Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The vibration is back. It just started out of nowhere while driving on the freeway - anything above 60 mph is noticeable. With beads in the tires (that have been working perfectly since December), I’m assuming it’s in the driveline - almost one year after rebuilding my driveshaft. I greased everything up well when I did it. I’ll try some more grease on the ujoints, but I figure if something is failing, it’s too late.

I hate vibrations.

·
Registered
1994 Bronco 5.0
9 Posts
I’m fairly new here. But any chance there is a lift on your truck? I recently lifted the rear of my 94 with HD leaf springs and had to have shims installed to keep the driveline at an acceptable angle with the diff. Just what happened to me, idk if that will help you.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,798 Posts
i just heard something the other day about the rear drums needing to be balanced. if you look at your rear drums and there is no visible weight on the outside i would wager that is part of the problem. I know i replaced my drums not to long ago and after hearing this info i need to check to see if the new ones have this because i am also dealing with a vibration.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i just heard something the other day about the rear drums needing to be balanced. if you look at your rear drums and there is no visible weight on the outside i would wager that is part of the problem. I know i replaced my drums not to long ago and after hearing this info i need to check to see if the new ones have this because i am also dealing with a vibration.
Thanks - I actually have a rear disc conversion though. I do have a slight bit of front rotor warpage (I think) since I can feel a slight pulsation when I come to a stop. But this is something that happened at once I think. I was on the freeway at 75 mph no problems, exited and made a stop, then got back on the freeway and I had a vibration above 60-65 mph. I think something specific changed all of a sudden.

My first inclination is to check the driveshaft, since I have balance beads in the tires. I doubt the beads would all decide to clump together randomly! Lol

·
Super Moderator
14,745 Posts
is the vibration in the seat or the steering wheel..if memory serves me correctly, anything in the seat is going to be driveline..

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It was pretty consistent up to 75 or so. I was on an errand, so I’ll have to take it back out and experiment a little to zero in on exact numbers like that. It was just strange that it was fine on the freeway up to 75-80, I got off and drove a few surface streets stop and go, and then when I got back on the freeway it was there once I got to 60-75.

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
404 Posts
Well when you say it like that it makes me think something is loose? Lug nuts? Tie rod? Shock/strut? Cab bolt? Broken mount...someone already mentioned wheel weight but what about driveshaft weights?

·
Registered
95 Bronco, 351W, E4OD, 4.56 gears, 35x12.50x15 Patagonia MTs.
242 Posts
Beads didn't work for me in the past. Have you checked the tires for roundness? One of mine has had a flat spot since new, causing my vibration. Even with a good balancing, my wheels still wobble due to the low spot in the circumfrence...

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Beads didn't work for me. Have you checked the tires for roundness? One of mine has had a flat spot since new, causing my vibration.
My beads have been working fine since I got these new tires in December. I doubt these tires are out of round after maybe 1000 miles or so. I’ll take a closer look soon.

·
Registered
338 Posts
I have a similar vibration I have been chasing for well over a year.....not sure what it is. Last idea I have left is a new set of tires.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update: I inspected the driveshaft earlier. I chocked the rear wheels and put it in neutral to remove the driveline stress and tried shaking the driveshaft, front and rear. There was a slight click at the double cardan joint but just barely. The rear was solid. So I took it for a drive to go pick up some dog food. I went the “long way” so I could get on the freeway for about 2 miles. I slowly got it up to about 80 mph to try and isolate the speed range of the vibration - no dice. It was smooth as silk, like it never happened. After the store, I got back on and got it up to about 85 mph and nothing - all smooth, not even a small vibration. Tires were singing smooth with no warbling.

No idea, maybe there was a decent size rock stuck in the tread for a while that finally kicked out? Anyway, all is good. Thanks for the input everyone.

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,798 Posts
a rock wouldnt do that. with that said perhaps your Driveshaft was froze up?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts