Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GO TO LAST THREAD!!! ok first of 1988 EB 302HO AOD. this EFI is makin me mad!!! i have a continous lean bank1, bad or semi-bad O2 sensor, and i just replaced the TFI twice; now my timming is bouncing about a 1/2 of a degree. thats just electronic stuff. now the thermostat isnt comming on till the temp hits H then it works fine, broken EGR/smog pump tube, bad smog pump. help me get this stuff prioritized so i can get this thing fixed before more bad things happen. i know that the thermostat going is probrobly causing the TFI module to go. so thats gunna b fixed tommmorrow. but from there, How much trouble is that EGR/smog pump line going to be for me. and only recently in 4x4 when shifted into gear the engine seems like its "tripping over itself" and almost stalls.

extra info, timing:16-17BTDC, 3G alt, electric fan with independant module,

·
Registered
453 Posts
got full coverage? ha i really dont know but i can symphathise with u. that sucks man good luck

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
your timing will move all over the place if the spout connector is plugged in.

as for the lean bank, could be the O2 sensor, exhaust leak before the sensor or a intake leak.

as for the tstat is sounds like your looking @ the stock POS guage. This could be a bad sender, loose wire, or the guage is dead.

check all your grounds, including your battery cables.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
well i just replced the TFI module earlier today and i did it in the dark and i might have forgot to take off the spout, makes sense before it was rock solid. the exhuast leak is the tube behind the first cat but its broken up behind the engine. heres another problemm i forgot, sometimes the alternator doesnt voltage up all the way just to around 12volts but its still working, voltage restores to the 12volts and all when i turn stuff on. both the 3G and the old 2G did this so im guessing wutever is in the computer that doing this

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well once again this sucks!!! my truck died and wont start AGAIN. this crap seems to happen when i let it idle for anytime more than 3min, when i put it in gear it just dies and wont start unless i replace the TFI.

·
Banned
495 Posts
i though it was supposed to be easier to trouble shoot them electric injection engines then the carbs? cant u just plug in a computer and itll tell you what is wrong>?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
not with fords EEC-IV system, it takes forever till the computer even realizes whats wrong, like my exhuast leak after my truck is driven about 30miles it will give me a code about the EGR valve and lean bank. Fortunately i have a carbureted 302 layin in my yard with all the accessories that all i need is gaskets and a new fuel system and i can swap it in a day. I do believe that my computer has something f'd up with it or even the PCM

·
Banned
495 Posts
ya you think the computer if its anything like w windows computer will be crashing all the time.

Ray

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ya i hate windows too, unfortunately it just snowed about 6inches last night and now its raining so i cant really get to the JY to grab a PCM and ECM for 20 bucks

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya i know my junk yard is really cheap if you can find a supercharger its only 50 bucks, turbos are 25. anyway i think ill throw in a 351 computer since my engine has that firing order 302HO, unlike was the current ECM tells me thats in there 302 with the 1-5-2 order

EDIT: it started for me, im realizing that before all of this the engine idle sounded nice and calm like it should. now it sounds like a 60's mustang or sumthing.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
your timing will move all over the place if the spout connector is plugged in.

as for the lean bank, could be the O2 sensor, exhaust leak before the sensor or a intake leak.

as for the tstat is sounds like your looking @ the stock POS guage. This could be a bad sender, loose wire, or the guage is dead.

check all your grounds, including your battery cables.

have you even looked into any of this other than throwing another TFI at the thing?

A carb on it is not the answer. :twak

btw, you should check the pickup in the dizzy. I bet there is something wrong in leading you to think the TFI's are dead all the fricken time.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
no i know its not the TFI now!!!! i have to find the new problem that is giving it this stalling and messed up engine conditions, im gunna check out the EEC relay tom and see if that went again.

·
Premium Member
23,549 Posts
you said you have a charging problem? is it actually over charging? I guess there is the possibility of frying parts from over charging.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
its not over chargin it just doesnt go up to the 15 volts it usually does it just stays at 12, but the alt is working. i have discovered today that the engine is running just rich enough to idle but once load is on it(in drive or reverse) it stumbles on itself and stalls. about 10 minutes later i can start it with that lovely gassy smell.ive looked threw alldata and added a ground to the body incase there was an issue with that.from there i idled it while unhooking relays and such hoping that i can find the one not working, no luck.

·
trying to go fast!!
1,082 Posts
man that sucks i know how you feel tho! good luck!

·
Registered
121 Posts
well i just replced the TFI module earlier today and i did it in the dark and i might have forgot to take off the spout, makes sense before it was rock solid. the exhuast leak is the tube behind the first cat but its broken up behind the engine. heres another problemm i forgot, sometimes the alternator doesnt voltage up all the way just to around 12volts but its still working, voltage restores to the 12volts and all when i turn stuff on. both the 3G and the old 2G did this so im guessing wutever is in the computer that doing this
That's not good. Check your ground cables, battery cables and connections.
When I did my 3G swap all the cables, ends and connections were replaced.
stock cables were upgraded to 2G welding cables with copper ends soldered
on. Where ground cables were attached frame was sanded clean. HD ground straps installed between engine and frame.
Die electric grease all connections also.
It charges at 14.5 at first doesn't drop any lower that 14V no matter what I have on.
Dave

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
little update so far on a systems check. my fuel pump relay, and both fuel pumps are operating normal and at the proper pressures. i pulled spark plugs, they have some soot on them but it comes right off by touchin it. then i started it with a plug out, plenty of compression and powerful spark, but i didnt notice any fuel smell?? im considering checking the injectors next. could a intake gasket be doing this??? i have little to no torque within the first 10 minutes of driving.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i just replced the TFI module earlier today and i did it in the dark and i might have forgot to take off the spout, makes sense before it was rock solid.
let this be a lesson!! always remember to take off that darn SPOUT connector. i spend about 5 hrs going through relays and alldata when in the end i checked my timing(the right way) and found it was running 5*BTDC, reset to 20*BTDC(5.0HO settings) and now its running like its supposed to.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts