Bronco Forum - Full Size Ford Bronco Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've replaced radius arm bushings before, but I've never had this issue, and in having the same issue from 2 different kits.

I've attached a pic to show what I mean. There's clearly enough room for the bracket and the but ti thread on, right? WRONG! I tried compressing this bushing stack with a decent ratchet strap (2") and snapped the SOB before the bushings ever compressed. I tried installing without the black spacer, but the rear bushing split apart real quick!

So what am I missing here? To I need to block the rear wheels and push the arm with a tractor or what? What have you guys done with these newer kits to get them installed?

I need this axle installed last week...

Attachments

·
Registered
39 Posts
If I remember right the black part goes on just before the very last washer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
39 Posts
The urethane bushing should be sandwiching the bracket. Nothing else between them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Even without the black spacer, there's the same amount of thread "showing".

As in, with just the urethane bushings on either side of the bracket, the front one never touched the face of the bracket and the rear one split in 2. It's like the from one needs about a 1/4" shaved off the back?

·
Addicted to Junk
85 Bronco, 309ci I6 w/4bbl, np435, 4" lift, 37" Irok NDs, 4.56 w/ Detroit Locker and tru trac
12,291 Posts
The black plastic bushing is in the correct place, but maybe needs flipped around to cup the rear bushing. Then the smaller diameter end (not the cone) of the front bushing which is currently being cupped by the black thingy fits inside the bracket.

Reactions: sackman9975

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Those are what I thought I should have and what I remember using, but these ones that have are what comes up on every parts fiche I've looked at?

·
Registered
95 5.8L XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Manual hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15's, 301K miles
818 Posts
Something doesn't look right between your pictures and my picture. It appears your forward poly bushing has a very long taper to the front of it compared to the one below and the Red poly one in @jermil01, pictures.

Image result for nylon radius arm bushing replacement

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Again, those are what I remember using last time. These tapered ones are just like what came off this axle (from under our rotted bronco).

Here's a screenshot. They look like what I'll refer to as the "old style" bushings (the correct ones). Notice the part number, FA7125. There were 2 boxes on the shelf (I used to work for them) and both boxes has these bushings with the longer nose on them, which I'll refer to them as the "new style" radius arm bushings.

Attachments

·
Registered
95 5.8L XLT, Hedman Shorties/MF SS Y & Muff, E4OD, Manual hubs, KYB Quads, 31x10.5x15's, 301K miles
818 Posts
So buy the right ones from a different company/Manufacturer. Ford sells a Thermoplastic Blue set that falls somewhere between rubber and poly bushings. Sometimes New style doesn't necessarily mean Better or will fit right.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
[Rant] Right, but those aren't carried in parts stores. I can order MOOG ones from rockauto, but I needed them yesterday. I should've been pulling the engine and transmission to swap the litter mileage ones in this week and I need the suspension on the ground to do that. I start back to work Monday and will be totally screwed on getting the big parts of this thing done. [Endrant/]

I know that forum posts have gotten the attention of manufacturers on their mass defects in the past. If this really is one, then I hope it gets corrected.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ordered the MOOG set from rockauto. Earliest arrival for an extra $103 is Wednesday, so I took the el cheapo option for Friday. Kinda screwed either way, unless I can get the radius arms pulled out of the brackets with the pivots still connected to the drop brackets to install the MOOG set when it gets here.

I have to drive across county to work on this truck. I don't have a hoist here or anything to roll one on, but my folks have a tractor with a loader on it that's just big enough to lift the engine for the swap. Oh, and they closed the 2 shortest/quickest routes to get there, so I get to burn through the diesel twice everytime I go to work in the gas truck:poop:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
MOOG K8361

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The Moog K80006 appears to also have the long cone on the front bushing.

·
Registered
632 Posts
The Moog K80006 appears to also have the long cone on the front bushing.
I see. Although the Moog website lists K80006 as applicable to 80-86 Broncos. Didn’t catch your year but I honestly wasn’t expecting the bushing set to be any different.
I was thinking about having a shop change out the bushings while drilling out the bracket rivets. Perhaps I’ll it both and send the one back we don’t use.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts