Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My starter had been acting up latly, and didnt want to start today, so i pulled the starter off, and the inside where the gear was, was caked with mud, so i cleaned it out pretty decent, put it back on, and it starts like its brand new again. but while i was under there, i noticed my transmission, looks like its missing something and wide open to the elements, I didnt notice it before, and i take this truck in the mud very very often, so my trans is probably caked with mud too.
I dont know everything about these trucks, thats why I'm a member here, but i do know enough to think something is missing.

Also, the main reason I noticed it, is I saw a little bit of oil on my driveway, and my truck has never leaked before, so i was looking for the source of the leak and saw it.
So is that a part that could have fallen off recently?
It looks like motor oil, shouldnt it be trans fluid if it was leaking?
My trans dipstick says its still full and the fluid on the stick is still red

·
OUT OF BUSINESS / M.I.A
4,659 Posts
Your missing a little sheet metal cover plate, held on by 4 short bolts of two different sizes. Junk yard price shouldn't be more that $2.00. Or maybe one of the guys has one here they'll sell you. Regardless, get one a.s.a.p..............

·
Registered
710 Posts
yep, that's what got your starter gear all caked up. Check the classifieds section for people parting out trucks and post a wanted ad. should work off of any bronco or f-150/f-250 with that engine and transmission.

·
Kitteh Commandaar!
4,194 Posts
Yep...missing a transmission/flexplate inspection cover. Quick an easy to put on. If you ever seperate the tranny from the motor, theres a few studs 4-6, that connect the torque converter to the flexplate...

KC

·
Registered
133 Posts
Also, the main reason I noticed it, is I saw a little bit of oil on my driveway, and my truck has never leaked before, so i was looking for the source of the leak and saw it.
So is that a part that could have fallen off recently?
It looks like motor oil, shouldnt it be trans fluid if it was leaking?
My trans dipstick says its still full and the fluid on the stick is still red
if there is oil coming out of that inspection area with the ring gear its your rear main seal that is leaking.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
whew, thanks guys, Im glad its not major, and ill head to the junkyard tomorrow and grab one.
Thanks for the help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts