Employment in the United States of America. Once jobs go in here, they never come out...alive! :rofl:

·
Registered
157 Posts
jeez, I was gonna finish my education and live in Michigan. Now going back to Texas looks a little better, all I know is, I want the hell OUT of NJ

·
Registered
762 Posts
Really depends on what you do though. Educated and you can find a job. want to work in the auto industry then your screwed, look high tech, health care, buy a restaurant. Opportunity is where you make it.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
Michigan Motel. Jobs check in. They don't check out.

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Really depends on what you do though. Educated and you can find a job. want to work in the auto industry then your screwed, look high tech, health care, buy a restaurant. Opportunity is where you make it.
I wish it were that simple. White-collar jobs are now leaving as fast as the blue-collar jobs left in the 1980s. I could easily find work as a police officer or a jail worker, maybe even something in health care. But I'm an electrical engineering student. Many of my friends have moved far away because of the dire situations here. I don't want to get a job here, and then find that I have no friends left within a short walk or drive of me anymore. Even though I'm in a field that's in high demand, what difference is it going to make if I have to live in a place full of jobless poor people, drug addicts, crime, etc.? Those things are invading every neighborhood in Michigan.

I don't want to raise a family here, not when those things are crossing into neighborhoods that, up until a few years ago, didn't even bother locking their doors or closing the garage door at night. Now, you can't even leave a piece of metal in the front yard or out back because motherf*cking worthless lowlife scrappers WILL steal it. They've ripped a statue of Jesus off a cross on a church in Detroit because they thought He was made of copper. How much worse does it have to get? Would you raise kids in a place like that?

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,198 Posts
:rofl:

Well sig, look at it this way, Mich. is on par with Cally and Alaska :D Though my state sucks as well in the unemployment percentage rate too. :cry

KC

·
Registered
1,774 Posts
Now, you can't even leave a piece of metal in the front yard or out back because motherf*cking worthless lowlife scrappers WILL steal it.QUOTE]

When i was cleaning up my axle tube and random parts and painting them a few weeks ago, they were all out in the drive way. I went inside to answer the phone and not 2 mints later come out to find a scrap guy eyeing all my parts. This is the coversation that followed...

me - "What's up? Can i help you?"
Scrap Guy - "Are you tossing any of these? I'll take them off your hands for you"
me- "Since when do you put primer on parts before you throw them away?"
Scrap guy - "oh, well, if you change your mind i'm always around"

I was about two seconds shy of throwing my spindle at him.

What really sucks is that there is no work up north. I would move up there in a heartbeat!

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Well just FYI, our unemployment rate locally hasn't been hurt at all, and our housing market has only gone up (mine went up ~8% this past year)...your problems up there seem to be really closely tied to the auto industry since that's quite a bit of the industry up in that area. My "bigger" industry in our city of ~20,000 is farming, Enersys batteries, and some RANS kit airplanes/recumbent bikes that I can think off of the top of my head....

·
Trying to finish it
1,355 Posts
Sigep if you want to move to Ohio it's not as bad as you think the bar down the road needs an expierenced bartender, I've already found you a job. and they are still building houses. Just run away from Michigan. Or just re-arrange the words of greenday's song welcome to paradise.

·
Slow Noob
1,220 Posts
i'm staying employed where i'm at, not much around here making the kind of money i'm making without a college degree

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,741 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I was about two seconds shy of throwing my spindle at him.

What really sucks is that there is no work up north. I would move up there in a heartbeat!
I feel ya there, man. Anywhere north of Saginaw, and yes, I would be there in no time. The scenery alone would be worth it. But like you said, as bad as things are down here...it'd be even more difficult to find employment up there. I remember stories from my high school shop teacher about the Native Americans on reservations up in 'da yoo pee' betting money that they'd drink tourists' aftershave. Alcoholism much? lol Yeah, another product of low employment. Nice part is that you can just FLY across the UP without seeing a soul, especially at night in winter (not smart, but fun). I miss fishing on the northern streams and lakes, too.

In Toledo, they've been literally ripping air conditioning units off the roofs of buildings for scrap aluminum, and ripping wiring out of under-construction buildings for the copper. Police crews are now monitoring the scrapyard every day for theives, asking questions and looking for suspicious items.

Well just FYI, our unemployment rate locally hasn't been hurt at all, and our housing market has only gone up (mine went up ~8% this past year)...your problems up there seem to be really closely tied to the auto industry since that's quite a bit of the industry up in that area. My "bigger" industry in our city of ~20,000 is farming, Enersys batteries, and some RANS kit airplanes/recumbent bikes that I can think off of the top of my head....

You're right that as the American auto industry falls, it's had serious repercussions on almost every manufacturer around. The exceptions are the manufacturers that have NOT tied themselves around the neck to the auto industry, but have diversified into aerospace, consumer goods, industrial clients, etc., and had the foresight to globalize their company. Sure, the $30/hr union jobs aren't around anymore, but who wants to pay $50 for an ice cream scoop? :rofl: j/k but I think most Michiganders get the point that the low-level manufacturing jobs are gone forever. That's not to say manufacturing is gone totally; moreover, we have SO MUCH TALENT HERE that's being squandered!!!

Take for instance the fact my father's a project engineer for a machine and tool shop. He does a lot of the pre-interview questions and sorts through applications when he's not trying to stop the place from burning down. :rofl: Anyhoo, they are having a f*ck of a time trying to find competent CNC operators and machinists these days, when a decade or two ago, you could almost pay $10/hr and get people fighting their way into the door. As soon as those jobs at places like Champion Spark Plug, Autolite, AC, Jeep (all in Toledo), Ford, Chrysler, the various GM/Delphi plants (in Michigan) dried up, you had millions of skilled workers put out on the street or leaving the state.

It was almost as bad in Grand Rapids, and it's evidenced by the exceedingly large homeless population we now have, but also the number of older skilled workers we have in many of the smaller, specialized manufacturers around this city. The saving grace of both places has been the relative diversity of economies (or lack thereof), and you can directly compare Grand Rapids and Detroit if you want.

Sigep if you want to move to Ohio it's not as bad as you think the bar down the road needs an expierenced bartender, I've already found you a job. and they are still building houses. Just run away from Michigan. Or just re-arrange the words of greenday's song welcome to paradise.
I've thought about running a bar, but I think I've got enough education loans to pay off that I'd best stick with engineering for now. Trust me, it's tempting!!! :D If I don't move further north, I'm definitely moving deep south. NO MORE SALT!!! :rofl:

i'm staying employed where i'm at, not much around here making the kind of money i'm making without a college degree
I hear ya. If you're making decent bread on what you're already doing, there's no reason to leave, especially if you're in a community that's going to be thriving for another generation or two. My concern is/was that in order for me to find a position in EE that really blows my skirt up [insert horrible visual here], I'd more than likely have to live somewhere I wouldn't be comfortable, and for the reasons I've mentioned. West Michigan is OUT. Sorry, it's great and pretty, and the people are great, but it's just way too...nice? It was a real mindf*ck moving from Detroit to GR, I'll leave it at that.

I didn't start the thread to really rip on Michigan itself or its people, but moreover to rip on its leadership (whom have failed MISERABLY), and to further illustrate our reality to the entire FSB family: yes, it's bad trying to find decent, half-way secure work here. As I've mentioned, we have incredible talent here!!! It's just that the jobs that facilitate that talent are either gone or leaving.

·
Registered
244 Posts
Yeah...I live in Alaska...but I've always managed to find a job whenever I want one.. *I take a 3-4 month vacation every 4-5 years* within a week. Don't know, I suppose it's all on your qualifications and dedication to not being poor.

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
i hear that man, im happy to be here in pittsburgh, but the city is still sloaping downhill even with some of the major parts of the city being demolished and built brand new. im not even gonna start on my job, we'll just say im not very happy.

·
Registered
589 Posts
the number on reason i moved from michigan to Kansas. got a job that pays the same, and a house that costs a quarter of what it did in michigan. 108,000 house in michigan a 34,000 house in kansas(with air conditioning ;-) same size house, same pay at work, gas is 20 cents cheaper, and im not surrounded by lakes. ah the freedom.

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
the number on reason i moved from michigan to Kansas. got a job that pays the same, and a house that costs a quarter of what it did in michigan. 108,000 house in michigan a 34,000 house in kansas(with air conditioning ;-) same size house, same pay at work, gas is 20 cents cheaper, and im not surrounded by lakes. ah the freedom.
mine wasn't 34k :duh

1 - 18 of 18 Posts