Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok need some help again....forgive me for my need for validation Mels ;)
The Bronco is makin a cryin baby noise (and yes i searched first) sometimes when i start it and sometimes when my rpms get up. Now I checked my S belt and it looks great. But I did notice that there is some antifreeze on top of my engine where the thermostat is. I am wondering if the cryin noise could be the idler pulley getting wet? Apparently its time to change the factory thermostat but should I change the idler pulley too????? Thanks in advance for your help. :doh0715:
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,029 Posts
when it makes that noise again, get about 2-3' of garden hose. Put one end to your ear and the other end near all your pullys and bearings until you locate the culprit.
 

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
Joined
·
11,916 Posts
Don't search for "cryin' baby noise" search for something more logical like squeeling. ;) Girl terms don't work in the search engine.

waltman said:
when it makes that noise again, get about 2-3' of garden hose. Put one end to your ear and the other end near all your pullys and bearings until you locate the culprit.
Yeah, or you can use a long socket extension or a really long screwdriver for the same thing to help pinpoint the noise.

Is it doing it all the time? Maybe the antifreeze is getting on the belt and getting it wet, that'll cause mine to squeel until it dries and it drives me nuts.
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,029 Posts
Babe, you got a link to more pics of your avitar? I really like it. I'm hoping it comes with articles for me to read if you can hook me up.
 

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
Joined
·
11,916 Posts
waltman said:
Babe, you got a link to more pics of your avitar? I really like it. I'm hoping it comes with articles for me to read if you can hook me up.
PM Sent, didn't wanna hijack chicka's thread. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
566 Posts
NMBroncoGirl said:
Ok need some help again....forgive me for my need for validation Mels ;)
The Bronco is makin a cryin baby noise (and yes i searched first) sometimes when i start it and sometimes when my rpms get up. Now I checked my S belt and it looks great. But I did notice that there is some antifreeze on top of my engine where the thermostat is. I am wondering if the cryin noise could be the idler pulley getting wet? Apparently its time to change the factory thermostat but should I change the idler pulley too????? Thanks in advance for your help. :doh0715:
Easy,
looks like the thermostat will need to be replaced forsure, and the squeeling noise is most likely from one of 2 things that it would most likely be. #1 the idler pulley as ya said, listend to it while the engine is running, or you can take the belt off and spin that one by hand and still listend to the bearing to make noise.

If still haven't found the noise then its could be the waterpump. They like to make nosie when starting to go bad.

Also BroncoBabe I'd like to see more pics too.
:beer hope ya figure the noise out!
 

·
The Anti Yam!
Joined
·
22,680 Posts
Souds like the belt is getting wet. Fix the leak first then see if it goes away.
Are you sure the belt is not glazed on either side?
Does the belt seem fairly tight, ie, is the tensioner keeping it tight?

BroncoBabe said:
PM Sent, didn't wanna hijack chicka's thread. ;)
Me too :toothless
 

·
Sway Is My Fan Club.
Joined
·
11,916 Posts
Oh geez...maybe I'll just start a new thread about it. Didn't think anybody had noticed it. It's just a hot girl straddlin' a V8 in a race car, nothing special. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,330 Posts
yea nothing special huh.

but like they said, i would fix the leak first and then go from there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank ya

Hey there...it is prolly the antifreeze getting the idler wet. I will try the thermo first. Thanks. So where is this hot girl in the race car????:popc1:
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,029 Posts
NMBroncoGirl said:
Hey there...it is prolly the antifreeze getting the idler wet. I will try the thermo first. Thanks. So where is this hot girl in the race car????:popc1:
here ya go, I love a chick willing to try someone new. :thumbup

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
44 Posts
most likely antifreeze being leaked onto the belt. while engine is running take a few DROPS of atf and put it on the belt. the noise should go away. if it returns quickly you have a hard part failure. if it gradually returns the belt may be too far glazed and you will need to replace it. the tensioner should have significant tension against the belt. you should need at least 40 lb/ft of torque to untension the autotensioner. this is how you check for proper tension on serpentine belt systems. or buy the belt tension guage from gates belts. i have had to "reclock" the pin on the mount surface side of some tensioners to preload the belt even more on high load belt driven accessories for busses that have 3 a/c compressors, 2 alternators a p/s pump, w/p, and numerous idlers on the same belt.
 

·
Lick my balls
Joined
·
13,029 Posts
rocko350 said:
you should need at least 40 lb/ft of torque to untension the autotensioner.
I didn't know that, cool :thumbup
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ok so i replaced the thermo yesterday and the noise reduced quite a bit, i am gonna go clean my engine and then try the atf...thanks for the tips. will keep yall posted...
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top