Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suck at teh search, otherwise this thread wouldn't exist.

I'm planning to weld the spiders on my D44 in my 1979 Bronco. It's currently on 31s and will be going to 34s shortly (soon as I get off my ass and have 'em mounted).

I'm aware that turning will be very different (but not much different from a typical locker when engaged) and yada yada yada.

What other potential downfalls will there be?

My thinking is that when lockers are engaged it's a bitch to turn anyway. Most everyone I talk to with a front locker (and lock-out hubs) says they wish they had just welded it to begin with and saved a few bucks.

The plan is to tack the spiders together with the axle assembled, pull it apart, and weld the gears with the carrier out of the housing.

Any recommendations on how to do it better?

·
Convicted Drunk Dialer
2,521 Posts
Spools are cheap, and wont break apart, destroying your diff.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
just make sure its super clean, turn the heat up, and protect the bearings. I would weld the gears together and weld them to the side of the carrier.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,025 Posts
other downfalls, much more likely to snap shafts and pop ujoints. Turning locked puts a lot of stress on the ujoint area.

·
Engineer
13,163 Posts
It'll work but it wont turn at all on high traction surfaces. The tires will pull the truck around so off camber you slide down hill everytime. Turning will be tough on or off the throttle where as with a locker you get some ratcheting affect though on a lockright or cheap locker it's not much.

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
My thinking is that when I get larger tires I'll probably go to 4.10s (or that range), which will require replacement of the carrier anyway, yes? If I keep it long enough to regear I'll probably install a selectable locker. I just figure welding will give me that advantage until I can actually regear and install a real locker, I don't like lunchboxes at all.

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...and 95% of its use will be on the trails, which are sand and mud around here. It sees plenty of street time. All the way to the trails and back. :D

·
is hazardous to others
1,656 Posts
just make sure its super clean, turn the heat up, and protect the bearings. I would weld the gears together and weld them to the side of the carrier.
um... no. if u take the spiders out of the carrier u can just weld up some of the gaps in between the teeth and basically have a mini spool than u don't F up the carrier.

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I would not advise welding it up if your running it on the road. It will shorten the life of the bearings and the tires dramatically. If your running it off road then weld it up.

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm only talking about the D44 on teh front axle. The 9" will remain open for at least a while longer. I don't think it should affect the tire wear or anything like that on the front axle, given that I can unlock both hubs and have free-spinning tires.
Even if I did weld the 9" (which I may), it literally only sees street time heading to the trails. The tires would still most likely dryrot before I ran them completely down.

·
Premium Member
12,534 Posts
I guess I need to read the thread a little bit better next time. For some reason I thought we were talking about the rear. I'll shut up now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
double checking the way a locker should work, if the truck is on jack stands and both hubs locked, turning the drive shaft yolk, both tires should turn the same direction?

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I guess I need to read the thread a little bit better next time. For some reason I thought we were talking about the rear. I'll shut up now.
No need, you usually fuel good experience/advice to the discussion... and you have a BAD ASS truck.

·
Registered
712 Posts
It'll work but it wont turn at all on high traction surfaces. The tires will pull the truck around so off camber you slide down hill everytime. Turning will be tough on or off the throttle where as with a locker you get some ratcheting affect though on a lockright or cheap locker it's not much.
What about running off camber on a muddy or otherwise slippery slope? With the open diff one tire will slip and he will have no traction in the front, with welded diff one tire will still be slipping, but at least now the other one has some power to it and can help pull the truck. Then for the paved road he will just unlock the hub and the T-case, which I bet is how he runs it anyways for fuel economy purposes.

·
Forged Off Road, LLC
675 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
MLSC, you're such a ***. hahaha!!

1 - 20 of 62 Posts