Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:whiteflag

81 Bronco recent 400m recent tranny recent carb, basically everything under the hood has been replace in the past year.

I go to crank up the Beast this morning after a doctors appointment, but all I get is 'click'. I'm thinking starter right away, but wanted to rule out the battery first. Took the cables off the battery, cleaned the post, reseated the cables and still 'click'. I then change shirts, put on some gloves and take the starter out. One of the brackets broke off when I was taking it off. Walked about 3/4 of mile up to a parts store, matched up the starter, walked back hooked the new starter back up and get the same result 'click'. I was done at that point, took the selenoid off and called for a ride. I will tackle it after work. So after I replace the selenoid and still get the click, what do you think it could be? I had been having problems with the starter for the past 2 months, so I know it was bad.

I guess the new starter could be bad, it sure wouldn't be the first time.

·
Registered
319 Posts
there should be some way to check voltage at the starter somewhere, ive seen the same thing b4 but it was corrosion on the cable at the clamp on the batt.

does it sound like its engaging the flywheel, or is it that sound u get when u have absolutely no charge?? maybe it needs to be shimmed or sumthing i dunno

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
Did you not try to jump the relay before removing it to see that it was in fact a faulty relay? Regardless, I'm pretty sure it is the relay.

·
Designated Tranny Killer
6,960 Posts
selnoid is my best guess

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not sure what you mean by jumping the relay. Can you explain, I am a very, very novice mechanic (I actually wouldn't even use the work mechanic). My truck has made me somewhat of a mechanic.

·
Lick my balls
13,029 Posts
The terminals with the heavy wires coming off of them. If you jump the connection it will turn the motor over without the key. (touch one terminal and the other terminal with either a heavy wire or my preference the handle end of a crescent wrench to the terminals)

·
Satyr of the Midwest
17,736 Posts
How old are the battery cables?

·
Roller rockers are gay
19,197 Posts
:stupid

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm gonna go with the bad battery voltage. I have had so many flippin' Fords in my short driving carreer, and that sound is the worst thing! First off, check or charge the battery. If that fails, boost or buy a new one.

I have had bad starters, but never had one 'click' at me. Selenoid, yes...but only once. Bad batterys or discharged battery...99% of the time. Had it one the beast I got now too. So I went and bought an Optima Red Top. Works great now! (Well...at least starts great!)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts