Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ive heard from several people that you must pre-heat the axle housing in order to weld on spring perches. is that only for cast parts (diff housing)? also do you need to use a specfic type of wire ie (flux core) or would .035 wire work ? your help is greatly appreciated

·
Registered
13,891 Posts
If you're welding to the axle tubes, no preheating is necessary. And yes, .035" wire is fine, flux-core, or not. Myself, I'd prefer it, because it has better penetration than MIG does. And I'm all about penetration :hump

·
Registered
2,896 Posts
no need to preheat when your welding steel on steel. I prefer the stick welder with a 7018 in it because I can get much better penetration, control, and a better looking weld, but a wire feed will work fine too

·
Registered
415 Posts
I like the stick also. I like that i know how deep the weld is, by the size of the puddle, and i have better control that way.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,026 Posts
badass1tonf100 said:
ive heard from several people that you must pre-heat the axle housing in order to weld on spring perches. is that only for cast parts (diff housing)? also do you need to use a specfic type of wire ie (flux core) or would .035 wire work ? your help is greatly appreciated
As already mentioned and just confirming.....I didn't preheat mine. I've only heard that discussed as it relates to cast parts. I used my 175 mig with .035 wire.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts