Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok,. I just picked up the bronco sunday. I only drove it for a day and it was a bit sloppy/loose/pulling to the left. I have to get an inspection sticker within 7 days so i figure why not check the alignment and see if there is anything wrong so i dont get a rejection sticker. They are replacing the drag link and installing a camber kit on the passenger side. I noticed the wheel tipping in at the top. The other owner put the lift in but only one camber kit on the drivers side. Is this a normal price for the work performed? I don't have many options as shops that will actually work on lifted trucks with larger than stock tires are RARE around here.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
hell no that aint normal. I would have asked what else they were going to do for that. ball joints, tir rods what?

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Ask them for a break-down of the bill. Thats a little high..

·
a renegade of funk
3,241 Posts
figure 60 bucks an hour for labor
and getting those cam kits in and aligned correctly can be a bitch. plus fighting with a prlly rusted ass drag link will rack up some time
id say your right in the market of what it should cost.
remember a alignment cost about 60-70 bucks so add that on as well

·
Registered
605 Posts
Factoring in labor costs you probably got a decent deal if you got a new steering box, tie rods, drag link, ball joints, rotors, calipers, wheel bearings, lockout hubs PLUS an allignment.

·
Super Moderator
4,971 Posts
It does depend on what's being done. When I first got my Bronco, I took it in for an alignment and got a $2000 bill. However, it was a very accurate breakdown, and yes, it cost that much.

I ended up doing all the work myself and it still cost near to a grand before I could get it aligned. Included all tie rods, ball joints, wheel bearings, shocks, and every other suspension bushing you could think of plus other stuff that I can't remember. ($300 of it was for the drive shafts, which they did say weren't necessary to an alignment, but needed to be rebuilt. Think rust powder blowing out when they were compressed.) Everything on it was so old that the oilshocks would compress under their own weight and still had FORD stamped on them. :)

So, a $550 bill to have done before you get an alignment isn't out of the question. Of course, keep in mind that my truck is 15 years older than yours. And I definitely second getting a full breakdown of the work done and the shop time for each to be sure. Then see if you can do it yourself.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
Ask them if that comes with lube.;) Because your gonna need.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Yea but everything is expensive as hell up in the northeast.

Cost of living is insane.

·
green ones make me horny
11,135 Posts
Yea but everything is expensive as hell up in the northeast.

Cost of living is insane.
That is where Ian is from so it should be dead on there

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
You got that right.
The south is were it is at...the ONLY thing more expensive here then in Jersey is gas.

My car insurance has been cut in half, stnd rate for an oil change and tire rotation here is 30-35.

Jersey was $65 when I was home in august.

Fawk that.

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
South doesn't look so bad now does it.

·
Registered
243 Posts
A carton of Marlboro reds is 50.91 after tax at my store.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Being in boston does cost big money. This is one of the only shops that will work on lifted trucks. He charged me $273 for the drag link, $41 for the camber kit and $308 Labor. It was supposed to only be half of the drag link but he did the whole thing. It sucks because I pay wholesale everywhere else but this guy wouldnt even give a cash discount! Oh well its over and down with. How much should a drag link cost at a parts store?

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
Parts america lists the HD one @ 106, regular @ 60, both lifetime warranty.

You got screwed on that my friend, takes all of what, 10-15 mins to swap?

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
the drag link is like 100 bucks at the auto parts store and would take about 20 min to replace. camber bushings are about 10 a piece, i know, i've bought about 20. and even the worst rusted in camber bushings can be removed quickly with a good air hammer. and if they were so bad to remove there is no way the ball joints can still be good. i'd be pissed. several alignment shops around me, and i live in the north east, will do complete alignments on ttb trucks for like 60 bucks. i've had it done.

·
Enjoy my
6,054 Posts
the drag link is like 100 bucks at the auto parts store and would take about 20 min to replace. camber bushings are about 10 a piece, i know, i've bought about 20. and even the worst rusted in camber bushings can be removed quickly with a good air hammer. and if they were so bad to remove there is no way the ball joints can still be good. i'd be pissed. several alignment shops around me, and i live in the north east, will do complete alignments on ttb trucks for like 60 bucks. i've had it done.
Tell them to set up shop down here....

My roomate is taking his in for alignment @ Firestone saturday morning.

We can't wait to hear what stuff 'needs' to be replaced in order for them to align the truck...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts