Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Update: I inspected the driveshaft earlier. I chocked the rear wheels and put it in neutral to remove the driveline stress and tried shaking the driveshaft, front and rear. There was a slight click at the double cardan joint but just barely. The rear was solid. So I took it for a drive to go pick up some dog food. I went the “long way” so I could get on the freeway for about 2 miles. I slowly got it up to about 80 mph to try and isolate the speed range of the vibration - no dice. It was smooth as silk, like it never happened. After the store, I got back on and got it up to about 85 mph and nothing - all smooth, not even a small vibration. Tires were singing smooth with no warbling.

No idea, maybe there was a decent size rock stuck in the tread for a while that finally kicked out? Anyway, all is good. Thanks for the input everyone.
Make sure that the driveshaft still has it's balance weights welded on. If you eventually get a ticking vibration on decel, it's a bad joint. Had that problem but didn't notice much play at all. Then I took my driveshaft apart and found some of the u-joint caps full of rust and missing needle bearings.

Sent from my Hush-98 comlink

·
The Tennessee Warden
96 XL, 5.8L, E4OD, BW1356, 4.56 gears
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Make sure that the driveshaft still has it's balance weights welded on. If you eventually get a ticking vibration on decel, it's a bad joint. Had that problem but didn't notice much play at all. Then I took my driveshaft apart and found some of the u-joint caps full of rust and missing needle bearings.

Thanks bud - I did check the weights. They’re all there. We’ll see how things go in the future - for now all is good it seems.

·
Ford Hoarder
78 & 92
6,715 Posts
When you had it happen, did you pick up something, or for example go from an empty tank to a full tank???
Knowing you have deavers, may change things when its loaded a bit. My 78 every once in awhile would do this, until I put the antiwrap bar on it.
I could also see engine/trans mounts doing this too, though I dont think those would go away.

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I totally want do this... How hard was it to do?
It doesn’t seem too hard - it was done before I bought it though.

When you had it happen, did you pick up something, or for example go from an empty tank to a full tank???
Knowing you have deavers, may change things when its loaded a bit. My 78 every once in awhile would do this, until I put the antiwrap bar on it.
I could also see engine/trans mounts doing this too, though I dont think those would go away.
I was thinking about this. When I went out that day, I stopped at Costco and filled up. Then I drove about 30 minutes and picked up my new-to-me bench drill press - maybe weighs 40 lb or so. Drove 15 mins on the freeway with no issues to pick up a paycheck. Got back on the freeway to head home and THIS is when the vibration started at speeds above 60-65. It was very noticeable. I actually stopped on the side of the freeway to let the balance beads fall back down in case they were having trouble spreading around. I started back up and it was still there around 65-70.
I was pretty pissed at the time. So a few days pass and I go out and crawl under to inspect the driveshaft. There was nothing obviously wrong. I checked the weights, tried to shake the ujoints - back was solid and front DC joint I was barely able to move, and there was a slight “click” but I was using all my strength to move it and it seemed strong. Then I went for a drive on the freeway - got up to 80 and nothing. Got back on and got up to 85 and nothing.

I dunno. I’ll be monitoring this each time I go out for the next few times, but it seems to have gone away.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It doesn’t seem too hard - it was done before I bought it though.

I was thinking about this. When I went out that day, I stopped at Costco and filled up. Then I drove about 30 minutes and picked up my new-to-me bench drill press - maybe weighs 40 lb or so. Drove 15 mins on the freeway with no issues to pick up a paycheck. Got back on the freeway to head home and THIS is when the vibration started at speeds above 60-65. It was very noticeable. I actually stopped on the side of the freeway to let the balance beads fall back down in case they were having trouble spreading around. I started back up and it was still there around 65-70.
I was pretty pissed at the time. So a few days pass and I go out and crawl under to inspect the driveshaft. There was nothing obviously wrong. I checked the weights, tried to shake the ujoints - back was solid and front DC joint I was barely able to move, and there was a slight “click” but I was using all my strength to move it and it seemed strong. Then I went for a drive on the freeway - got up to 80 and nothing. Got back on and got up to 85 and nothing.

I dunno. I’ll be monitoring this each time I go out for the next few times, but it seems to have gone away.
I'd pull the driveshaft out completely, as a drive-line problem may not be apparent until you remove all the other forces that are still acting upon it while installed. If you actuate the joint and it feels wonky, disassemble and inspect it. That shaft should have no play. There's a center ball joint in the middle of the double cardan joint that can also go bad, not just the u-joints. I didn't realize how much play my shaft had until I pulled it. Hmm...

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I'd pull the driveshaft out completely, as a drive-line problem may not be apparent until you remove all the other forces that are still acting upon it while installed. If you actuate the joint and it feels wonky, disassemble and inspect it. That shaft should have no play. There's a center ball joint in the middle of the double cardan joint that can also go bad, not just the u-joints. I didn't realize how much play my shaft had until I pulled it. Hmm...

I agree that a problem may not be obvious until the dshaft comes out, but at this point, I’ve driven it maybe 5 or 6 times with zero vibrations so I think it may have been a fluke, maybe something funky with the beads or something?

And I know of the cv ball - I rebuilt the whole thing last summer.

The bad one:

All new cv ball and spicers all around:

·
Registered
‘90 EB Full Custom build -Mega Truck Bogger
417 Posts
Update: I inspected the driveshaft earlier. I chocked the rear wheels and put it in neutral to remove the driveline stress and tried shaking the driveshaft, front and rear. There was a slight click at the double cardan joint but just barely. The rear was solid. So I took it for a drive to go pick up some dog food. I went the “long way” so I could get on the freeway for about 2 miles. I slowly got it up to about 80 mph to try and isolate the speed range of the vibration - no dice. It was smooth as silk, like it never happened. After the store, I got back on and got it up to about 85 mph and nothing - all smooth, not even a small vibration. Tires were singing smooth with no warbling.

No idea, maybe there was a decent size rock stuck in the tread for a while that finally kicked out? Anyway, all is good. Thanks for the input everyone.
Hmmmmm very suspicious me thinks lol glad it’s running well for you👍🏻 Hope it was nothing.....when did you last rotate your tires? Was it recently? Could tread be wearing evenly now?

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Hmmmmm very suspicious me thinks lol glad it’s running well for you👍🏻 Hope it was nothing.....when did you last rotate your tires? Was it recently? Could tread be wearing evenly now?
These are new tires I bought back in December. They have less than 1000 miles on them. I doubt it’s wearing poorly or lack of rotation that caused that. It hasn’t come back yet - so I’m not going to keep searching for a problem that may or may not be there. If it comes back, I’ll address it, if not, well...then I won’t lol.

·
Registered
493 Posts
These are new tires I bought back in December. They have less than 1000 miles on them. I doubt it’s wearing poorly or lack of rotation that caused that. It hasn’t come back yet - so I’m not going to keep searching for a problem that may or may not be there. If it comes back, I’ll address it, if not, well...then I won’t lol.
5 years later when something else actually breaks...

MS88Bronc: "Found it!"

·
The Tennessee Warden
3,302 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
5 years later when something else actually breaks...

MS88Bronc: "Found it!"

Right??

No seriously, I’ve spent way too much time and money chasing gremlins that may or may not even be there. If it’s broke I’ll fix it - if it’s not, I’m not gonna look and look until I find something to try to see if THAT fixes it.

No symptoms - no problem

That’s my take on it anyway. Lol

21 - 39 of 39 Posts