Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well Thursday was a sh!tty day. My rottweiler of 7 years died of an unknown type of cancer. So we think we didn't have the thousands of dollars required to do all the testing to figure out what it was. She was fine 3 weeks before she passed and steadily went down hill since. She rolled over on Thursday morning about 11 or so looked at us and went to sleep. She died 15 or so minutes later :cry

So after her passing I got caught up in playing video games on my xbox 360 I acquired on trade a few days earlier to try and not think about it. But she still had a lot of life left in her and the fact that in 3 weeks went down hill so fast we weren't ready for it. The vets said 2-6 months and they were surprised on how quickly she went down hill.

So now I am looking for a new dog to help fill the void she left behind. I know I am going to be hard pressed to find another rottweiler that was as calm and gentle as she was. But I am looking for another rottweiler about 1-2yrs old, female. But I think I want a bit of a mix in her and not a purebred. Only time will tell on that though.

But the biggest pita I've come across though is that all the shelters that have rotties want us to sign a contract that if they deem it necessary that they can take the dog back plus require us to pay an additional $500 "return" fee when they demand the dog. The other thing is what really irks me is that right in the contract it say the following

From Contract said:
You do not "own" the dog, you in fact are sponsoring the dog for his/her life. If at any time that we deem that the dog is in an unsafe living condition or for any other reason we will demand the dogs return to us plus and additional $500.00 recovery fee.
That is just [email protected] and can't believe that they can get away with it. I understand the occasional check in, hows the dog, etc but wow. That and they require weekly visits for the first 6 months then monthly until the first year then yearly. :whiteflag WTF is this [email protected]? They think I am going to torture the poor thing? I've delt with rotties in the past I know what they are capable off and with the right training they can be so gentle its surreal. When I got my rotty she was 5-6 months old just barely crate trained let alone house trained or anything else. I raised her so even a baby could be around her and she wouldn't snap, bite, harass or anything. So now I am trying to find one that doesn't have that stupid contract attached (which appears that 99% in my area does :banghead)

Now some photos of her.

and a slide show of all choppers photos

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well another angle to look at it is if by some chance the dog becomes viscious and bite the Mayor or something you dont own it! Th e dumbasses that gave you dog on loan is responsible!

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well another angle to look at it is if by some chance the dog becomes viscious and bite the Mayor or something you dont own it! Th e dumbasses that gave you dog on loan is responsible!
I should of posted the second contract agreement all on the same page

From Contract said:
While we retain ownership of said dog aforementioned in this agreement, we are not to be held responsible for any damage, or claims of damage that may or may not have been caused by direct cause of the said dog. The leaser/sponsor listed in this agreement shall take full legal responsibility of the dog while in their custody.
I hate that crap. They go on the premise that we are not held responsible for the dog or his/hers actions but for any reason we will demand the return of the dog.

@kf4amu - I would be then they would sue me or have me tried for giving out false information.

·
Biebs Ain't BabyDaddy!
11,159 Posts
That is some bullcrap. I would be pissed if I spent all the money and time caring for it, and they could still deem that it is in an unsafe environment and take it away, and charge you $500 at the same time. Oh, but you aren't exactly "leasing" it either because you are fully responsible for anything that happens to the dog. Yeah... nah. Either the dog is mine or it isn't. None of this sunshine patriot, "we stand everything to gain while you stand everything to lose" crap. I'd try to find another breeder who isn't such a Nazi. If that doesn't work out, it looks like you are a responsible dog owner, and I don't foresee them deeming it in an unsafe environment while in your care... your choice.

You could always look for a German Shepherd, too. They are loyal, intelligent and protective just like rotties, only they don't have the history of abuse and pit fighting like the rotties do, so I've never seen a kennel be so anal about checking up on Shepherds after you purchase them.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
My condolances on the untimely loss of your child. Just by looking at your photos I see she was a gentle soul.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is some bullcrap. I would be pissed if I spent all the money and time caring for it, and they could still deem that it is in an unsafe environment and take it away, and charge you $500 at the same time. Oh, but you aren't exactly "leasing" it either because you are fully responsible for anything that happens to the dog. Yeah... nah. Either the dog is mine or it isn't. None of this sunshine patriot, "we stand everything to gain while you stand everything to lose" crap. I'd try to find another breeder who isn't such a Nazi. If that doesn't work out, it looks like you are a responsible dog owner, and I don't foresee them deeming it in an unsafe environment while in your care... your choice.

You could always look for a German Shepherd, too. They are loyal, intelligent and protective just like rotties, only they don't have the history of abuse and pit fighting like the rotties do, so I've never seen a kennel be so anal about checking up on Shepherds after you purchase them.
True that, It isn't just one place its is most if not all, and it is sh!tty. I am looking for a independent person that does it or a place that doesn't have all these crappy contracts. I've thought about getting a German Shepard but I am undecided at this time on that.

@Handy_andy_cv64; thanks she was a big baby inside, but put on a hell of a show for anyone she didn't know, she wouldn't bite but she did bark and that always made people turn tail and run.

I still remember the day we got her, Her original owners were taking her to be put down, but decided to see if we wanted her before he did that. So we took her in and fell in love with her that day.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
eh I look at it this way, if they want to they could. They can hire a PI to skiptrace or really dig online to try and find me. With false information including a name, but if they have security cameras than forget it. If I go that route it will be legal or find a loophole to get the contract null/voided so I keep the dog. But those places are going to be a last resort option. I am going to call the guy I got Chopper from and see if he has any dogs he wants to sell since he was a small time breeder.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well after some hunting with the limited resources I have the guy that I got Chopper from has fallen off the map so to speak. I can't find him and his last phone number was disconnected. So back to square one again, and craigslist has a very limited selection of dogs in a 200 mile radius.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
You'd be better off looking at the county pound or something similar.

We've adopted all of our animals and we came across some of the nazis you've described and I told them all to shove it. You'll eventually find a decent shelter that doesn't impose rules on you. The shelter we work with only asks that if you can no longer take care of the animal, to bring it back to the shelter.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Me and the lady went through this. Adoptions shelters are crazy. We went through hours of applications and bull shit to have the lady tell us she couldn't do anything for us because we were on the other side of the state. Every shelter we went through has crazy rules like that. Start looking through local town and village shelters. They are always happy to help. Also Craigslist is a good thing to look through. We got out Bernadane (St. Bernard/Great Dane cross) off from Craigslist and its the best dog I've ever had in my life. The lady we got him from was out there, she said that he had serious issues with new people and new dogs. It took a weekend of work and the dog is great. Good luck man, and sorry for your loss. Your find something!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts