Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had the most unbelievable day! Woke up about the time I should have been leaving this morning. So I got an extra hour sleep. Then I hit zero road construction which made it so I could enjoy my coffee and a biscuit in the duck blind before legal shooting time. Sunrise was at 6:58 this morning and around that time, I had one big ole black that I'm pretty sure made the dog who was peeing near the bank. Duck never even hit the brakes and was gone before I could raise my gun. Then about 30 minutes later I had ducks come in and land. I could tell by the coloring I was looking at two pair, but with my eye sight, I couldn't tell what kind of ducks they were. I gave out a holler to get them up. Only two took the hint. I hit the 1st one and he dropped like a rock to water, belly up. I lined my sight on the 2nd one, fired once and she dropped, belly up. I quickly shoved in another shell as the other two took flight. I missed both shots and the gun was empty. By this time, Faewen sounds and looks like a crack addict wiggling around and shaking for her 1st real retrieve of the season. I called her and she bolted out to the 1st duck. In case anyone hasn't been around duck dogs, what she did was textbook. Last year she broke early on every retrieve. This whole summer was teaching her to wait until she is called to make the retrieve. It's a safety thing so you don't have a dog in the water when people are shooting. As she gets nearly to the 1st duck, the 2nd duck rolled over and took flight! I jammed a shell in the reciever, but was too late. When Faewen returned with the duck I realized what it was. I had shot my very 1st wood duck! 10 years ducking and I finally got one. I dropped him off at a taxidermist, but won't get him back for about a year. Here's a pic of the woody.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I've seen wild wood ducks at a local pond but never while I was sitting in a blind. They are my favorite duck. Nice score.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Awesome morning....our season doesn't,t open for a couple of weeks yet but hopefully turns out as good as yours

·
Eric
2,623 Posts
Nice! Did you decide what position to have the mounted duck in? I'm going out, here, in the next couple weeks. First hunting trip in the BKO. Should be good.

Eric

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm doing a wall mount for sure. Thinking about doing in flight position, just so I can see the beautiful wings spread out.
As far as hunting in the bko, I kinda wish I had something else. I've never had the opportunity to use my winch for self recovery. I've used it for a ton of other crap. It works great as a dog tie out for my buddy's big ass dog. It works great for pulling out a downed tree. But, I have no idea how well it works to get myself unstuck. I guess that's not a bad thing. If I had got a chebby, I could've used the winch a lot more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts