Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got talking with someone who owns a large 4x4 fabrication and laser cutting company. If there is a big enough demand for some weld it yourself front or rear bumper kits, he would make some designs and start selling them. Maybe even some rock sliders, bronco specific front or rear 4 link brackets, and a trac bar bracket for the SAS. let me know what you guys think, any feedback would be appreciated. thanks

:popc1:

Moderators- wasnt sure were this should go so please move if neccessary

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Sounds like a good idea to me....

Though it might be a tough sell. Problem is that with the cost of materials and the time to develop these kits, as well as produce them, the cost would be quite high.

Cheaper than a fully welded bumper from someone yes. But you have to consider how many people are willing to pay X amount for a pile of metal.

While I feel some pre-fabbed bumpers are over priced, there is alot of expense in just the materials.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a good idea to me....

Though it might be a tough sell. Problem is that with the cost of materials and the time to develop these kits, as well as produce them, the cost would be quite high.
:thumbup thanks for the input

he does alot of other weld it yourself kits for various different trucks, as well as diff covers and other parts so he is already set up and in production. He would only have to draw a design and cut it out. Which is time consuming, but that is why I am here getting some input first.

:popc1:

·
Registered
981 Posts
I asked around to several different vendors about having the pieces seperate and letting me weld them together. None of the prices were a big enough drop to justify the expense. Your costs in materials, R&D, etc have to be paid.
Usually if someone can weld, then they will just buy the materials and do it themselves.

You would have to be like 50% of the cost of a prefab bumper thats out there to really make it appealing to someone. Or something along those lines.

·
Premium Member
1,713 Posts
Yes I agree. I nice looking plate bumper for $400 I would be all over....But at the full price of 800+, it just doesn't matter how much I like it, I can't spend that much $$

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
I've been asked repeatedly for diy weld together kits. We have been seriously considering doing a kit but to be completely honest I can't justify it. The material cost and cost to operate the CNC and all the design work puts it out of the price range most people want to spend on a "Kit". My profit range on a full welded bumper isn't great. I make more money on local custom fabrication. I have priced my bumpers at $725 for a full plate bumper. There are other companies selling fully welded plate bumpers for very similar pricing to what your talking for a kit. Our solution was to sell our winch mount separately and then customers can build the rest of their bumper them selves to save money. The number of people that want a kit vs. the number that would prefer to just bolt it on is slim. As far as all the other stuff same thing....slim market. I've got a full SAS kit coming out very soon but I know that it will be a small market. I did it mainly to make my life easier for the guys I'm doing SAS's for in my shop.

·
Registered
93 Posts
So your buddy is looking for demand to be able to offer up prices? I think that's putting the horse before the cart. If he would, for instance, offer up a price at 10 units, 15 units, and 20 units, then you may find the demand. I would offer my installation services to make sure they fit!! LOL!

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
So, (thinking out loud here) Is there a demand for the pre-fab bumpers (I guess Hefty says yes)
BUT, are you thinking the whole bumper or just the pieces that require the cutting/fabrication? like the piece that bolts to the frame and then bars welded onto it

With just the frame bolt on parts, they are much smaller and easier to ship

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
I asked around to several different vendors about having the pieces seperate and letting me weld them together. None of the prices were a big enough drop to justify the expense. Your costs in materials, R&D, etc have to be paid.
Usually if someone can weld, then they will just buy the materials and do it themselves.

You would have to be like 50% of the cost of a prefab bumper thats out there to really make it appealing to someone. Or something along those lines.
I agree. Why would i pay 400-500 for a bumper that i still have to weld up. Plus if it doesnt fit up just right i would be pissed. I would rather pay 300 or so for material and just take some time to build what i want.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I'd have to pay somebody to weld that shit on for me anyways so my costs for a DIY weld or a complete bumper would come out about even

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
So, (thinking out loud here) Is there a demand for the pre-fab bumpers (I guess Hefty says yes)
BUT, are you thinking the whole bumper or just the pieces that require the cutting/fabrication? like the piece that bolts to the frame and then bars welded onto it

With just the frame bolt on parts, they are much smaller and easier to ship
I'm saying there is an interest but no one wants to pay for it. Basically everyone that I have said I would build a kit for wants to pay less than the materials and time involved in making a kit. Still have to do all the cuts and bends. Still have all the engineering, still have the consumables and the operation of the CNC to pay for. Still have to pay for firing up the press break. When all is said and done there is interest but the market doesn't seem to support the amount of money it takes to make a kit and make any sort of profit. My bumpers are basically a kit anyway. I build them all in the same way. Every 92-96 bronco bumper gets the same parts, bent and cut the same way. I weld them together and do the final grinding etc. My main cost is not in the assembly stage, its in materials and the parts production. Our plate bumper has 19 separate pieces that have to be assembled in a jig and in order for the bumper to fit properly. For the average guy.....not an easy kit

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
I'm saying there is an interest but no one wants to pay for it. Basically everyone that I have said I would build a kit for wants to pay less than the materials and time involved in making a kit. Still have to do all the cuts and bends. Still have all the engineering, still have the consumables and the operation of the CNC to pay for. Still have to pay for firing up the press break. When all is said and done there is interest but the market doesn't seem to support the amount of money it takes to make a kit and make any sort of profit. My bumpers are basically a kit anyway. I build them all in the same way. Every 92-96 bronco bumper gets the same parts, bent and cut the same way. I weld them together and do the final grinding etc. My main cost is not in the assembly stage, its in materials and the parts production. Our plate bumper has 19 separate pieces that have to be assembled in a jig and in order for the bumper to fit properly. For the average guy.....not an easy kit
could not have said it better myself

when the diy welder gets it all welded together and it don't fit he would blame the kit for being cut or stamped wrong rather then being welded together incorrectly and not fitting on the truck like it should

I had a few people asking for just plates for my engine mounts they would weld it together themselves without the jig to hold everything the engine would never line up like it should but it would be my fault as the plates were made wrong :doh0715: that is why I would not sell diy kits it is just a bad idea

·
Need a Bumper?
4,769 Posts
could not have said it better myself

when the diy welder gets it all welded together and it don't fit he would blame the kit for being cut or stamped wrong rather then being welded together incorrectly and not fitting on the truck like it should

I had a few people asking for just plates for my engine mounts they would weld it together themselves without the jig to hold everything the engine would never line up like it should but it would be my fault as the plates were made wrong :doh0715: that is why I would not sell diy kits it is just a bad idea
BINGO!;)

·
Registered
93 Posts
There is one aspect of the DIY kit that has not been mentioned, and that is the design and templates. I agree with Hefty and InfoFord on all points; materials and fab as part of the kit is not ideal. If a person wanted to build their own and loved the look of a bumper they saw online, it would be cool to be able to buy the plans.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
There is one aspect of the DIY kit that has not been mentioned, and that is the design and templates. I agree with Hefty and InfoFord on all points; materials and fab as part of the kit is not ideal. If a person wanted to build their own and loved the look of a bumper they saw online, it would be cool to be able to buy the plans.
problem with that is now your designs is now in the general public with plans and a template

thus freeely copied all over the internet you research and development just became free because joe the diy welder didn't have to design and measure research so he can no use it as a cookie cutter and sell bumbers at a discount rate because it is a copy and paste

building a bumper from pictures is more involved even if it looked the same when done the diy bumper would be of primarly his own design as things will be different as his perspective would be his own

·
Registered
93 Posts
problem with that is now your designs is now in the general public with plans and a template/QUOTE]

Well, yes I guess. They do it all day long in wood working. Why not metal working? There is a market if you're willing to offer up a nice looking plan. If not, don't. I'm not advocating giving it away btw! If I spent the time to create the pattern, I'd want a few bucks for my time.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts