Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I actually think he's got a pretty solid view on the situation. I won't stand behind any former Nazi that quipped back that he was "just following orders", why should he support someone who fights for something the he (the writer) doesn't believe in. I find the proliferation of little yellow magnetic stickers on cars to be downright disgusting, mostly because I'd rather people show their support by writing a letter, with quiet dignity from their homes (cost: $.37, money goes to USPS, shows that you really care) as opposed to slapping a sticker on your car (cost:$1-$2, money goes to China, tries to convince people that you care). I support what we are doing over there, and I fought for it, but don't show me some feighned sympathy, I don't want to hear it, I see too many people trowing "support our troops" more like " bring them home" than "I believe in what they accomplish anyway". I hear some people occasionaly who find out where I've been, and they thank me for my service, sometimes, when I hear sincere gratitude in their voice, all I can do is blush and say something roughly on the par with "gosh, t'wern't nuthin'". At least this man is willing to make a stand for what he belives, he's willing to say, "nothing personal, but I don't like what you're fighting for." I'd love to sit down and talk with that man for hours, because, in the end, he's exercising what we fought for, in a fairly resonsible manner. Every time I see a "support our troops" sticker at an anti-war demonstration, I want to hurt people and make fluids come out of their heads.
Short story, at least he's willing to come out from behind foul vanity and make a stand as a philisophical warrior.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
No, I beg to differ with this guy on several of his points.

1) I'm no "wussy", but I don't support the war, while I do support our troops. I don't support their MISSION, but I support them, my countrymen. Do I wish they would reflect on their mission more inwardly? Yes.

2) We aren't celebrating "what they've done" when they return home as much as we are celeberating the fact that they CAME home! Alive! If thats not worth celebrating, then what the hell is???

He made a few good points otherwise, but his entire pretense was way off base IMHO.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Here's the part that I personally disagree with;

"But blaming the president is a little too easy. The truth is that people who pull triggers are ultimately responsible, whether they're following orders or not. An army of people making individual moral choices may be inefficient, but an army of people ignoring their morality is horrifying. "

BTW, I don't like the little yellow ribbon magnets either!

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Blue'87GT said:
BTW, I don't like the little yellow ribbon magnets either!
then you'll love this recent quote by the fine Republican Senator Rick Santorum.

Santorum: And yet we have brave men and women who are willing to step forward because they know what's at stake. They're willing to sacrifice their lives for this great country. What I'm asking all of you tonight is not to put on a uniform. Put on a bumper sticker. Is it that much to ask? Is it that much to ask to step up and serve your country?
He knows damn good and well, that people take "Support Our Troops" stickers to be signs of support for Bush. Exactly why I don't sport one. Its a cop out anyway.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
JahWarrior said:
1) I'm no "wussy", but I don't support the war, while I do support our troops. I don't support their MISSION, but I support them, my countrymen. Do I wish they would reflect on their mission more inwardly? Yes.

2) We aren't celebrating "what they've done" when they return home as much as we are celeberating the fact that they CAME home! Alive! If thats not worth celebrating, then what the hell is???
I couldnt have said it much better myself. :thumbup

·
FJ80 Expedition Rig
1,461 Posts
Did this guy stop to think that when a soldier pulls a trigger and fires at his enemy in anger, that 99.99% of the time they don't think "Do I want to pull this trigger, because if I do, I might be construed as supporting the ideals of an elected official that happens to be over 8000 miles away putting the round peg in the square hole." In short, HELL NO! He's thinking "SHIT! That one was close, I better kill him before he kills me!" I know for a fact that I wouldn't want someone next to me contemplating the morality of his actions while I'm busy reloading.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
broncoman92 said:
I better kill him before he kills me!" I know for a fact that I wouldn't want someone next to me contemplating the morality of his actions while I'm busy reloading.
Exactly... its not like our guys are over there being treated like liberators or anything ;)

·
Registered
3,540 Posts
Interesting...

First off, I want to plainly state that I love my country but I HATE my government. That being said...

Less then 3 month ago my brother returned from Iraq a different person then he was when he went over. He's trying to readjust to life on ground that people aren't shooting at you all the time or when you go to work there's a 75% chance you're going to have to kill someone.

He left his wife and new born son to go fight for this country.

Some people say that our county didn't tell him to do so and that IMO is incorrect. The president of the United States is THE representitive of all the people of the United States. What he commands is the voice of the United States. So no matter where the US Armed Forces are sent by the President they are representing the opinion of the United States.

If we don't like how the President expresses our views then we have to vote him out and/or pressure our Senators and Congressmen to change his opinion.

The problem is that none of that shit works.

Myself and my parents put yellow magnets on all of our vehicles in support of my brother and the rest of the men and women who are fighting and dying in a now unpopular war. They didn't choose to fight. They didn't choose to go. There duty commanded them to do so. That's it. That's all.

I do not support Bush's choise to go over there and I don't like his lack of plans and false optimism for the whole region in the near future. I voted for him twice so I'm partially to blame.

I want to make 1 thing clear. My yellow magnets say "Support Our Troops" and thats what they mean to me.

Bush can go f#@& himself for all I care...the bible thumpin', right to life'n/pro-death penality (duh), debt diggin', red neck rich boy that he is.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
JahWarrior said:
then you'll love this recent quote by the fine Republican Senator Rick Santorum.

He knows damn good and well, that people take "Support Our Troops" stickers to be signs of support for Bush. Exactly why I don't sport one. Its a cop out anyway.
That guy is a fool too! :banghead

I don't have a magnet on my car because it seems like it's a fad that has grown into a ribbon for everything from Breast Cancer Awareness to Gay Pride! To be honest, I did have a yellow ribbon megnet on my BKO when they were first available (near two years ago), but have since thrown it on a cabinet in my garage.

Dogonmut-I completely understand your reason for continuing to have one on your vehicle however.:rockon

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
I want one that says, "Support our Magnetic Sticker Industry."

·
is FSB'd out
5,159 Posts
Potamus said:
I'd buy one. Not because it's funny, but that I do truly support the ceo's and corporate investors of the magnetic sticker manufacturers. They need us now more than ever.

·
Registered
926 Posts
didn't read the article but figured I'd through my 2 pennies in on the magnet things.

I guess about a year ago a group that calls themselves a church (i believe more of a cult but that is another story) came into my office to sell those yellow magnets. I think they were about 7 or 10 dollars. I asked where the money was going to, they were shocked and asked what did I mean. I asked, "is the money going to 'support our troops', or their families, or maybe to wife of the soldier that just died and left the new born with no father?" their answer... "the money is going to our school" I then asked, "well if I support our troops and give money to your school can my nephew attend classes there?" answer: no. my reply: get out of my office. so anyhoo, sorry for a strange post, but things like this really piss me off.

·
o[|||]o
11,146 Posts
Potamus said:
Thats great! :thumbup You better run with the idea before I do! ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts