Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
711 Posts
on mine the alt is in the top bracket and the bottom is the smog pump? 90 302. idk what engine that is though. mine is also serp belt.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That’s what I thought. This is outta an 86 f150 but the codes on the block almost look like it says 80 but it’s hard to tell. Cause the alt already has a bracket

·
Addicted to Junk
10,402 Posts
Smog or AIR pump. That's where it was on the 300s of that era. AC is always on the drivers side, with the PS pump. ALT and Smog Pump are always on the passenger side. In fords before 97 anyways..

You can just barely make it out in this JY 81.

This other 81 had a York compressor mounted there for an onboard air system (300 i6, but same idea)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys yea just wasn’t sure what in the world it was cause I knew ac was on drivers side but thought it mighta relocated it or if it was for a duel alt. I shouldn’t need it then cause I’m swaping just strait carb motor in my 91

·
Registered
957 Posts
Looks familiar. My 78 has one. I never figured out what had been there, but figured it was smog related. I think the only reason the PO left it there is due to the alternator hanging onto it. Other than that it's a bit of an eye sore sticking out like that.

·
Registered
1,333 Posts
In my 82 with the 351W the smog pump sits right on top of the alternator so I'm going with that bracket was for the smog pump
20190715_125935.jpg

·
Registered
376 Posts
Yes, smog pump. My 1981 w/302 has that bracket. If a smog pump was ever there, it's long gone.

Attachments

·
Addicted to Junk
10,402 Posts
Smog pumps date back into the 70s.

Many a 300 owner has taken theirs and chopped the smog pump part of the bracket off. Looks much cleaner.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts