Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if this is a repost, search didn't bring anything up...

Just finished reading this webpage about some local kids that hit the snow and got stranded when the storm hit! They ended up getting airlifted out after not being heard form for like 48hrs.

Here's their story: http://wentworthsprings.org

Also a thread on pirates one of thier mothers started where they actually tried to go recue them but the snow was too deep for 42" locked tires! http://pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=645295

Just an interesting story, no pointing fingers, everyone is OK now. Made me think about carrying sleeping bags for all of my passengers now too though. :paper:

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
Wow, that's a great story. I'm really glad everything turned out like it did, because it could have been MUCH worse. Several people over on that Pirate thread mentioned it, but I've been harping on it for years so I'll pile on. All wheelers should get their ham licenses.There are damn few places in the US where you can't contact someone with a ham radio.

That said, even if you're too damn lazy to get your ham license, it would still be very much in your best interest to get a ham radio for your trail rig. I am NOT advocating talking on the ham radio bands without a license under normal conditions, but in an emergency it is perfectly legal for anybody to use any radio regardless of license. It's one of those things that can REALLY save your ass when everything turns bad. You may not put yourself in a situation where you'll be stranded in huge snow like that, but everyone of us can imagine a situation where someone is hurt on the trail and a medivac is needed. I don't know about most of you guys, but virtually every place I wheel has zero cell phone coverage. Something to think about.

Actually, get a ham rig and a copy of the ARRL repeater directory, then you're set.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Yeah I think Alfred and Lisa made an attempt on getting out there they had posted over on pirate.

·
House of Windsor 4ever!
10,518 Posts
Anytime you go in the snow, you have to be prepared for anything. That's why I haven't done any wheeling this season, as I don't have any foul weather clothing or sheltering equipment.

·
Not a dude
1,547 Posts

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
lesson here: if you know a storm is coming, get the hell out.

why they waited so long to leave, i guess they assumed they could get out before it got really bad? it's nice that everyone got out safely on the chopper and everything, but it seems like they put many people at risk unnecessarily.

·
Some assembly required!
5,402 Posts
I can appreciate what you're saying there Jackhart, but I think that this is one of those situations where it's easy to be the arm chair quarterback. I got the impression that they had been going up to this place their whole lives and presumed that they were familiar enough with the weather to know when to get out. I'm not saying that I entirely disagree with you, but I do think that it's an easy mistake to make. Thank god they didn't have to stay in their rigs.

·
search, you #$%@! noob
9,995 Posts
yes, i hear what you are saying also, it's easy to sit here and say "they should have done this blah blah blah". i am not familiar enough with that area to know whether that kind of snowfall was highly unusual, or exactly how much snow was forecast, etc. seems like one guy with them got out when he should have though, and maybe they should have gone with him. they just decided to stay one day too long? i dunno. i guess my point was simply to err on the side of caution in the future.

·
Registered
118 Posts
great story!! man that was some deep snow.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts