Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Cant seem to get the gap to close up.
'79 D60. New wedges from JD, new 2º bushings, 3/4" spacer. Cage radius arm rear half, with stock front half. Definitely over torqued in that pic , look at the bushing squeezing out.

Dumb question im sure, but all 4 wedges are the same, right? They all have the same # cast into the back of em. i swapped em back and forth, flipped em over, etc until i found what appeared to be the proper way to mount em on the axle, but something is obviously still wrong. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
reptillikus said:
Cant seem to get the gap to close up.

Dumb question im sure, but all 4 wedges are the same, right? They all have the same # cast into the back of em. i swapped em back and forth, flipped em over, etc until i found what appeared to be the proper way to mount em on the axle, but something is obviously still wrong. Any thoughts?
Yes, all 4 bushings are the same, you just flip them over and run one upside down. Measure the back edge of rear wedge to front edge of forward wedge and I'll measure the stock 44 housing I got when I get home, about an hour (I'll call ya). I'm thinking your wedges may be too tall (overall, front to back).

You sure you have the wedges seated right in the bushings?? (I had to ask :toothless ). Also, I know mine usually get way overtorqued (like a bazillion ft-lbs) to get them on, then I back off and retorque after they are seated.

·
The Doc
1,157 Posts
it looks like the wedges are not in the right position they should be like this <> those look a bit off but i could be wrong :)

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
You know what, after looking at your first pic again, it looks like you have to flip one of those bushings over. There is a thin side and fat side, may not be that noticable since they are only 2 degree-ers. You want the thin side on the bottom in rear and top in front.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
I wouldnt say you are too overtorqued on those bushings yet. When they are new like that, they do like to flair more, IME. What is the torque on those bolts?

Are the tubes aany thincker on 78/9 versus the later KP's? If not, something is missing.

Why did you stop where it is? Did the bolt stop turning or did you just think the bushings were stressed too much? Hate to state the obvious, but your bolts have enuf thread right?

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bushings are right, they are stamped 'rear bottom' and 'front bottom', so i know i didnt mess that up :toothless
I stalled out my impact gun (IR 2112) running those bolts down, which means theres close to 200ft/lbs on the bolts in those pics. (yes i put a ratchet on em, theyre damn tight) Bolts are not too long, those are the stock ones that come with the Cage arms, which are technically a hair too short with the spacer in there.

Are the cast wedges all the same (ie, 1 p/n for all 4)? They have the same # cast in the back of all of em. Im swear theyre on there right though. There doesnt appear to be more than one ppssible combination that doesnt point em in the wrong directions.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
Any pics of the welded on wedge? Where did you get them from? The cage cast IIRC is the same part number, either side. You will need to go get some new slightly longer 9/16ths grade 8's, and you already checked to make sure you have the bushings in top/bottom. Did you see my other post in Gearheads thread....I just checked the instructions from Cage....90-110 ft lbs on those. I would say pull em off again and check and see how the bushings are seating on everything...if they are seating right on the wedges you welded on the axle, or if they aren't seating into the cast C pieces, they won't fit totally snug.

·
Excessively Engineered
2,917 Posts
PM Chris Chris85xlt he drilled a peice of 1/4" or 1/2" steel and put it between the cap and the radius arm.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wedges are not welded on yet. I wanted to get it standing on all 4s before i welded them to asure proper caster angle.
i assume this is the correct way they should be installed

excuse the fuzzy pic, but my flash doesnt work. This would point the rear end of the radius arms inwards towards each other. flipping them would point the rear end of the rad. arms outwards.
The bushings are stamped

flip it upside down and it says 'Rear Bottom'.

I checked again and confirmed everything is sitting properly. unfortunately, i stripped out the threads on the Cage arm playing with it (constantly putting it together & taking it apart), so im either going to retap them or drill em out and use larger bolts & nuts.
lightnin, i already have 3/4" spcers in there.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Im gonna look there now. The tube appears to be 3" in DIA. I may end up out there later with a caliper to confirm if there is the possibility of it being larger.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
Just for future reference. I measured end to end in the center of
each wedge on a 78 D44 housing and got 6.15. I also meaured the
axle tube on 78, D44 and D60 housings. The 44 has the cast pieces
were the wedge is, but the axle tube itself is 2.96. The D60 axle
tube was 3.36. So can someone tell me why you need a 3/4 spacer
when the difference in axle tubes is only 4 tenths??

Also, here is 3 pics of the wedges.

·
Premium Member
3,160 Posts
It sure does not look like you have as much angle as the stock wedges, but then again,
maybe you don't need as much with the bent cage arms??

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Does the installation instructions call for lubing the bushings(both inside and outside of the bushing).I would think that the bushings would bind if put in dry.I would use a silicone grease on the bushings.

·
Former owner of Shadofax
17,038 Posts
bronco1 said:
Does the installation instructions call for lubing the bushings(both inside and outside of the bushing).I would think that the bushings would bind if put in dry.I would use a silicone grease on the bushings.
yes, they do.

RepT....Ox just got ya what I was trying to figure out how I might...distance from center of wedges on my D44 so that you can compare the total distance to your wedges as they sit now. This will also determine the thickness of added spacer you will need.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No directions with my arms.
I was trying to put them in dry :brownbag
Ill try lubing em up and do the other side tomorrow, i suppose that could be the whole problem.

I measured the axle tube at a hair over 3". The D60 bible says all D60s are 3.125, so that # must be right. I roughed a measurement like Ox's and came up with approximately 6.5", which seems to go in line with his axle tube dia difference of ~1/2". Its a little difficult to hold both wedges in place & still get an accurate measurement by yourself.
So in all honesty, everything apears right, and it might just be me being a moron by not knowing i had to lube the bushings. Ill try that on the other side tomorrow.

Does anyone see a prblem with drilling & heli-coiling the stripped threads in the one arm? 9/16 12 HC's are rated for 200,000 PSI min. tensile strength, which is greater than a Gr8 (150k) or even L9 (180k) bolt, so it seems like it would work.

·
ate lug
88 + 96 broncos, 96 F250
8,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I might. My father has a ton of heli-coils at work, so he wanted to see if he had that size. I personally was considering just a nut & bolt, i dunno if i trust a helicoil to do that job, despite their claims on how well they work.

Ill get a second pair of hands tomorrow and get a good measurement of total width on my wedges to compare to yours. Theres a good chance my problem is bushing bind; ive never worked on this style susp before, and had no idea i had to lube the bushings, it seems plausible that could be the problem keeping me from pulling it down all the way.

·
Master Bater
7,277 Posts
might be the problem.

When i was putting my suspension together, i used masking tape to hold the wedges together while trying to get everything bolted up. It will break when you put everything on, but hold the wedges in place until then. its like a friend you never knew you had.:goodfinge

1 - 20 of 42 Posts