Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I searched for quite a while and couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for. I'm swapping in a 9" rearend in place of a blown 8.8 and I don't have the money for a locker or even a mini-spool honestly. I'm considering just welding the rear end as an alternative. I know that a mini-spool is the ideal way to do it, but like I said...I can't afford the $30 for it. So...on the technical side...how difficult is it to weld up a 9"? I'm thinking I can just drop out the third member, throw it on a bench and weld it up. Any tips? Thanks!

·
Registered
95 Posts
Your best bet is to pull the carrier out, split it and weld the side gears to the case then throw the spiders in the trash. I did this to the diff in my EB and it's lasted for about 6 years now running 38's and 5.13's. DON'T go the mini-spool route, this will eventually oblong the cross shaft holes in the diff and split it in half. It also will help if you heat up the side gear and the diff 1/2 before welding it...makes for a better weld.

greg

·
Registered
421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your best bet is to pull the carrier out, split it and weld the side gears to the case then throw the spiders in the trash. I did this to the diff in my EB and it's lasted for about 6 years now running 38's and 5.13's. DON'T go the mini-spool route, this will eventually oblong the cross shaft holes in the diff and split it in half. It also will help if you heat up the side gear and the diff 1/2 before welding it...makes for a better weld.

greg
Really? No spider gears in there? Interesting...I hadn't thought about trying that. Glad to know the mini-spool is not a good idea. When business picks up (I'm a mortgage broker) and I start making good money again, I'd like to buy a hi-nine third member with an ARB or Detroit. But until then...welded it is.

·
Registered
3,825 Posts
I agree, weld the side gears to the case. Thats what I have done in the past with no problems. I also preheat but in addition I use a high nickle rod to weld it. Do a search because there are a few good threads covering this. good luck.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts