Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
7,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well after a couple years test driving vehicles, reading reviews, going to auto shows, and talking with people my wife has finally made a decision on her next vehicle. A 2008 Honda Ridgeline RTL. Leather, Navi, DVD, Heated Seats, etc.

Now we are just waiting for the right time to go in. I am watching the prices and waiting for a sale. Hopefully with the economy dump they will throw one of those "Employee pricing" sales soon.

How do you guys go into a dealership and negotiate the price? I have always been a sucker for a good salesman and have never been one to argue price. However I really want to get the best deal on this next cruck. What are your suggestions?

Oh and the other vehicles that were close:
Nissan Armada: Nice ride but $20K overpriced
Infinity Version of Armada: Nicer ride but overpriced $30k
Ford Expedition: Nice ride, but Ihate our local Ford dealerships and it too is overpriced for what you get. I cant see spending $60k for a family vehicle.

Keep in mind this is my wifes vehicle, not mine. I still have the F350 so it isnt like we are replacing a truck with a cruck. We are replacing a POS Hyundai with a Cruck! LOL.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
My only advice is don't take the undercoating or the so called paint sealant. By you waxing the truck with a good synthetic you'll protect the paint just as well if not better. It's just extra money for the dealer. Nice pick, I like the Ridgeline.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Haggling is really easy as long as you remember one simple rule. If your buying, you can always start low and work your way up, but never the opposite. That combined with getting a loan through the bank and dealing with the dealership in cash, will give you the best deal.

Example: Say they want $30,000 for that Ridgeline. Once I was ready to buy, I would offer them "$20,000 cash, out the door." (If you don't know, that means $20,000 is your price with no B.S. fees or taxes) Now, I'm pretty sure that they won't go for that, but we now have a starting point and can go from there. Now, if I had said "$25,000 cash, out the door," and they say "O.K." I can't say "well how about $20,000, instead" They already know that I can pay the extra 5 grand.

Another couple of tips: Buy one they have on the lot, as they'll be more willing to deal on something in stock. Also, go on a day with bad weather. Most people won't go out when it's raining or snowing, and therefore the sales for the day will be down, and again, they'll be more willing to deal.

Good Luck!

mR

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
You may be waiting a while for Honda to offer the deals and discounts other manufacturers do. Now is as good as time as any to get it.

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
My dad seems to be a pretty good haggler, he just does what others have said. Go in, name a low price. When they say no and go high, start walking out. Then they come get you and talk about a new price. Then you say no, i wanted it $X and try walkin out again. Do this until they get down to the price you want.

If they don't come down to a reasonable price, just walk out. They will probably call you a few days later, and offer you something pretty close to what you wanted.

Also if you can get a loan ahead of time and walk in with cash it will make a HUGE difference in price. Don't even mention how you got the cash, just show up with it. Are you a member of a credit union? most of them have insane good interest rates on car loans and wil approve you within minutes.

·
0 Posts
Are you a member of a credit union? most of them have insane good interest rates on car loans and wil approve you within minutes.
^ yup. And most credit unions have an auto department where you can order your new vehicle from as well.

·
Banned
5,463 Posts
Costco sucks. I just looked at their site.. it looks like they will sell them for invoice. Thats nothing like $3000 off a 36k truck.

If the truck is mid- high 30s try to get get 8-10k off. Atleast try for 10k off then settle for 8k off msrp sticker. Try and get 0% financing too.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
man those things are ugly

·
Wrenching for a Livin'
6,949 Posts
Explain why? They get their money no matter who you finance through. Most will want you to finance through them because they reap the benefit.

I used to work at a motorcycle dealership. It might be different, hence why I'm asking....but when people used to walk in with cash, our salesmen couldn't care less. A lot of times, they would prefer to get the customer financing instead because of the incentives for "us". (They hated the guy that walked in with zip lock bags full of $1 bills.)

As far as I'm concerned, walking in with your own financing is ALWAYS wise because it makes the entire process less painful. The less time I would have to spend at the dealership the better.
I didn't really think of that, but your right, dealerships do make more money on financing thru them than for a cash purchase. They make even more if you lease the car(leasing sucks). What i was thinking was more to do with smaller dealerships i guess. Most of the time, with smaller dealerships, where they aren't making anything on financing will sell for a little less with cash in hand. Big honda dealership probably would care less like you said.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
I think walking in without having to finance or deal with it through them gives you more to bargain with. I mean if i walk in with a pal loan for 24k and they want 30k for the vehicle and i say i got 24k cash tax tag title and warranty out the door and they say no i go on my way. I did this with my Durango the price they wanted was right at 31k. i walked out paying 24k out the door.

·
Premium Member
8,515 Posts
I think walking in without having to finance or deal with it through them gives you more to bargain with. I mean if i walk in with a pal loan for 24k and they want 30k for the vehicle and i say i got 24k cash tax tag title and warranty out the door and they say no i go on my way. I did this with my Durango the price they wanted was right at 31k. i walked out paying 24k out the door.
I think theres some truth to that, they see so many non buyers and buyers that can't get funding that its sometimes hard to get them down to their best price cause you may just be a waste of time.

The thing to remember is - be prepared to walk away if you don't get the price you want. Folks are so excited to get a new truck or Car they almost always take what ever the first offer is, plus a large percentage are just happy to get approved for the funding, they'll take it at any price. Dealers also play that game to, "well, hopefully they'll approve you, have to wait and see, call me tomorrow".

·
Registered
484 Posts
From a lender's perspective...

If you get a direct loan (not at the dealership), the bank wants to fight for your business. (Especially if you go into a branch, they get sales points if you finance with them.)

At the dealership, the dealer can get a kickback from the bank if they can get you to take a loan with a higher rate. ie You may be approved for 6%, but if their finance guy can get you to take 8%, the dealership gets a quarter of the difference, that sort of thing.

Good luck! I'm horrible at haggling, so I feel your pain. ;)

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,734 Posts
Nice pick, man. I may get one once I'm out of college and can afford such nice wheels.

Until then, I'll keep patchin' this POS flat. ;)

·
Registered
904 Posts
Another useful line goes something like this:

"OK, well, thats more than i want to pay, i think ill go check out (insert name of a competitor here) and see what they can do for me"

We have a couple bigger dealerships around me, ipswich ford, and a GM dealership right across the street. If you tell ipswich ford that you are going to go check out what the bow tie guys can do for you, they will give you the shirt off of there damn back.

That single sentance was worth about $4,000 last time my step dad bought a subaru... hes a genius...

Another good tactic is to bring a second person with you. It gives you a second brain in the whole process, and also leaves the salesmen outnumbered, which can really tilt the intimidation factor in your favor.

·
RIP Spring Creek Off Road
6,012 Posts
so why not work with them and have them expecting you to go through their financing and get the price worked down with them thinking they will make it back on the financing's interest... when you get them down some whip out the cash you borrowed elsewhere at a lower rate... dunno if that would work but i have heard people claim this is what they did ... personally i'd rather just buy used (just a year or two old) myself and save the initial resale value losses

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
From a lender's perspective...

If you get a direct loan (not at the dealership), the bank wants to fight for your business. (Especially if you go into a branch, they get sales points if you finance with them.)

At the dealership, the dealer can get a kickback from the bank if they can get you to take a loan with a higher rate. ie You may be approved for 6%, but if their finance guy can get you to take 8%, the dealership gets a quarter of the difference, that sort of thing.

Good luck! I'm horrible at haggling, so I feel your pain. ;)

I knew BoA was crooked, and all their employees :histerica...that is crazy tho about getting someone to take a higher %. Which is bullshizza too, that's rapery :doh0715:

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
cash..literally, when i bought my work truck ford wanted nearly 44k for it. 08 350 diesel, ext cab, lariat interior but work body. all black..its a damn nice work truck. after some haggling, that they didnt expect becuase im young, i got them down to a reasonable price and told them write it down, i'll be back in a few days after thinking it over, i called and said i needed a little more off and was prepared to pay in cold hard cash. bam 5more k off the bill. although i ended up gettin a regular truck then havin the bed swapped i still made out well. also random but a good point, sometimes it better to order. i hate that damn tailgate step on new fords, its also an 800 dollar option..marked up to 1200, and they had them on every truck in the lot.

that siad i also use the same dealer all the time, in 5 years my fam has bought 6 cars from/thru them.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Id suggest doing some research first.. Call your local dealers to see what they can do for you.. can be a pita, but if you know dealer1 is 25k, dealer2is 24k, you can go to dealer 3 saying im payin 20k or going elsewhere. If not, then you try one of the other dealers... I also bought my car(its an 04) in 06 with 4,322miles on it.... Stickered at 30k, i talked them down to 24k and got an extended 10year warranty for free(normally $2k)... Sometimes its about being a dick, and not letting these guys play off ya... just give em a little of this:smilie_slap

1 - 20 of 44 Posts