Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We're bailing out of Hell-A for a month starting next Tuesday and gonna see some friends here and there, and also play tourist along the way. Basically it's L. A. to Wisconsin, then south to New Orleans, and then back west to the house. Looking for tips/info/ideas/cool things to go see that maybe aren't found on the usual road atlas's or tour books-----like little hidden treasures that perhaps only the locals are aware of. Here's kinda what we mapped out last night real quick just to get us started-----but we're open for suggestions.....:toothless

L.A.---> Las Vegas---> Grand Canyon thingy---> Moab---> Dinosaur Monument Park thingy---> Jellystone Park thingy---> Mount Rushmore thingy---> Florence, S. Dakota---> Minneapolis---> Whitewater, Wisconsin---> Chicago---> St. Louis---> Memphis---> Jackson, Mississippi---> Gnu Orlynns---> Houston---> Austin---> San Antonio---> El Paso---> Las Cruces, Gnu Mexico---> Albuquerque---> Petrified Forest thingy---> Tuscon---> Yuma---> Hell-A.

Anyone seen a big ball of string laying around?........

·
Honeynut Cheerios Urine
9,845 Posts
Anyone seen a big ball of string laying around?........
Don't laugh..Kansas has it all :goodfinge

World's largest ball of twine

The Garden of Eden in Lucas KS is pretty cool too if you're out this direction.

Garden Of Eden

If you go there and see a tshirt with a picture of a flower sculpture buy it and support my business ;):thumbup

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
The worlds largest badger is somewhere in Wisconsin, I've driven past a sign....

If you drive through Colorado get off the interstate and just drive through the mountains.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey ricky, if not in a hurry through utah there is a bunch of state parks. bryce canyon, capitol reef to name a few. If you want some great scenery go from cedar city to moab the back roads. If it was me i would go through cedar breaks to bryce canyon up to esclante to torry go down through capitol reef to hankville, take a left at hanksville go out to I-70 then to moab.
http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Cedar+City&1s=UT&1y=US&1l=37.677502&1g=-113.061096&1v=CITY&2c=Moab&2s=UT&2y=US&2l=38.573299&2g=-109.549202&2v=CITY#initPgSt

·
aka: kemicalburns
7,824 Posts
take hwy 101 north thru cali/oregon and then hit hwy 84 east thru idaho and yellowstone etc..

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
When you get to Jackson MS, you gotta check out the gator farms and go for a swamp boat ride through gator-infested water.
And if you pass by Amarillo, TX, stop by the Big Texan and eat a 76 oz steak, 1 lb potato, and bigass salad in under an hour.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Just a quick update---------after leaving Hell-A last Tuesday in some fugly rain. Went thru Malibu, Ventura, then Vegas. Afterwards we did Utah, a bit of northern Arizona, some Idaho and then Wyoming. We're now up in Billings, Montana, getting ready for a bbq with some friends. So far no issues with the Daughter's '90 EB---and we've been averaging over 15 mpgs so far over 1400 miles. Not too bad for an olde gal. Have seen some absolutely gorgeous country and met a metric-shit ton of great, friendly people. Will post some pics (have already taken a thousand of 'em) when I get some time to reduce their size.

Hope y'all are doing fine without us........:toothless

Yak later,

Team Ricky B & Family

·
Howdy howdy howdy!
5,515 Posts
I'm jealous of you man. I hated driving through Wyoming, the most boring, desolate, desert, straight, abandoned highway you will ever find. I remember my diesel was giving me running issues going through that state, I kept praying to God she didn't let me down on that stretch of road.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Let me know if you come through Colorado, I'll take through some of the most amazing mountain scenery CO has to offer.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
. I hated driving through Wyoming, the most boring, desolate, desert, straight, abandoned highway you will ever find. I remember my diesel was giving me running issues going through that state, I kept praying to God she didn't let me down on that stretch of road.
The best time to drive across Wyoming on I-80 is at night during a full moon.

Ricky....enjoy your drive. Appears you're going through SD....if so, visit the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Wall Drug and the Corn Palace in Mitchell.

·
Registered
513 Posts
If your coming from Memphis to Jxn Ms. you need to spend one night at the Shack Up Inn (www) Clarksdale MS. you might be able to get a room during the week. The blues is in this area!! take the blues tour. When you get to Jxn, put your gun on your hip. if you dont have a gun when you get to the city limits...they will issue you one. Nothing to see in Jxn, just thugs and wannabes. Its a target rich enviroment.

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In case any of you here give a rat's a$$, I'll give y'all a little update. Right now we're in Erin, Tennessee and on the way to Nashville, after clocking over 3800 miles since leaving Hell-A two weeks ago. We've had nothing but fun and have seen some of the coolest stuff and met some of the nicest people on the planet. The Daughter's '90 Bronco has performed flawlessly, and even though it's packed to the fricken gills and loaded with 3 adults, we've managed to still average 15 mpgs. Not too bad for a $900 truck.

We've been thru Vegas, Utah (Zion Park btw is gooooooorgeous), lower Idaho, Tetons & Yellowstone & Cody, Wyoming, up towards Billings, Montana with a stop at the Little Bighorn Battlefield (which is very cool to see), down to Mt. Rushmore, across to the Corn Palace, The Little House on the Prairie site and Florence (S/Dakota), where we found my great-grandmother's house in less than 3 minutes and then across Minnesota to Austin, where the Spam Museum is. Then onwards thru Wisconsin to our son's house in Whitewater, where we grabbed him and his girlfriend and took them to my wife's cousin house on Lake Apple, Illinois for a decadent weekend of phukawffery. Absolutely beautiful country. Two nights later we hit St. Louis and checked things out, then left yesterday morning driving thru---->Missouri, Illinois, Kentuckey and the bitchin road that goes thru The Land Between The Lakes that ends in Tennessee. Just absolutely unreal scenery along that road. After Nashville we're gonna do the Natchez Trace down towards Orleans. Will letcha know how that works out.......:toothless

(here's some clickable pics if anyone is curious)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts