Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys I've never welded before and don't know much about it..

I was told I should get a mig welder with gas hookups.. Well why I've been waiting to be able to affoard it, I was just given a 70 amp Arc welder.. I figure since it's 110v that I won't be able to weld very thick steel..

Can anyone point me to a "difference between welding types" or give me the basics on what I need to know?

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
communtiy college welding class if you have the time. usually VERY affordable and give good instructions and tips to get you ready to weld some decent stuff.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
wish I had the time, but right now I'm studying to get my MCP's so I can get my MCSE..

·
Registered
253 Posts
the 70 amp arc should be goo for up to 1/8 in or smaller anything thicker you'll need to slow way down notch your steel and do multiple passes. I'd go with a mig 125 or better to weld almost any of your comman fab's for your truck and houshold uses (mig is the easiest of all welding applications.) also if you're in a shop to weld get the gas it's alot cleaner with no slag. but if you'll be outside alot go with a Flux core it's sheilded without the use of gas.has to be chipped of slag but much better for outside use. hope it helps.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This welder was given to me.. I figured I might be able to try and learn some basics before I spend a ton of cash on a mig welder..

·
Chaos is coming!!
515 Posts
Arc welding and mig welding are two different ways of welding. Mig is good for just about all types of welding (if you have a 220V welder) Arc is not to good for welding sheet metal, you can easily burn through if your not used to welding. Arc welding is good for thick heavy stuff and also for welding cast materials. I use a 110V Miller mig welder for some stuff and a friend of mine has a lincoln 220V mig welder for the heavier gage stuff. I dont use flux core for mig welding. I tried it once and will never go back to it. It was messy and there was spatter all over the place.
If you want to practice, just use what you got for now and get the technique down first. Then get the proper welder afterwards.

·
Registered
9,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
jerelight said:
If you want to practice, just use what you got for now and get the technique down first. Then get the proper welder afterwards.
Exactly.. That's what I figured..

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
A 70a 110v welder is not good for much, if anything. Ive had one to toy with, it was pure junk. Your gonna have a terrible time trying to strike an arc, the rod will just keep sticking. A real welder, you will have a terrible time trying to GET the rod to stick, it will strike an arc so easily you can almost do it blind. And this is from an experienced, ex-professional weldor (me).

Good luck,
Andrew

·
Registered
6,103 Posts
I got this book from lowes in the welding section of the tool section they have. I can't remember the name of the book. It is basically a handbook on all the differant types of welding and how to weld using the differant types. Gives tips and stuff. Also teaches you about oxy torches. Its a great book. I read the whole thing before I did any welding which brings me to my second point. Find a friend who can weld and learn from them. Watching Dave's bronc 90 weld on my bumper was very educational. I also learned to not weld near the grill and the importance a fireproof blanket can have :toothless

1 - 13 of 13 Posts